Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Removing Cat Odor in the Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use odoban for the dog and the car. Seems to work pretty well. It kind of stinks but it doesn't last long, and seems to take away the odor fairly quickly.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by admin
I use odoban for the dog and the car. Seems to work pretty well. It kind of stinks but it doesn't last long, and seems to take away the odor fairly quickly.

Where do you get that stuff, I've never heard of it?

~Nick
Old 09-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sams Club...

Here is a link to their official site.

http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/Products.html
Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
...so I ran down there to go kick him ...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

Sweet......thanks!! I might have to get some of that just in case the dog gets outta hand!!

~Nick
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoss

I even put on my boots for that one......I was MAD!! Nothin' like hauling but down stairs in my underwear and my boots to kick the kitty!!

~Nick
Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 PM

I had two cats - operative word is two... They were brothers, and one of them would pee on the floor if he got the least bit ticked off. Regrettably I had to put that one down.

I removed all of the old carpet (just so happened we needed to replace the carpet anyway), and baseboards in the affected areas and soaked the walls and subfloor with bleach. I let that dry for a couple of days and then painted the area with Kilz sealer (I think three coats of it) and then painted over that with one coat of oil based paint and one coat of bathroom / kitchen paint (the kind of stuff used in high humidity areas). What a pain in the keister. BUT it did remove the smell, and we then recarpeted and we don't have any trace of the smell now. And yes - I've asked friends that come over and they can't smell it either.

On a side note - the other cat (the brother of the one I had to put down) is one of the greatest cats I've ever had - and my family has had cats/dogs/hamsters/guinea pigs/tortises/rabbitts/birds/fish for as long as I can remember. He ALWAYS uses his box, comes when you call him, puts his toys away (yep), and he's a better security alarm than the dog is most of the time - he'll let you know when someone or something is outside faster than the dog will.

He and the dog live in the basement when we're not around (it's a walkout - so it's not a dungeon), and it's interesting that when I clean up animal hair, there is significantly more dog hair than cat hair, and the dog is a Weimaraner, which is a very short-haired dog.

Of all of the cats that my family has owned, this cat was the first one that did this peeing outside of the catbox stunt. It has really soured my disposition on getting another cat. I'll keep the one we have right now until his time on this earth is up, but I don't think I'll ever have another cat. It was too much stress and frustration dealing with the behavior and of course the results of that behavior.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Diesel fuel and a match
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your input...Killing the cat is not an option...neatest cat I've ever known (until she did this).

She usually uses her litter box and is very clean, which is why we can't understand what made her do this. We keep the litter box cleaned daily also.

The only thing we can think of is that the other day she was sitting in the open window and a couple of neighborhood cats came by and were fighting with each other right in front of her. You could tell this really upset her. It was after this incident that she did this on the carpet right near that window.

The only other thing we can think of is that she got lonely when we left her for two days and this triggered it. She is very interactive with us and follows us around like we're her parents.

We will try some of the solutions that you guys mentioned. Wish us luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 PM

You just need to demonstrate to the cat that peeing is bad. Many creative ways to do this, steel toe boots and/or happyGA's method may work, you'll have to experiment. I used to have awful problems with strays, I'd leave my work boots on the porch and they'd get peed on, or they'd get in the back of my truck and pee. Talk about infuriating. I started a stray cat jihad, now I'm happily pee-free.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Timberman
You just need to demonstrate to the cat that peeing is bad. Many creative ways to do this, steel toe boots and/or happyGA's method may work, you'll have to experiment. I used to have awful problems with strays, I'd leave my work boots on the porch and they'd get peed on, or they'd get in the back of my truck and pee. Talk about infuriating. I started a stray cat jihad, now I'm happily pee-free.
I had a stray problem until a skunk showed up. now there are a few strays and a skunk.

My advice. shot the cat before you try to kick it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by DieselTrader
Thanks for your input...Killing the cat is not an option...neatest cat I've ever known (until she did this).(
Yeah - been there done that. The cat I had to put down was a great cat as well... Until he started doing this. We put up with it for over a year before I took him on his last truck ride to the vet. It tore me up to do it, but there was literally no other option. I completely understand putting a pet down when they're sick/old/dying, but this cat was none of those things, which really made it a lot harder.

I wish you luck, and I hope this was an aberration, and it doesn't continue or get worse.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM

I had a rental with carpet cleaned by a professional cleaning service. It didn't work very well. He gave me another product to spray and close up the room for a day. Still didn't work. I had to remove the carpet.

For less stained carpet you can use this formula.

One box baking soda
One pint hydrogen peroxide
One tablespoon dawn dishwashing soap

I use this formula and mix with about a half gallon of water. But I think the original formula was JUST those three items mixed and stirred and sprayed.

You can get this on the internet by searching for "skunk spray", or something similar.

This is the BEST formula for ridding your dog of skunk smells. You spray this on your dog and rinse in 5 minutes and the oder is gone!!!! Oh, you can then drink the tomato juice so many people thing is the only way to get rid of the skunk smell.

You can mix in any amount, but try to keep the proportion near correct. Put in a spritz sprayer and spray the carpet. Only mix up what you will use at that treatment, because it is not stable for very long.

This was developed by a vet. several years ago and when he discovered he couldn't market it because it had no shelf life he made the formula widely known.

Try it in an inconspicuous location first.

If you do have to remove the carpet to replace you can try this formula on the pad and may save that cost.

You can get a black light and shine in the room and see every spot that was urinated on! Then you know exactly where the problem is originating from.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

We had this guy leave out with a trailer load of cattle, a few years ago, bound for Pratt, Kansas.

He was always real clean, neat, and particular with his truck.

He was also a professional cat-kicker.

Before leaving on this trip, he had left the truck sitting for a few days, with all doors open, to air it out.

After he got the cattle un-loaded, he crawled into the sleeper to get some sleep.

He got scratched, clawed, and bit, before he had a clue what was happening.

Un-beknownst to him, an old nasty sow cat had moved a mess of baby cats into his sleeper and took up housekeeping.

He had un-knowingly hauled them all the way to Pratt.

They didn't get hauled back.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by widelod
Diesel fuel and a match
That will work too!

Quick Reply: Removing Cat Odor in the Carpet?