Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

San Diego, Ca. whats it like there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego, Ca. whats it like there?

I lived in Woodland Hills, Ca. a few years ago for work. I've returned back home to N.Y. Just curious as to how similar or if it is, San Diego is to L.A? I'm referring to the overall package. Traffic, congestion, cost of living, type of people there. From what I saw briefly viewing a map, it is not as big as L.A.

Just looking for feedback. I may take another job out there.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Well, My wife and I just moved back to Colorado from San Diego. My wife and and I were able to sell our home in Carlsbad (Praise the Lord). We'd been living in Carlsbad since late 2003. One of the biggest reasons we moved was that San Diego is WAY OVERPOPULATED! and for good reason, the weather is great if you dont care for seasons. It is mid 60s to mid 70s all year round. some days are overcast (marine layer), and a lot are sunny. Always a cool ocean breeze if your within 6-8 miles from the coast. The traffic is terrible, my wife was commuting about 20 miles from C-bad to La Jolla (pronounced La hoya) and it would take her an HOUR!!! an HOUR to GO 20 MILES!!!! Not to mention the 45 min or so to get home in the evening! My commute was easier going North to Camp Pendleton, barely any traffic (lots of cars, just going fast). As far as cost of living goes, everything is more expensive! A beer downtown in a bar will cost you $6-$7 and a mixed drink is around $10! My wife and I bought our house in 2004, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, less than 1/4 acre lot, 2 car garage, 1690 sq.ft. Tiny yard. Ready?..... $655,000!!!!! (Not worth that much now, but regardless its outragous) So the people are rude, everyone thinks their Mercedes is better than the others, they all have more important things to do the be curteous on the road,or the mall, or the grocery store, the kids there are so spoiled rotten theyre a burden to society! My wife is a Cali girl, and she told me the move to Colorado has been the best decision we've ever made! Dont get me wrong, I do badmouth SoCal, but there are aspects that I miss. I miss the Desert! and Once you get North of Los Angeles, the rest of the state has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:29 AM

My wife and I just left also. Came back east after I retired. We lived in Chula Vista, just south of San Diego proper, and loved it. The weather is great. BUT,,,, it IS very crowded, expensive, rude and the people are all ways in a big hurry to get nowhere on the freeways. Having said that we have some very good friends there that we miss a lot and the weather is the best you will find in the USA bar none!! Just depends on how much it is worth to you! It's called the sun shine tax!! I am now retired and on a fixed income. Spent most of my life moving around in the military so did not invest in any property there. That has made it out of reach for us and we had to move to more reasonable prices. I would be there now if the situation allowed it..