Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Putting an LS1 into a pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting an LS1 into a pickup

Alright guys. BUddy of mine wants to put an LS1 into his truck (he shows his truck). He found one with ~20,000 miles on it. It still runs. It comes with eninge and automatic transmission, computer, wiring harness, everything to hook it up (minus little details). I have a couple of questions though. I know this engine will fit in the truck with the right motor mounts. It is a 99 GMC 1500 regular cab shortbed 2wd automatic V6. Will the stock fuel pump on his truck support the fuel flow neds of a stock LS1 (for now that is)? We will eventually be ripping this thing out and building it high performance (heads, cam, pistons) for nitrous use. We'll be spraying a 75 shot on the stock engine for now. Will his stock fuel pump support that? How bout the transmission mounting points? The tranny is out of a Camaro and I'm guessing it is the 4L60-E. And if it is, shouldn't it have the same tranny mounting points? What about the intake setup? On a truck, it sucks air from the passenger side fenderwell. ON a LS1, it sucks it from straight ahead. I could probably fashion up some kind of intake to make that work, right? How about the gauge cluster in his truck? The engine is coming with all the electronic gadetry. I know the clusters LOOK different, but do they hook up differently? Are there any special adapters that my friend is gonna have to buy? Do yall know of any websites that might help us in our search for answers? I know this has been done before, I just don't know where to look. Also, if any of yall are in College Station, Texas sometime next March, drop me a line. The help would be much appreciated. Thanks for any info yall can give me.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Putting an LS1 into a pickup

I know this doesn't help you any, but I'll be in College Station this weekend. ;D
Old 10-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Banned

Thank god I won't be.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good...then I don't have to worry about bumping into you (although that's highly unlikely anyway).

Now...about that LS1....
Old 10-29-2003, 03:55 PM

I've seen a couple of LS1's in jeeps, so it should be pretty easy to put in a truck. I don't think a stock V6 fuel pump would be near enough for a LS1. Check out www.howell-efi.com they should have an adapter harness to connect the two together. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine and tranny should be a easy drop in. I think the electric fuel pump is the same for all the Vortec engines. The biggest issues is transferring the wiring/electronics. Also needs to be converted to dual electric cooling fans. You can fab a custom intake with a elbow (maybe one off of a 4.8 or 5.3L Vortec would work?).
This is from an ex Chevy truck owner.......

MikeyB
Old 11-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Banned

Why was it so expensive? His truck is big and it is coming with absolutely every little part we need (minus various nuts and bolts).