Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Oilfielder's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats wrong with our safety???
Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Nothing, Festus is just trying to drum up some work like me!!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something that has oppertunities to get promoted, traveling (I LOVE driving )seeing different places, I love the mountains, off-roading, working generally. I like helping people out (like a assistant) vs being in charge of everything. I work best when have somebody to work beside me but get me mad, best to get outta my way cause I start working circles around people My friend, who I worked part-time with doing landscaping, would purposely try to get my mad just so I would work my hardest. Irked me at times but rarely worked. Pay me $30 a hour, I work for $30 a hour.

I would like something a little repetitive but where it isn't the same day in and day out. That is why the oil-fields sound better than what I have. Plus making $11 a hour is NOT going to support a family for very long. 1+1=3, right?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

Any work in Alberta for a small cat?
D4 6 way blade?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

I am a driller for Patterson Uti out in Wyoming we have been in the same 2 fields for the last 2 years and they plan on us being here for at least 30 more years. We are drilling for natural gas. There is probably 50 rigs between the to fields. (Mesa and Jonah fields) Up in Alaska on the north slope is the only place thats paying more than this area right now. Floor hands for all the companies bring home $2000 a pay check which we work 7 days on and 7 days off. There are alot of new rigs coming up like H&P you run everything in the doghouse. They have Iron derrickhands on ensign which you run the board from the dog house. The rig I am on is 515 it is a old triple compound kelly rig, 1,500,000# derrick. There is lots of work out here. You name them they are hiring. We are drilling multi well pads diretional about 16 wells per pad. You have common sense its pretty safe I have had one accident report in 2 years of drilling. Cut and slip drilling line and line hit motor hand in face and knocked out a tooth thats it. Enough rambling take care fellow oilfielders
Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are so many opportunities in the oil and gas industry to even start naming them would take hours. Another side of oil and gas that many people overlook is the maintainance and facility construction. Most people who are unfamiliar with the work don't realize the amount of work that happens once the drilling rig is gone. I am an industrial electrician and work along side an extensive crew of Instrument mechanics. We do large gas plant and proccesing construction. We build and maintain the larger facilities that actually clean the gas seperate the different properties and sell it to the refineries and consumers. I noticed you said you like doing things that are repetitive but not the same. That is what we do. We build and maintain process and controls but its always somewhere new, often way out in the middle of nowhere and there is lots of driving and playing in the mud and 4x4ing that you wouldn't believe you could make a truck go those places. Most trades that are employed in the oilfield require an apprenticeship program that is usually 4 or 5 years with some time at a university or similar school for 8 or 10 weeks then the rest of the year out in the filed. As for the money its pretty good. In a good year i can bring in more than enough to have a nice few holidays every summer, take time off whenever i want or need it and so on. I don't like to actually mention numbers but for example I have a brand new truck, boat, bike, sled, car, house. Its really good money for going to work and doing something fun everyday with a great crew of guys. Sorry for the long post but i hope its some insight to another side of the oil patch.

Last edited by Rollin'_Coal; 11-04-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Fixed tons of typo's was in a hurry
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM

I work for a Crane company and we move drill rigs and help with the building of the gas facilities.

Nick.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have often thought about doing some crane work now that i am ticketed and done a fair share of construction, I thnk it would be interesting. Other than driving them big 180 ton monsters down the highway getting passed by guys like me like your going backwards. haha, how fast do they actually go? What is involved for training and school and whatnot for larger cranes?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 AM

I work on offshore oil rigs and have for 16 years, the last 12 or so have been international. The service companies are OK, but they don't seem to have the time off that "Us" rig hands have. Most service hands I know, are usually "On call" due to the shortage of people. The company I work for is building 15 new rigs, so even if the offshore side of it goes down, those rigs will probably stay working, as they have to pay for themselves. Most are locked into 4-6 year contracts for $400,000 plus a day. I can think of at least 40 new builds, and probably the same number of retrofits of older rigs.
Not sure what wages are in the Gulf of Mexico now, but I was told by someone who just came out of the Gulf that Roughnecks are making close to $20 an hour. (Thats a long way from the $9.90/hr I made years ago!)

Virgil
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

Floorhands for patterson start at $20 hour plus $45 day perdiem, $22.50 day bottom hole and $22.50 safety pay plus peformance bonus for drilling the well in a certain amount of days. We get 40 hours reg and 47.5 hours overtime in 1 week of work. get 1 week off. Now drilling I make $13 more dollars an hour then I did a little over 3 years ago when I broke out. We got our last raise when I went drilling a year and a half ago.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:42 AM

What part of the field do you want to be in, I'm in sales and I make good money. If you want to be a roughneck there are many different rigs you could work for. Don't forget about all the service companies.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rollin'_Coal
There are so many opportunities in the oil and gas industry to even start naming them would take hours. Another side of oil and gas that many people overlook is the maintainance and facility construction. Most people who are unfamiliar with the work don't realize the amount of work that happens once the drilling rig is gone. I am an industrial electrician and work along side an extensive crew of Instrument mechanics. We do large gas plant and proccesing construction. We build and maintain the larger facilities that actually clean the gas seperate the different properties and sell it to the refineries and consumers. I noticed you said you like doing things that are repetitive but not the same. That is what we do. We build and maintain process and controls but its always somewhere new, often way out in the middle of nowhere and there is lots of driving and playing in the mud and 4x4ing that you wouldn't believe you could make a truck go those places. Most trades that are employed in the oilfield require an apprenticeship program that is usually 4 or 5 years with some time at a university or similar school for 8 or 10 weeks then the rest of the year out in the filed. As for the money its pretty good. In a good year i can bring in more than enough to have a nice few holidays every summer, take time off whenever i want or need it and so on. I don't like to actually mention numbers but for example I have a brand new truck, boat, bike, sled, car, house. Its really good money for going to work and doing something fun everyday with a great crew of guys. Sorry for the long post but i hope its some insight to another side of the oil patch.

Are you guys looking for anyone? ....Im an JM Instrument Mechanic & Technologist looking for new opportunities.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 AM

The Deepwater rigs in the Gulf of Mexico present a lot of opportunities as well. I am on the Transocean Millennium drillship right now. They have full time crane operators, electricians, welders, mechanics, electronics technicians, along with the drill crew. If you are looking for long term employment I would go the offshore/international route. The offshore rigs are safer than land rigs, the equipment is better, and the whole operation is run more professionally. Check out: Transocean, Noble Drilling, Ensco, Seadrill, and Diamond Offshore. Ed B
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Our service rig roughnecks make $24.50/h and our toolpush's make $50.00/h with $50.00 living allowance, $12.00/h travel time, safety awards program, RRSP matching, etc... We've noticed a big drop in oil companies working over wells now because of our stupid royality hike in Alberta. Would love to send a few rigs down south...
Old 11-04-2007, 12:17 PM

KMK and dodgediesel,
Seems wages and such are comparable with offshore Gulf of Mexico, what other benefits do ya'll have? Dodge, do ya'll have 401K up there? I'm just curious, or is it just a US thing? Medical? Dental? Vision? I have heard the Canadians have "Free" medical, but think ya'll pay for it with higher taxes, something like 40% or more? I think medical/dental in the Gulf is about $135 a month for a family.
I haven't worked in the US in years, and am still looking for all that "Tax Free, Overseas money"
Not trying to start a flame here, just trying to see what is out there. May want to make a move in the future.
Virgil