Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Recourse for an Ebay non-paying bidder

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recourse for an Ebay non-paying bidder

Long story short, I sold a PS3 on Ebay a couple weeks ago for $1325, and the bidder never paid. Since a bid is a legally binding contract, do I have any recourse other than Ebay's pathetic Unpaid Item Dispute? The PS3's have dropped to around $800 now, so I'm losing ~$500 if I relist it because of this person. I do have their address, name, and phone number, but I'm not about to post it on a forum.

Anyone else had this happen, and if so, what did you do?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have the address, make a road trip. Knock on the door with a "payment due" phrase with local police with you. Its the principle of it.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

The only thing you can do is click on the unpaid link, but that isn't going to do anything but have Ebay send them a E-mail. The only other thing you can do which won't get your money but it might make you feel a little better is to SLAM THEM WITH NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. That will hurt them some but it won't get your other $500.00

CRIS
Old 12-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Thats the only option. You were trying to make 200% profit. waaahhhh
Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Ahh, great.

There went a 4" exhaust and a tach...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tbone
Thats the only option. You were trying to make 200% profit. waaahhhh
You're right, I was. But it that really important? They bid $1325, they should pay it.

I know I'm probably never going to see the money, but watching $500 vanish because someone won't accept the responsibility of bidding on Ebay is still frustrating, no matter what you're selling.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Next time you list on ebay have a buy it now price and make it so when they click it they pay, if they don't it doesn't show "sold' and it remains for others to bid.

Remember the expression, "You can't get blood out of a turnip"? This is an example of it in application! You ain't goina get yur money, even if you show up with a possie. Go to plan B.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

Thems the chances when you try to make a big profit.
I hope more PS3 sellers get the same.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
DTR Mom

Long time Ebay seller here; yeah Ebay will file a claim, if they don't respond you can get your money from their account via Ebay's doings.
PROBLEM 1: If they are a fly by nighter, there is no account anymore.
I would go through the process and file a claim, screw feedback.

Should they be in another state, call the local police station and speak with a duty officer or investigator. explain the situation and ask them if they will be open for any communication with this individual. You will continue to let Ebay do its claim process. Email the scumbag non payer with the name and phone contact info of the local police and let them know you will file charges. Send a certified , return receipt letter to their address with the same information.
Now you have set up the basics for Internet criminal complaint and if they fail to reply within thirty days, you can process your claim amount like a small claims Court case- limit to 3,000.00.

Hope that helps you, I have over 700 positive feedback and zero stiffs because of communication alone. Oh, I am also a New York judge.....
I even got back a winch they guy claimed to have never received in Alberta canada through communication (some looked threatening cause I was ready to drive their and beat the snot) hope that helps you a little bit...
heidi
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
Long time Ebay seller here; yeah Ebay will file a claim, if they don't respond you can get your money from their account via Ebay's doings.
PROBLEM 1: If they are a fly by nighter, there is no account anymore.
I would go through the process and file a claim, screw feedback.

Should they be in another state, call the local police station and speak with a duty officer or investigator. explain the situation and ask them if they will be open for any communication with this individual. You will continue to let Ebay do its claim process. Email the scumbag non payer with the name and phone contact info of the local police and let them know you will file charges. Send a certified , return receipt letter to their address with the same information.
Now you have set up the basics for Internet criminal complaint and if they fail to reply within thirty days, you can process your claim amount like a small claims Court case- limit to 3,000.00.

Hope that helps you, I have over 700 positive feedback and zero stiffs because of communication alone. Oh, I am also a New York judge.....
I even got back a winch they guy claimed to have never received in Alberta canada through communication (some looked threatening cause I was ready to drive their and beat the snot) hope that helps you a little bit...
heidi
Im also a long time ebayer and you are full of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You cant make anyone buy your junk even if they bid on it.
Hes still got his PS3
Threatning people is illegal and the police might open a file on that , but I hardly think they could care less if someone didnt send you money for a ebay item.
So lets not waste the polices time on trivial stuff such as a bad ebay deal!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 AM

suck it up and move on
Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 AM
rdc
Banned

Originally Posted by longhorn
Thems the chances when you try to make a big profit.
I hope more PS3 sellers get the same.

So i guess if you scored a PS3 somehow and you wanted to sell it you would only ask for the $600 you paid for it right??? even though people are willing to pay $1300+. No that would just be plain dumb....
Old 12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rdc
So i guess if you scored a PS3 somehow and you wanted to sell it you would only ask for the $600 you paid for it right??? even though people are willing to pay $1300+. No that would just be plain dumb....
I didnt say that and i didnt score one so its a moot point!
Nothing wrong with making a profit but when its a deal like those Ps3 were I figure ya take your chances.
If it works fine and if it doesnt ..............to bad.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:43 AM

When dealing with "fad" or "trend" items like PS3's or TMX Elmo's, etc. What do you expect? Do you expect that type of buyer to be reliable?
Someone willing to pay $1300 for a PS3 doesnt strike me as too intelligent....Its probably someone who is going to put it on their credit card anyways. They probably found a better deal and wont pay you.

As far as getting "your money" thats not going to happen.
Ebay's non paying bidder stuff is just to get your listing fee back.

The police will laugh, they are not a collection service. However if you are taking money and not sending items that is a different story...that is theft, fraud, etc.

You would be wasting your time and more money to try to sue or take it to court.

Selling on ebay is a risk just as buying on ebay is.
For the most part..Most are good buyers and sellers with a couple bozo's that mess it up for the rest of us.

By the way I have 1500+ positive and 3 negatives on ebay.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just an observation.
Why do folks not bat an eyelash when someone tries to sell a $300 toy for $1200 because it's in high demand/short supply, but want to crucify someone when the price of fuel goes up 20 cents a gallon?

Quick Reply: Recourse for an Ebay non-paying bidder