Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Smoke Alarms, Batteries and Daylight Savings Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Interesting. Never heard of them!
I got the name wrong, they are Mastergard Heat Detectors per the tag on them..

this is what they look like:

Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, please don't take this as an attack on you or what you're using for a fire detection system. I like the idea of a mechanical detection system and, never having heard of them, I wanted to know more. Also, I'm now a part of a state-wide action committee here in Michigan to acquire and distribute free smoke alarms to every household in the state. The Michigan Fire Marshal is spearheading this program and I, along with 10 other people in various positions across the state were asked to sit on and advise how to proceed. One of the other people on this committee is the head of Underwriters Laboratories, Fire Detection and Suppression Systems testing in the UL Chicago office, and he didn't know too much about them either except to say he knew about them. He wasn't sure if they'd ever done testing on them as he's only been in that position for a couple of years. Taking into account how battery operated smoke alarms often fail due to unmaintained batteries, it really piqued my interest as to whether this was something we should look into. What I found however wasn't so promising. The Masterguard company has been at the center of several lawsuits relating to failed or late/inadequate activations, as well as the company's lack of response to customer inquiries. Further searching revealed that Masterguard doesn't actually manufacture the devices, (and there are many variations to the product), but Interstate Engineering, of Dallas Texas actually makes them. There was also a CPSC recall of these devices in 2007, the details of which can be found here: http://wemakeitsafer.com/tools/Recal...call_No=245712 and here; http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/p.../99092org.html

The recall also states;
"Heat detectors are intended to supplement smoke detectors to warn of fire, but CPSC reminds consumers they should not rely on heat detectors as substitutes for smoke detectors."

Again, not trying to bash you buddy, but I want you and your great family to REMAIN a great family, not one that has been thru the devastation of a fire, burn injuries and lost lives!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Scott, no bashing at all there!!
This is your expertise, not mine..
and I was actually hoping for some input since I have no experience with these either..
I honestly just never thought to research them, after the local Volunteer Chief and the company who did the home inspection gave them a thumbs up.. Guess I am shopping for some newer dectectors this weekend.. I do take it seriously since I LOVE my woodburning fireplace..... and this IS a 110 yr old wood frame house....and THE BOSS JR now lives here with us
I appreciate the info friend!! ya just earned some cookies, if I can talk THE BOSS into baking ..
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM

BTW, since I am now in the market for newer ones.. what are the "good", "OK" and " worst" ones?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
BTW, since I am now in the market for newer ones.. what are the "good", "OK" and " worst" ones?
PM will be sent momentarily.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Scott - - I did a lot of fire restoration as a contractor. I found so many homes, and especially mobile homes, had no detectors of any nature. I opened a division in the company to install systems since it worked in so well with my business. In the process, I found many instances where some had disabled their smoke detectors due to misfires. These were in places where fumes, smoke and certain gases were around a lot and would trigger the detectors. I looked around and found an excellent heat detector and would use that in those sensitive areas. A garage is a typical place and some work areas where certain gases were prevelent. Using these in those areas along with a central system in the rest of the establishment seemed to be a good combination. It is true the heat detector will not fire off as quickly as the smokie, but in some cases it was that or nothing. We especially used them over grilles and cook areas in restaurants. Smoke detectors went off all the time - - the heat unit would only blow when a flare up occurred with no one watching it for some reason. Also used them in a forge.

Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heat detectors have no business being in a residential structure unless it is in a room that is heated by a wood burning stove. The warning system is to late to activate thus greatly reducing the chances of escape. A lot of false activations in regular ionization detectors in mobil homes was due to the building materials used, they would gas off, more so during the winter months due to heat being on.

I have been in hundreds and hundreds of structure fires, rescued people over ladders, dragged them down hallways and stairs, nearly choked some out because they were so disoriented and suffering from hypoxia that they would become combative when you try to get them out. What was the one common denominator? No working or networked detectors. Anyone who had properly working detectors was usually on the street upon arrival, (most cases). Most times when we rolled up an a 5 story block and people were outside we knew we were catching a job.