Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Safety Check

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
..."HEY DUMMY'S,...!!!" ..
That's a pretty smart smoke detector, that it knows you and your roommate that well

~Rob
Old 10-30-2005, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder.... I have some new detectors that are still sitting in the box that I was going to install.... I should do that this week...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Chaikwa,

Thanks for the advice, the trolling motor in my boat is getting a little weak, will you send me one of those instead of the battery for my smoke detector, I just changed it

Thanks in advance for the new Marine grade deep cycle battery (might have to move you up to Maintenance man and pick a new Janitor)
No problem Top. I just sent you a new one and it'll be waiting for you on your fax in the AM when you get into the office. Right beside the donuts. And I KNOW you have no trouble finding those!

chaikwa.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
No problem Top. I just sent you a new one and it'll be waiting for you on your fax in the AM when you get into the office. Right beside the donuts. And I KNOW you have no trouble finding those!

chaikwa.
Well thats just great....Donuts with a 70lb battery sitting right on top of them....

Next time send the Battery FIRST!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Well thats just great....Donuts with a 70lb battery sitting right on top of them.... Next time send the Battery FIRST!
I guess that means no promotion to the maintenance dept then?

chaikwa.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 PM

Clock set back. Done $0
Smoke alarm check. Done $0
Carbon monoxide detector check. Done $0
Propane leak detector check. Done $0

Fellow DTR's watchin' out for us. Priceless!!

Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flashdancr
Thanks
DITTO!!!!! thanks guys...(insert applauding smiley here)
Old 11-01-2005, 01:43 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by Flashdancr
Thanks
DITTO!!!!! thanks guys...(insert applauding smiley here)

Originally Posted by chaikwa
So, did it work here? Out of the thousands of members here at DTR, we only have 10 responses to this thread! I just hope that a lot more than that looked at it and were reminded to check those smoke detectors! If it makes a difference in just one persons life, I'll be happy!

I prefer mine hard-wired...too lazy to remember batteries...
First thing I got fo rmy oldest daughter and her beau when they bought their house was smoke detectors......then when the lazy bum hadnt installed them after a week, I went over and did it....

I've seen one crispy-critter, that was one too many..
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Chrisreyn]DITTO!!!!! thanks guys...(insert applauding smiley here)

then when the lazy bum hadnt installed them after a week, I went over and did it....

Ok tell us how you REALLY feel

Good reminder - ours upstairs has the batteries removed due to cooking smoke and I need to reseat them. In all fairness to the wife (she's a great cook!) the ventillation in the kitchen stinks and I placed the fire detector in the hallway by the bedrooms (just outside the kitchen). If anything, it gets tested at least twice a month.

Last edited by zookeeper; 11-01-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misleading -
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay...I'm guilty. I know for a fact that at least ONE of the smoke detectors in our house does not have a battery.

To my credit though (or really the credit of my home builder), all of our smoke detectors are hard wired so the battery is really just a backup. They are also all wired together so that if one goes off they all go off.

I really do need to get some batteries and replace them all though...even if they are hard wired.

By the way, we don't have a smoke in every room of the house, but we do have one in every bedroom, two in the living room (that also cover the kitchen) and one in each of our hallways going to the bedrooms. I'd really like to wire one into the attic and the garage too. I think those are the most likely places for a fire to start.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoss
...I'd really like to wire one into the attic and the garage too. I think those are the most likely places for a fire to start...
Hoss, there are new generation smoke detectors out that "interconnect" wirelessly, like you mentioned, when one goes off they all do. It makles it so easy now to cover any area of a house.

Hope this helps,

Peter
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM

The firefighters here could probably give more detail, but I had an old house re-wired and as part of the rewiring AC/DC smoke detectors were installed. They were wired in a way that is one went off they all went off at the same time. I thought this was a great feature, especially for larger homes..
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by widelod
The firefighters here could probably give more detail, but I had an old house re-wired and as part of the rewiring AC/DC smoke detectors were installed. They were wired in a way that is one went off they all went off at the same time. I thought this was a great feature, especially for larger homes..
I'm not a firefighter, but my house is fairly new and I noticed that it has an extra Red wire on the dectors that is hooked up tandem to all of them. Kinda cool, that way you not upstairs at night while the first floor is blazing.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hoss
I'd really like to wire one into the attic and the garage too. I think those are the most likely places for a fire to start.
I believe you'd want heat detectors in those locations Hoss. Car exhaust in the garage will set off a smoke, and the temperature extremes of the attic are likely to make a smoke detector inoperable.

And get that battery put back in!

chaikwa.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:41 AM

chaikwa,

Thank you very much for the reminder about the smoke detectors. I checked the three in my house after reading this thread October 31 at 2330 after returning from out-of-town for the past month. I took possession of this house near the end of January. Other than the house inspector checking things over, I didn't pay much attention to them.

Here's the kicker - while I was away at work (9 days off since the beginning of July), at some point, my upstairs hallway smoke detector battery had died. I would have changed it for sure if I would have been here to hear the "dummy beep". A friend checks my place once or twice a week, but the beep must have began and quit between visits.

Thank you again. I'm going to be far more conscientious (sp?) about checking them everytime I return home for days off from now on! Even if I have to leave myself a well placed note to remind me, it will be done.

Quick Reply: Safety Check