Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Still reeling and sick

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Here's what should be done with him....

Make sure that the statements are made that we will not tolerate this, and this is what happens to those who choose to become these "self proclaimed bearer of innocent death".
I agree with you except for one thing; he should not be put to death. Now, with that said, under our current system of 'punishment', yes, death is the preferred outcome. But your scenario of what to do with him would never happen in our society. It's not PC. But assuming society changed and we COULD do what you suggest, then death would not be my choice, even after everything you described should happen to him before death. Death is an easy way out. In death, he is free, released of all worldly burdens, crimes, pain and suffering. What God will do to him is another matter and the topic of an entirely different discussion. This guy, and those like him, NEED to suffer for the rest of their natural life. Every hour of every day. A lifetime of torture and pain would only begin to make him pay for what he has done. But again, it'll never happen in our current society.

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Alas, I hope I never have to find out how accurate I am when being shot at.
I am, without question, the absolute worst shot you will ever meet. The only way I could inflict injury with a handgun is if I were to throw it at them. But as strange as it may seem, sometimes when the pressure is on, you can shoot like your life depends on it!

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Some people just shouldn't ever own a weapon let alone AR15 with a 100 round mag. The red hair should have set off a red flag with any gun dealer with half a brain. I wonder if the gun dealer that sold him the weapons has any remorse?
The red hair is something new to this guy. He looked like a fairly respectable upstanding guy until just before his attack. And being a PhD candidate, I'm sure he was well spoken and as articulate as the next guy. Maybe you're right about the gun dealer, but maybe not too.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Thanks for all the good and sane perspectives.

I wish more people understood that the problem is human, not mechanical.

I have always had firearms in my life and was taught how to use them as tools.

And again, I vote for cheap, sparse accommodations for the idiot. Death is too easy an out.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Guys, body armor or not, if you put 2 in the center of mass, it will not make a bit of difference that they did not penetrate.

Believe me, 2 major caliber hits and he wouldn't be continuing to attack, at the minimum it would give you time to overpower him.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Later reports were stating he was not wearing 'armor' but only a black nylon "tactical" vest.

Many "Gun Grabbers" keep whining about the "Gun Show Loophole".
(Private sellers not required to perform background checks)
Every 'mass shooting' so far, the bad guys all passed background checks at gun dealers before aquiring their firearms.
And every one I can remember took place in an area where possession of firearms was restricted if not prohibited.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Many people are now shopping for guns. First time gun owners are on the rise because of this tragedy . I know for myself I will not think about going to a movie the same way as before. Many more people will be armed when they go to the movies now. This could start a new wave of violence at theaters if someone pulls a weapon out while others are in the theater. We may even see security with body scanners like at airports going into a theater someday. People need to feel safe but with so many crazy people owning weapons these days that may never be possible anymore.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM

"An Armed Society Is Polite Society".

Maybe folks will stay off their cellphones in the middle of a movie now......
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the firearm, mankind was killing each other and doing a **** fine job of too.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.
--William Burroughs
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by patdaly
Guys, body armor or not, if you put 2 in the center of mass, it will not make a bit of difference that they did not penetrate.

Believe me, 2 major caliber hits and he wouldn't be continuing to attack, at the minimum it would give you time to overpower him.
I seem to recall some "expert" mentioning that the majority of active shooters tend to surrender at a sign of force. two round or a mag full, to the chest will get most people's attention. Even the north hollywood shootout changed when hits started landing on them and they were well prepared and well motivated.

I haven't heard anything about not having body armor, the only report was he was wearing body armor and leggings along with the gas mask.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I seem to recall some "expert" mentioning that the majority of active shooters tend to surrender at a sign of force. two round or a mag full, to the chest will get most people's attention. Even the north hollywood shootout changed when hits started landing on them and they were well prepared and well motivated.

I haven't heard anything about not having body armor, the only report was he was wearing body armor and leggings along with the gas mask.
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=279073
Attached Thumbnails Still reeling and sick-blackhawk-urban-assault-vest-black1.jpg   Still reeling and sick-holmesreceipt.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM

its not that I doubted you. the extend of my news watching is checking the headlines on my igoogle page before I see whats posted on wired and slashdot and about my 35 minutes on the treadmill
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Not
I know many news outlets are reporting only the things that will generate ratings......whether they're half-truths, or outright lies makes no difference.
A shooter wearing 'armor' makes a better sound-bite than a shooter wearing a black nylon vest.

