Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Please help me on this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me on this one

I need a bit of help. A friend of mine just doesn't get the reallity of driveing drunk. I know he will kill, or be killed in a auto wreck. I had seen a very graphic video on here about drunk driving(new years07?)--the soundtrack was "simple plan". I cant find it-I know lots here had seen the vid

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by biododge1
I need a bit of help. A friend of mine just doesn't get the reallity of driveing drunk. I know he will kill, or be killed in a auto wreck. I had seen a very graphic video on here about drunk driving(new years07?)--the soundtrack was "simple plan". I cant find it-I know lots here had seen the vid

Thanks
Have him get a plane ticket to Billings MT. I'll pick him up at the AP, with me? He pays for the rental, while I feed him booze and hit him in the head with a ballpeen hammer. Think he'll get that? Oh, I CAN have Billings Police behind us all the way... Send him to me PLEASE, I'll break him of that ****.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM

We had once got in fist fight(he was drunk), over it-the next morn he called and asked how he got all banged up. I obviosly didnt hit 'em hard enough though. I think he needd to see actual death(like in the vid).

Trust me, if I could scam him some way-I'd bring him to ya my self! I have tried working with the police too---but unless they catch him in the act, nothing yet has happened. I know that sounds lowsy-and to some, "what friend would call the cops", but I can't just stand here and wait for some innocent family to have there lives ruined
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM

That sounds like something a group like AA could work with him. If you could somehow get him there. take him to a towing company and run a few calls with em. I havent been on any accidents yet, but guys I work with tell the gruesome stories all thew time, they are pretty immune to it by now, but anyone else would be sick, i know I will be when the time comes.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Nothings gonna change til he hits bottom. Some are a lot lower than others. I know a guy who killed a young woman in a crash over twenty years ago and he still drives around with a six pack and his young son in the truck. Can't fix stupid.

Hope he doesn't kill somebody. You're a good friend but if he ain't listening to you its time to do whatever it takes. These situations always suck. Good luck.

Kurt
Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally I would have no problem calling the cops on my buddy if I were in the same situation.

You're a good person for trying to do the right thing. Some people need to have it hit them in the wallet (DWI charges) to get them to stop. Others will end up killing and spending time away to get it.
Hope you can get him to understand SOON!
Good Luck
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

I'm with Rock on this one. If you have done everything else, might be time to give his license plate number to the police and explain the situation.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by biododge1
I know that sounds lowsy-and to some, "what friend would call the cops", but I can't just stand here and wait for some innocent family to have there lives ruined

Sir, I would be honored to call you friend.

Unfortunately, as others have said, till he gets it ( hits rock bottom ) he doesn't think he has a problem.

I am going thru this right now with a friend. He was fortunate and got a DUI without an accident, seemed to wake him up.

But I even had the Cops to his house, he was suicidal/sloppy drunk. He talked his way out of that one, I later told him he wouldn't the next time, the knife that slit his wrists would be laying next to his passed out rear........
Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

Some wont learn till its to late. Usually the drunk that kills people is the one that lives. They need to make DWI an attempted murder charge before people get the idea.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Call him in before he kills or cripples someone. I'd do it if my friend was that ignorant. I'd hope someone would do it to me if I was that stupid, too.

On the other hand, some folks just see themselves as victims when they get a DUI, especially if it didn't involve an accident. I'm dealing with one of those people in my professional life right now. Mad at the world cuz she puffed exactly .08 and she wasn't doing anything that merited a stop, she just took 20 seconds to recognize a green light and start to drive. That's EXTRA-safe, right?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM

you can only take him to the pool, you cant make him jump in... if you try and force it then 9 times out of 10 you will get a negitive response. I would pick him up one day and take him to one of those Mothers Against Drunk Driving meetings for the people who have already got a DUI, thats when it hit me that my choices dont just effect me. But really like everyone else says it is his choice to decide when rock bottom is, all we can hope is that thats before someone gets killed!!! Make him read this thread of postings, maybe then he will see direction
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May not be the vid you wanted, but i seen this one and it definitely hit home for me. Hope this helps. My county (Fayette) is one of the most alcohol populous counties in Texas. Lots of drinking here.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM

First off, I greatly appreciate you caring about other people's lives, not to mention your friend. That's awesome, and the mark of a real friend is one who will tell you "no." When you're about to do something dumb.

That said - from AA itself (not a direct quote, but close) "No healing can occur in a person's life unless they admit they are poweless over alcohol and thier life has become unmanageable."

Until someone wants to change - they won't. People are stubborn, and like gravity, tend to be pulled downward unless effort is exerted not to go that way. I have many ex-alcoholic friends, and I can say the only ones who have suceeded in sobriety (or at least not driving drunk) are those who have reached the end of themselves and admitted thier problem.

Here's a very neat (Christian-based) article that puts the AA issue into a very clear perspective. It's long, but worth the read:

http://www.tentmaker.org/reviews/ragamuffin.htm
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 AM

I have two friends that choose to drink and drive a lot of the time. One of them has recently started to smarten up from a crash back in the summer. He (and another friend) were chilling/drinking at a friends before our soccer game. I guess he had quite a few (the driver) compared to the other 2 friends. He started doing a burnout on the road when they were leaving, started heading towards the road to turn onto (150ft away from the house). He lost control, went down into the ditch and hit a tree. LUCKILY he nor the passenger was hurt. Right after that happened he drove to my place and told me about it and asked to buy parts off my old 3500 to fix his smashed up bumper, grill, etc. Ever since this he has pretty much stopped all drinking and driving because he realized how easily he and/or the passenger could have been hurt. The other big help is his father told him to get off the property until he fixes the truck (farm truck) and smartens up.

My other friend still hasn't learned, we keep telling him he needs to quit it or else something will happen. He kinda has the I am invincible attitude towards him when you bring it up. Or he says: "well I don't get that drunk".

Ps that was a good video rip 112!