Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

canadian buyers of u.s. goods

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry canadian buyers of u.s. goods

i recentlt sent my quad race in for a x2 upgrade,with our dollar so high i couldnt pass by this opportunity,i sent my box via ups and it cost 20 bucks to send it to texas,it got there and was sent back out the same day,it also cost 20 bucks to send it back but to my surprise when it arrived i was told i owed 42 bucks for a brokerage fee,i asked why and they said since it had an insured value of 80 bucks they could charge me 42 bucks to get it across the border,i told them i already owned the boxand it was only sent for an upgrade but they didnt care,i dont understand why it cost 20 bucks to get there and 62 to get it back,im fighting it right now so i dont have the x2 yet but any canadian buyers beware of ups,maybe other couriers do it to im not sure,ive bought things fromthe us before and never paid a broker fee,somtimes a duty fee,im pretty ****** right now.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Wow, that sounds like a pile of crap! Did you insure it when you sent it out?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

some ups priority shipments include brokerage, its a bit more money, but you get your stuff very fast, plus you know the cost when you ship it. us post i dirt cheap for brokerage, but it takes longer
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 PM

I got burned like that on a beltronics repair. Sent the detector away no problem, but got a nice brokerage fee on the way back. That was UPS as well, when I used USPS in the past I didn't get the same run around.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM

UPS is always bad for that. When you send it down, make sure you put it was for repair or warranty or something of that nature, to say you've already paid for it. If you still have records that you sent it out and had it returned, then you should be able to get your money for brokerage back, or those charges deducted.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM

Plain and simple...UPS sucks. USPS is much better but most companies won't use it.

The brokerage fee is based on a dollar amount.

Here are the rates:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

I got a free update for my Garmin GPS. Garmin sent me an update DVD. When it arrived at my door I had to pay $30 for brokerage. Can't really fight it unfortunately as it is posted as a rate guide on their website. I just wish there were more options that companies used more often for us Canucks.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM

That does stink!

We don't use USPS because they won't let us track anything. If something gets lost it takes months to maybe get your money. They are terrible to deal with on a regular basis and very slow for the most part.

I am not a huge fan of UPS either or FedEx and DHL is worse. Not really sure what to do??

This time of year is really bad with Christmas coming up. We will get a large portion of packages we send out vandalized or stolen all together over the next few months and it will create tons of havoc for us!!

I wished there was a better alternative.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always ask as im in BC also, I will only use USPS its way cheaper, UPS sucks big time with there brokerage fees, I was checking on a camera part today $29 American money and the shipping and UPS fees were $98 dollars on top of that, I told them to forget it,
Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Americans in canada get screwed coming this way as well...mp-8 from texas by UPS...110 bucks to sign for it wife said heck no. Now I have no mp-8. GD
Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 AM

What do you expect....everyone is trying too make a quick buck, it isnt so bad on new items as the $1.04 dollar saves you enough money too make it worth it.

Personally when i was living in manitoba and was all of 30 minutes from the border, i would just have it mailed too a guy on the dakota side....then drive down and pick it up. Saved me tons of money and that when our money was still worthless.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RJOS
Americans in canada get screwed coming this way as well...mp-8 from texas by UPS...110 bucks to sign for it wife said heck no. Now I have no mp-8. GD
Whay would anyone leave the great state of texas too come up here??

Personally i plan on moving too texas in the next couple of years....thems ma people!!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM

US Navy buddy. Doing the hard jobs in Victoria BC. Another year and a half and I will go back..
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
That does stink!

We don't use USPS because they won't let us track anything. If something gets lost it takes months to maybe get your money. They are terrible to deal with on a regular basis and very slow for the most part.
Not sure which way you mean canada > us or US> canada , but as of a couple months ago, any package sent USPS Airmail Express CAN be tracked on the Canadian side as well as the American.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 PM

UPS blows, fed-ex or express post, both offer good quick service and are traceable.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by duallydave
i recentlt sent my quad race in for a x2 upgrade,with our dollar so high i couldnt pass by this opportunity,i sent my box via ups and it cost 20 bucks to send it to texas,it got there and was sent back out the same day,it also cost 20 bucks to send it back but to my surprise when it arrived i was told i owed 42 bucks for a brokerage fee,i asked why and they said since it had an insured value of 80 bucks they could charge me 42 bucks to get it across the border,i told them i already owned the boxand it was only sent for an upgrade but they didnt care,i dont understand why it cost 20 bucks to get there and 62 to get it back,im fighting it right now so i dont have the x2 yet but any canadian buyers beware of ups,maybe other couriers do it to im not sure,ive bought things fromthe us before and never paid a broker fee,somtimes a duty fee,im pretty ****** right now.

It doesn't matter if it is sent ups, USPS , fed ex purulator .. they all with charge a brokerage to get the package across the boarder .. been there done that many times .. it is the companies charge to get the packages through customs .. and it blows big time .. back in the early 2000's i got a set of gears shipped up .. after all the exchange was done the brokerages was almost as much as i paid for the gear set ..!!

it doesn't matter if your American , Canadian Chinese or from any country if your in Canada and you a parcel shipped through Canada customs you get srewed !!! has nothing to do with being Canadian .. has to do with being "in " Canada ...

i get all my stuff shipped to a package company in a little American boarder town 20 Min's from where i live .. so all i pay is the taxes coming back no b.s. brokerage fees ..

yeah it sucks !!!

Gary

Quick Reply: canadian buyers of u.s. goods