Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Removing Fence Posts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Fence Posts

OK heres the deal, I was installing a fence on my property and my neighbor had enough pull with the county that I have to take some of it down(easement)

The fence was no problem but I have (12) 4x4 pressure treated posts in concrete 2' deep. I would like to keep the posts in good shape to reuse on another project if possible.

And before you tell me to pull them with my truck, remember its only a one wheel wonder and spins

I have tried digging but the ground is very hard, I had to rend a skid steer w/ auger to make the holes. Any help would be great,

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92DIESEL
OK heres the deal, I was installing a fence on my property and my neighbor had enough pull with the county that I have to take some of it down(easement)

The fence was no problem but I have (12) 4x4 pressure treated posts in concrete 2' deep. I would like to keep the posts in good shape to reuse on another project if possible.

And before you tell me to pull them with my truck, remember its only a one wheel wonder and spins

I have tried digging but the ground is very hard, I had to rend a skid steer w/ auger to make the holes. Any help would be great,

Thanks,
Michael
Well I was going to suggest pulling them with your truck, so I have nothing to say.

What about a pressure washer with a 0 degree tip? Could cut the dirt right out around it and the water would help soften it up. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 AM

The way I removed my post was to take a wheel/tire combo, and lower the air pressure down. Then took a chain wrap around the bottom of the post, up over the tire (tire should be bumping the post), then to the truck. They should then just pop right out, the only problem I had was keeping the tire upright.

BTW the truck only has a lsd in the back in, had no problem with slipping/spinning.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:05 AM

You could maybe try a big ratchet jack and a chain. Just wrap the chain around the post, hook the jack in it and start pumping the jack up. I cant think of the right name of one of those jacks but they look like a big car jack. Anyway good luck with it....
Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by funcruise
You could maybe try a big ratchet jack and a chain. Just wrap the chain around the post, hook the jack in it and start pumping the jack up. I cant think of the right name of one of those jacks but they look like a big car jack. Anyway good luck with it....
hi-lift/tractor jack? how about re-renting the skid steer w/ a bucket. pull em out w/ that and a chain. pulls 'em straight up
Old 06-09-2006, 09:35 AM

A hi-lift jack works great. I had the problem of trying to remove a retaining wall made out of telephone poles and railroad ties. After digging for about an hour trying to get a pole out I decided to use a hi-lift jack and chain. Works like a charm. took less than 10 minutes to remove each pole. Had to re-bite the chain lower on the pole a time or two.. Should pull your posts easily. May scar them a little bit with the chain but they will still be usable.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Banned

Sounds to me like a good excuse to by a winch!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derek840378
hi-lift/tractor jack? how about re-renting the skid steer w/ a bucket. pull em out w/ that and a chain. pulls 'em straight up
Yep, I can't count how many fence posts I've pulled simply by chaining them to the bucket and going straight up. Then again, none of them were set in concrete!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Well I guess my suggestion of TNT would be outta the questions since you are wanting to re-use them!?!?!?!?!

~Nick
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Well I guess my suggestion of TNT would be outta the questions since you are wanting to re-use them!?!?!?!?!

But the neighbor is the reason he has to move it the first place.... So all things considered TNT is still a valid option...
Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tractor with front end loader. 15 minute job. Wrap a cargo or junk blanket down bottom, choke a chain around it then lift. Pulling them straight up is the only decent way to get them out without trahsing them.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bsmurf12
But the neighbor is the reason he has to move it the first place.... So all things considered TNT is still a valid option...

GOOD POINT!!! I VOTE TNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Nick
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a big oak 4 by 6 cut up at the mill just a few inches longer than the post I was pulling. Wrapped a chain around the bottom of the post, up over the top of the 4 by 6 that was leaning on the post, and hooked the other end to the ball hitch. No jerking, rear end splitting rammin starts or nothing. Pulled about 36 posts like that and gave them to a friend who installed the fence and posts on his property. Leverage works every time.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM

When you consider all the hassle & expense of pulling the posts and then you've gotta break the old concrete loose before you can re-use them .... why not cut them off flush at the ground with a chainsaw and buy new posts? Some things are not worth saving. Besides, you'll end up with some really nice short 4X4's for another job.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I wish I could use the TNT on the nieghbor not my fence posts

I think I will try the Hi lift jack first. If not I'll just cut them

Thanks again, and if you have any more ideas let me know.

Michael

Quick Reply: Removing Fence Posts