Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Detector

Hi, I am going on a trip from CT to Kansas City MO, and I have a radar detector. Is it legal for me to have I have a 2500 Cummins and a 30' Camper. I read if the vehicle is over 10,000lbs you cant have one is this true? TIA,

Paul
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by CTD01
Hi, I am going on a trip from CT to Kansas City MO, and I have a radar detector. Is it legal for me to have I have a 2500 Cummins and a 30' Camper. I read if the vehicle is over 10,000lbs you cant have one is this true? TIA,

Paul

You may want to take a look at this page
Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM

I dont know about the legality of it, but it wouldnt do you much good in missouri. Cops around here only turn on their radar/laser when they want to clock you. I am friends with two cops around here and they say that there is no use to having them, and that if they see one that leads them to believe that you are a constant speeder. But it might be different elsewhere...

Jim
Old 06-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Thanx

Thanx guys for the replies. The reason I have a radar detector is in CT the cops hide out in rural areas and do radar where you least expect it.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeramrod
I dont know about the legality of it, but it wouldnt do you much good in missouri. Cops around here only turn on their radar/laser when they want to clock you. I am friends with two cops around here and they say that there is no use to having them, and that if they see one that leads them to believe that you are a constant speeder. But it might be different elsewhere...

Jim
They call that radar popping and the new Cobra's have a feature that detects radar popping along with a whole host of other features. TRUST ME - it works and has saved my butt a few times. It also has a cloaking feature that prevents the cops from determining whether you are using a radar detector or not. Sure they can still see it on your dash but cannot determine if it is on or in use. In VA it is illegal to use a radar detector but not illegal it have one. The VG2 Detect and Spectrum Detect alert work very well at cloaking the radar detector while in use where it shouldn't be. Let's just say i have tested the features and both work very well.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM

I have an older version of this. I can tell you it works. I have had a number of situations where I've had time to slow down. I've even had various police pull me over to see if I had something jamming them. As soon as I see a cop behind me, I take it down and put it in my console. It works very well as a detector, and gives you plenty of warning on the open road if a radar unit is rolling. I've been doing 90 and hit an instant on and it gave me time to slow down before he could lock. I've been hit with lazar too, and it appears to work long enough for you to slow down. I've never gotten a ticket running this. But, it is illegal in some states.http://sports-imports.stores.yahoo.net/raddetscram.html
Old 06-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radar detectors are always in a competition with radar guns...

There's a better detector, then there's a better gun, they find a way around it, on and on.

However, even while a radar detector won't save you from a ticket every time, it only has to save you from a few to pay for itself. If you find yourself driving out-of-state rent-a-cars at high speeds consistently, it is a good investment...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 PM

i try to make it a rule to have another vehicle about 150 yds in front of me as much as possible...then I can get the errant signals when they get spotted or popped as they round bend or top hills......even with radar detector not good to be first one out the gate all the time....
Old 06-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CTD01

Paul
God forbid you would want to maintain something close to the speed limit while pulling a 30 foot trailer with your 3/4 ton truck in traffic.

What am I missing here?

You aren't the only person on the road.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bulabula
God forbid you would want to maintain something close to the speed limit while pulling a 30 foot trailer with your 3/4 ton truck in traffic.

What am I missing here?

Betcha $1000 dollars at 100-1 odds that he doesn't hurt anybody.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 PM

You're probably right - and I won't take the bet. When I read the question I thought about the thread in the towing section titled something like "why nissan titans shouldn't tow a 30 foot travel trailer".
Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Banned

You're probably right -
Darn right I am, and don't you forget it.

I'll teach you to interject common sense, safety, issues of legality, maturity and empathy into topics of quasi-illegal veracity.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 PM

What am I missing here?

I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking that, keep the speeding to the sports cars not the 15000+lb rig rolling down the road that cant stop very well.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:44 AM

Cool

Radar detectors may save you from Radar or Lidar (laser radar), but they do nothing for visual estimation or pacing. All police interceptor crown vic's have certified calibrated speedometers. Both of these will stand up in court too, as I have been there done that. Besides who wants to get a speeding ticket in another state, then have to drive back and go to court to fight it? Only seen that happen on DUI's, never on a traffic citation. Besides speed is only one of many, many things that can get you stopped. If I really want to stop a vehicle, 90% of the time I can find probable cause to conduct a traffic stop. However, I do wish you the best of luck on your trip, and no traffic stops. Rick
Old 06-13-2006, 05:47 AM

What am I missing here?

Who said anything about traffic? I can't count the number of times I have been driving down the interstate, and not been within a half mile of another car. Don't be so quick to pass judgement on somebody. He didn't say I want to know if it is safe to blast through traffic at 90 mph towing a camper did he?

Quick Reply: Radar Detector