Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Remote Start (non-dodge)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Start (non-dodge)

Hey Guys:

As you know Christmas is right around the corner. I was thinking this Christmas I'd like to get my girlfriend remote start for her car. Here is New Orleans, we het a pretty hot summer, and in the winter time we get what we think is pretty cold. Therefore, it would be nice if she could warm up, cool off the car while getting ready for school. She has a 2000 Mercury Cougar with automatic transmission. I know this is a dodge-diesel site, but I know there are many knowlegable people here and there are probably some universal tips anyway.

First off, one thing that I am concerned about is the transponder in the key. How do you get the car to start if the key is not involved? Is there some sort of fooler? If there is, does this compromise the security of the car?

I would really like to save some money and install it myself. I know there are some systems that do not allow you to buy them uninstalled (I know Viper by DEI is one of them). I'm not affraid of wiring, so that is not an issue. Are there good systems that are easy to install and ones that let you keep the waranty even if installed yourself?

What brands and what features do you recommend? One feature I saw that was cool was rear window defroster activation.

What happens to the factory security/keyless entry system?

Another issue is cost. I really don't want to spend a whole lot, I'm not looking for the best thing made, I just want someting to be able to lock/unlock, open trunk, start car & activate the rear defroster.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have.

Josh
Old 11-05-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Remote Start (non-dodge)

While it can be done as a DYI, it's a pain in the backside. The difference of an installed unit versus a DYI unit is about 50 bucks. You will spend more than that in time alone to install it. When something goes wrong, where is your warranty for a DYI install?

About $120 installed for the DEI is well worth it. Certian car security systems require certian relays, etc. And if you girlfriend comes out to a cooked dashboard, that would be bad. No warranty to fall back on. The shops that do these on a regular basis can have it done in about 3-4 hrs.

To me, it's like cleaning out your septic tank, you can do it yourself, but do you really want to??? Kevin
Old 11-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=I PASS GAS link=board=10;threadid=22051;start=0#msg206252 date=1068085980]Another issue is cost. I really don't want to spend a whole lot...[/quote]

Just a little tip....don't mention what you just told us to your girlfriend.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:59 PM

[quote author=I PASS GAS link=board=10;threadid=22051;start=0#msg206252 date=1068085980]
Hey Guys:

As you know Christmas is right around the corner. I was thinking this Christmas I'd like to get my girlfriend remote start for her car. Here is New Orleans, we het a pretty hot summer, and in the winter time we get what we think is pretty cold. Therefore, it would be nice if she could warm up, cool off the car while getting ready for school. She has a 2000 Mercury Cougar with automatic transmission. I know this is a dodge-diesel site, but I know there are many knowlegable people here and there are probably some universal tips anyway.

First off, one thing that I am concerned about is the transponder in the key. How do you get the car to start if the key is not involved? Is there some sort of fooler? If there is, does this compromise the security of the car?

I would really like to save some money and install it myself. I know there are some systems that do not allow you to buy them uninstalled (I know Viper by DEI is one of them). I'm not affraid of wiring, so that is not an issue. Are there good systems that are easy to install and ones that let you keep the waranty even if installed yourself?

What brands and what features do you recommend? One feature I saw that was cool was rear window defroster activation.

What happens to the factory security/keyless entry system?

Another issue is cost. I really don't want to spend a whole lot, I'm not looking for the best thing made, I just want someting to be able to lock/unlock, open trunk, start car & activate the rear defroster.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have.

Josh

[/quote]

Josh,

From experience, I can offer you some advice. A while back I used to install alarms/remote start systems. DEI makes an excellent product. If you want a nice remote start alarm system, I would check out the Avital 3300 or 4300 (made by DEI - www.avital.com). It has a defroster, turbo timer, etc. You can get them online for under $150. If you have never installed one before, you may run into some issues. Depending how good you are with electronics, you could probably complete the installation if you take your time and read over everything thoroughly. A good website with wiring information is www.the12volt.com

As for the factory keyless entry, you will not need the factory remotes anymore. The aftermarket system will tap into the existing wiring in the vehicle. To bypass the PATS transponder key, you will need a module (DEI 555F or 555U) will work fine. You will need both ORIGINAL keys for the vehicle to program the module. I would recommend the 555F module over the 555U. Since it is universal, the 555U requires you to keep a spare key in it. It is a plastic box that stores the key and reads the transponder. The 555F on the other hand is programmable. I hope this helps out.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:53 AM

If her vehicle has multiplex wiring, things can get tricky.
(Many signals controlling different things, but using only one wire)

~Rob
Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 AM

have somebody else do it. I installed two remote starters and won't be doing another. My hands are too big to fit under the dash and I can't bend that way anymore, either. to me, it would be worth the $50 install charge!
-Jason
Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed one in my wife's car last Christmas. It's not that hard if you have a wiring diagram. I'd probably pay someone to do it next time though. Working under the dash sucks.