Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Second only to Tiger Woods

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second only to Tiger Woods

sportsillustrated
Mackey #2 on Sports Illustrated's List of Top 25 Toughest Athletes!
The incredible Lance Mackey is once again basking in the sports limelight with a very distinctive honor. Last year, Mackey was one of the elite nominees for the highly-coveted ESPY Award. Last week, Sports Illustrated released its list of the Top 25 Toughest Athletes—Mackey placed second behind Tiger Woods. Here's what SI had to say about the 2008 Iditarod Champion:

Lance Mackey: What makes him tough: Caginess and steadfast refusal to quit in the face of throat cancer (2001), hostile terrain and 40-below temperatures. He did the impossible in sled dog racing — win the 1,000- mile Yukon Quest and 1,100-mile Iditarod within a month — not once, but in two straight years, most recently this year on frostbitten feet that hadn't fully healed after the Quest.

Defining moment: Held off four-time winner Jeff King in the 2008 Iditarod by eschewing sleep and sneaking out of their lodging while his pursuer dozed to grab an insurmountable 54-minute lead in the final grueling climb on the coast of the Bering Sea.

Old school match: Dick Mackey. Lance's father helped found the Iditarod and is the only musher to win the race in a photo finish (1978).

On a side note...
Iditarod champion Jeff King charged with illegal moose kill

Not a big King fan, He's an arrogant stuck on himself, pointed part of a rose, hope he gets the Max fine.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Guess no one thought this was strange, maybe I'm a bit biased....

The 25 Toughest Athletes

First place Tiger Woods...
Winning by 11 strokes at Bay Hill in 2003 despite the ravages of food poisoning that made him greener than the winner's jacket at August and blowing chunks in the bushes between shots. He finished at 19 under. A mortal golfer would have been six under - as in feet

Second Place Lance Mackey...
Caginess and steadfast refusal to quit in the face of throat cancer (2001), hostile terrain and 40-below temperatures. He did the impossible in sled dog racing -- win the 1,000- mile Yukon Quest and 1,100-mile Iditarod within a month - not once, but in two straight years, most recently this year on frostbitten feet that hadn't fully healed after the Quest.

Guess its pretty tough being a Golfer.....
Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Dog mushing tougher than golf?

Yeah right!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
DTR Mom

Can't remember a time when I was afraid of a golfer...

been more than a few hats tipped to mushers and their legends.

Seppela is my favorite, cause I liked that he escewed the whip. but his voice alone could stop a male dog fight. we know nothing can stop the female fights but cold water and four handlers...

heheh watched the Masters today, they couldn't handle a breeze blowing at 14 mph......

no musher actually gets a break 'riding' on the sled..people know that right?
tough to keep up strength in cold and physical stuff while yelling encouragement to the pups.....like to see Shaq do that...

no tv timeouts like in football.....but haven't gotten slammed to the ground by a 320 pound lineman either..LOL

Heidi now chuckling at the thought of golfers
Old 04-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Excuse me, just a minute here.

The dog mushers don't have to put up with all those high temperatures, and humidity spoiling their perfect drives ( other than falling in a lake or river, or perhaps overflow ) And lets face it, the dogs do ALL the work ( the musher running ahead/beside/behind the sled is just for exercise, like jogging in place.. at a dead run...over ice and snow and boulders and logs and etc. )

The mushers don't have the pressure of being in the lead, and missing a critical shot ( like getting lost on the back of solomon's dome, or someone forgetting to mark the trail properly )

They don't have the legions of fans lining the trail, its just them, the dogs, and the northern lights.

Yeah, 1000 miles of that stuff, makes for a doughboy at the end of the day.

Second to Tiger Woods. I hardly think so. Some of those metrosexual sports writers need to pull their heads out of their butts, and realize that oxygen isn't just an option.

BTW, I do not have an opinion on this....
Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM

A little respect here gentlemen. What Tiger has accomplished is phenomenal. He isn't just the best golf, he's the best by quite a bit. Tiger will completely rewrite the book on golf and golf achievements.

With that said, what MacKey is fantastic too. No doubt what he's done is quite a feat. Guarantee you if Tiger met him, he'd congratulate him as I'm sure MacKey would do for Tiger.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Top ten also includes Anderson Silva and Fedor Emilianenko who are both Mixed Martial Arts Phenoms if you guys want to talk tough......
Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Hhhmmm lets see: If there was a 320lbs NFL lineman or Tiger Woods barreling down on me? I'll take my chances with Tiger
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM

One of the things it was based on was..." How about the ability to overcome serious personal setbacks, such as a dire injury or illness, and return to the highest level of performance?" I just don't see that a guy on a golf course who can ride around on a cart, has cold drinks brought to him, has a umbrella for shade , and paramedics and doctors on the course. sure he had food poisoning and got sick in the bushes...But compared to a recovering cancer patient out in the bush of Alaska, at 40 below, with frozen appendages, closest hot drink and medical help miles away, has his sled rear ended and one dog almost killed and 4 others scared an hurt, and still finish the race. now I'm not taking anything away from any of the other people, they are all tops in their sport, I just think Lance had a harder day than Tiger. IMHO