Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip

The decision has been made: We are driving cross country from NJ to Tacoma, WA for our son's homecoming from Iraq.
Was not sure wether to fly or drive, but because the exact arrival date is not an absolute and flying arangements are not that flexible, that leaves driving. I can prety much leave on a few hours notice. Then I figued that I'll have to rent some form of truck anyway because he has to move into a new home, plus rent a car while I'm there, better to use my own.
The exact plans I am going to work out over the next few feeks, I have a month before departure. I think on the way there, we will make a detour and see Mount Rushmore.
Any advice on this side trip? How is the weather in SD inearly Nov?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Give him a great big WELCOME HOME from my family. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:51 PM

Re: Road trip

Originally posted by MCMLV
The decision has been made: We are driving cross country from NJ to Tacoma, WA for our son's homecoming from Iraq.
Was not sure wether to fly or drive, but because the exact arrival date is not an absolute and flying arangements are not that flexible, that leaves driving. I can prety much leave on a few hours notice. Then I figued that I'll have to rent some form of truck anyway because he has to move into a new home, plus rent a car while I'm there, better to use my own.
The exact plans I am going to work out over the next few feeks, I have a month before departure. I think on the way there, we will make a detour and see Mount Rushmore.
Any advice on this side trip? How is the weather in SD inearly Nov?
MCMLV... I used to work in Fort Lee at 2115 Linwood Ave overlooking the GWB. Friend lived on Jones road overlooking 80 and 4 too... I miss good old NJ.

How are you going to go? You could take I80 to the I90 junction around Chicago and take 90 all the way over until I94 in Montana?? I am going off the top of my head here.

I drove back and forth from NJ to the Montana / Wyoming / California more than 10 times last year. It's quite an adventure. Do you have 4X4? If so you should be fine. Don't hesitate to use 4X4 even going 45 or 50 mph. SD may very well have tons of snow in early November. Or, it could have none.

Print out a list of the Flying J truck stops and they will have the cheapest fuel at any given location. Enjoy the trip!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Banned

Taking the Southern side going hence the detour to Mount Rushmore, and North side coming with a stop in Mineapolis.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:00 PM

So is it a 4x4 or no
Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Oh yea, it is 4x4, sorry.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:37 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tell him the VFW is Proud of his service.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Banned

Oh, YES, I will definitely tell him about all the good wishes and support he got from all the good people on this site. And untill he can say so, I thank each and every one for it.

At T minus 28 days and counting, all systems are GO.

Peter
Old 10-01-2004, 01:50 AM

Tell him welcome home from my family as well! If there is any way see the Crazy Horse monument it is unbelievable! You'll need about 3 hours but it is well worth it!
Have a safe trip!

Barry