Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Over-Night at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over-Night at Walmart

Hey People, Got a question for ya's........

I'm planning a trip to Gulf Shores, AL. and am planning on taking two days to get there. I've had quite a few people tell me to just pull into a walmart parking lot and stay there over night. With all the security cameras and being open 24 hours, I should not have a problem. What are your thoughts? Would you do this? Is it safe? Would appreciate any and all of your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
Grampaw
Old 09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Over-Night at Walmart

I'd do it if I had an alert dog, locked doors and a handgun or shotgun with me....and I'd find an area in the lot that was very well lighted.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 AM

I have never had any problems. I usually park as far away from the doors as poosible, and next to a streetlight. You will usually find a few folks parked with you. I kinda like it, If you forget something at home, it's easy to run in and find what you need. Took a trip to south Texas last spring, and I forgot swim shorts..(not something you think about in Denver during winter) Found a decent pair at the super wallyworld near San Antonio. If you get one of the road altases at Wally world they list all the locations.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 AM

I heard on Paul Harvey that the Wal-Mart chains welcome RVer's to pull in and stay the night, depending on the side of town I would do it. Wouldn't hurt to have a lil Iron with you.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:33 AM

Here is a site you might want to checkout.

It is a listing of FREE Overnight stops.

FreeCampgrounds.com/noparking.html

Old 09-24-2003, 10:50 AM

I saw some RV'ers from Texas in our Walmart parking lot a couple days ago. I would call ahead to the store and make sure that you can stay there. I guess there are a couple of them that don't allow over night parking.

Tony
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Claymores, razor wire, trip wire tied to grenades, notification to Top, and six big gaurd dogs like the ones Dennis has at his house. Then I would still sleep with one eye open and the Desert Eagle ready to fire.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:38 PM

Hey...................

Thanks a bunch you guys. I will probably give it a try, so if you don't hear anything out of me after October,,,,,

well.......................

Thanks Again
Grampaw
Old 09-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Chapter President

I've done the Wallyworld trick too....mostly when the truck stops are full....I don't camp out there just pull in for my 8 hours sleep then leave

I have also used the Home Depot and Lowes parking lots without any problems....just be sure to park at the far end of their lots not close to the entrance to the store
Old 09-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Banned

[quote author=GONZO link=board=10;threadid=20054;start=0#msg188587 date=1064415676]
I heard on Paul Harvey that the Wal-Mart chains welcome RVer's to pull in and stay the night, depending on the side of town I would do it. Wouldn't hurt to have a lil Iron with you.
[/quote]

NEVER hurts to have iron with you....
Old 12-28-2003, 06:37 PM

wally world...

I just drove by our local Wally World and noticed that there were no, that's zero RV's on the lot. That's odd for this lot but I noticed and read a posted sign that said something related to the overnight stays limited to 3 nights. That's something new...Byron.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be against the grain of the other posters on this thread but... I am sure that you will be out of Ill in the first day and will stop probably in Tennessee. In any of those parking lots you will be safe. You can also pull into any larger truck stop, especially Flying J for the night. Its really not a problem. I do it all the time.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:26 AM

I've heard of this. Acutally it's a really good idea. Specially when you find Wallyworlds along the interstate your traveling...
Old 12-29-2003, 11:16 AM

I'd go for a truck stop over a closed store parking lot. I will be probably sleeping in one tonight myself! Heading down 95 to FL.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
VPI

Stayed in many never had a problem. Best on I ever stayed at was in Hood River Oregon. They turend the lights out for us.

Quick Reply: Over-Night at Walmart