Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Snake in the hub cap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snake in the hub cap!

Got home from camping in Hot Springs, NC this weekend and unhooked the camper. Looked over at the front passenger tire and saw something that looked like a snake sticking out of the hubcap.

Name:  IMAG0120.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  62.3 KB

Looked closer and sure enought it was a snake.

Name:  IMAG0119.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  33.2 KB

Took a stick to try and get it off, then I realized only part of it was showing. Popped the hub cap off and there it all was.

Name:  IMAG0122.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  26.2 KB

Only thing I can figure out is that the snake crawled up in the wheel from the backside since it rained quite a bit to get away from the water. Then when I started home it couldn't get out and centrifugal force squeezed him out while I was going down the road. There's a stream of blood on the tire so I guess he bled out on the way home. Darndes thing I've ever seen.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Thats pretty wild. Wonder what kind it is. Its probably the best kind to find on your truck (dead).
Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Only good snake is a dead one.. My snake moto: "I see, I shoot, I run"

Those things scare the beejesus out of me
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's just weird. Although that sorta takes the fun out of aiming for a snake on the road
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Thats pretty wild. Wonder what kind it is. Its probably the best kind to find on your truck (dead).
When I read the title, I had to look and see if it wasn't you posting the thread, given your natural attraction to these sorts of things.........
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

I'll bet he had one heck of a dizzy spell

Cincy? You??? Afraid of snakes???? Are you Indiana Jones?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Only good snake is a dead one.. My snake moto: "I see, I shoot, I run"

Those things scare the beejesus out of me
couple years ago 7 of us went on a 1200 mile harley ride. Abq to Douglas AZ to Tombstone, Springer and back to Albquerque. Between Tombstone and Springer we saw a few rattlers on the road dead. ended up coming up on one that had just been run over by the car in front of me so I could not swerve fase enough. Lifted my legs up and started screamin like a lil girl. I hate snakes!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Looks like a baby water moccasin. I watched a baby one eat a tree frog this weekend while out looking for our new baby longhorn bull that went AWOL.

Gary
Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by patdaly
When I read the title, I had to look and see if it wasn't you posting the thread, given your natural attraction to these sorts of things.........
Yeah. He has given me yet another thing to worry about. My luck it would have flipped out of the hub cap and come zipping in through the drivers window.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
DTR Mom

my luck, it would come out when my face was about three inches from working on the tire. luckily, so many state inmates come from new york city, they are terrified of mice, snakes, woodchucks, and their own shadow......
too much exposure to snakes makes me not care a bit. stupid enough to get closer to see what kind they are......

except them thar florida pythons that "Billy the Exterminator" goes after....shudder.....~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Looks like a northern water snake from what I can see. Probably couldn't stand the G forces and the brake heat for the duration.
I usually catch about a half dozen black snakes a year and turn loose under the house. Best mouse trap ever made

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Pretty sure it was just a rat snake and pretty young. It was only about 12" to 14" long. I did jump back from the truck when I first walked up on it. I'll definitely think about it every time I take a wheel off the truck.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator

The pattern from one angle looks like copperhead but more like brown water snake.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
Looks like a northern water snake from what I can see. Probably couldn't stand the G forces and the brake heat for the duration.
I usually catch about a half dozen black snakes a year and turn loose under the house. Best mouse trap ever made

I emailed the photos to a Professor of Biology at Davidson College and he said it was a northern water snake.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by rconkin
I emailed the photos to a Professor of Biology at Davidson College and he said it was a northern water snake.
That must be a rebel cousin. They are darker and have fewer marking on them up here. Too much sun.

Quick Reply: Snake in the hub cap!