Also those 100 round .223 magazines are pretty well known to be "Jam-O-Matics".
Just as HIS was.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Sad fact of this tragedy is shooter contacted his shrink telling him what he was going to do a week before it happen. Letter sat in mail room unopened for one week. When they finally opened letter he had already carried out his plans fore mass murder. For some reason he wanted to be caught and stopped. We will never know who wasn't doing their job, but I'm sure that person knows that he or she dropped the ball in preventing these murders.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I live in the area. The local news media did a decent job of covering it. While his name did make it out initailly all the local coverage I saw or heard was they would not name him or show his picture (to the point of belaboring it) though his name and picture had already been let out previously to these statements. He went to court day before yesterday and his picture was on during most of the report so .... According to the police chief he was wearing body armor torso, legs, neck protector, helmet, gas mask. Guns were locally and legally purchased within the previous week from two local big name outlets (two 40 cal semi auto pistols one of which was in his car, ar15, 870 shotgun). Only thing on his record was a speeding ticket a couple years ago. Had just bought 6000 rounds of ammo that had been delivered within the previous week as well. His apartment had been booby trapped with trip wires and multiple ieds. In fact they are still clearing it out, others in the apartment building are still not able to go home yet. It seems like he had a timer on his stereo system as the neighbors complained about extremely loud music at 1am (just after the event took place). At least one neighbor knocked on his door to get him to turn it down. Obviously went unanswered however door was unlocked thank goodness she didnt go in as there was a trip wire at the door. Police arrived on scene within 90 seconds of the 911 call (police station within a few blocks) and ambulances on scene in less than 3 mintues. Police caught him outside the theater within 5 minutes. Kudos to the well trained leos they say he was dressed as a swat team member and was acting like he was part of the police force however there was one peice of equipment that wasnt right and that is what tipped off the officer who got him (they would not say what piece of equip that was perhaps the gas mask as the first officers on scene were calling immediately and forcefully over the radio for gas masks).

Several of the victims died as a result of purposely shielding someone else whether a loved one or a stranger.

Local morning news reports gun sales in the state are up 43 percent and that ccp classes are up significantly as well. The governor (a democrat) has been seemingly very careful about not crying for more gun control over this kudos to him for that and in fact said it would not have mattered as if he wanted he could have done as much or more damage without guns. And that this was done by the person. We will see what the state legislature does. Have also read about the same in Washington that some congresspersons are calling for some but seems to be falling on deaf ears.

This pos should be taken out to an unnamed location given a shovel to dig a hole told to jump in and then a single bullet to the head I am not sure I would even take the time or effort to throw dirt on him. Over and done with he would be forgotten in no time (by the masses, certainly not the victims). His long term jail time will be a constant reminder that he is still around not to mention the cost. Same by the time he gets executed if he does as for some reason they are still not sure if they are going to pursue the death penalty. They are wanting input from the victims on that. His lawyer is a public defender. While not guilty by reason of insanity has been brought up by the media his lawyer has not said anything about it yet.

Whether local law or not unsure but the local gun show venues do not allow private selling of firearms on the premises there are signs everywhere. Locally if you buy a gun at the gun show you are passing a background check before the sale/transfer is completed. Again unsure if that is statewide or just the Denver metro area or if it is just the rules of the venues they use.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 PM

barry... thanks for the local report. I saw today that weekend sales were up 25% over average and a 43% jump from the previous weekend. Hopefully, these people will get proper training on the use.

As far as doing more damage and leaving a life long memory. I was headed home from Kansas and decided to go thru Tulsa instead of OKC on the morning of April 19, 1995.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Extended audio of the aurora shootings.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d07_1343039428

You can hear a lot of the victims crying and moaning in the background, it looks like nobody is prepared to receive mass casualties.

Sounded like complete chaos.

Jim

Quick Reply: Still reeling and sick