Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Now Big Brother Wants Seat Belts for Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
I would think a band aid would be a good enough seat belt for that one little mexican micro-mut of Dennis'.
Rubber band would be better. Be like a little bungee cord.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Yard rats and micro-muts? They bark at everything and nothing at all. They bark all the time. Did I mention they bark a lot? We have 4 of them and wouldn't trade them for the world!! Those little Mexi-dogs are a blast. Never had so much fun with a pet. Hard to describe if you've never had one. Or 4! Jim
Old 03-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Muted User

If you could see all the dogs that come in to the vet's office my wife works at that are injured or dying because some knucklehead left them in the back of a pickup, you would agree there should be a law requiring them to be restrained in the back of a truck. Its hard to believe some people are that dumb. Oh well, I guess people voted for Hillary and her devoted husband, Bill, too. I guess there are a lot of dumb people around!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My policy is "If you can't train-em, restrain-em"!!!
My lab almost askes me for permission to chace a cat or squirel.
She can't read the laws yet. Workin on it.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by cumminnotstrokn
I could see in bed tethers since we do see a lot of dogs laying on the freeway which probably jumped from the truck. My dog just curls up on the floor in the back and sleeps so no one would even know he's there unless they come near the truck, has been like that since he was a pup, never wants to drive.

I've never seen a dog jump out of a moving truck, but if the dog is that stupid to jump out...well then.. we don't have to worry about that gene pool making it into the next generation. If the owner is that stupid not to train the dog to stay on command... well then.. they should not have a dog.

I've been carrying my 110 pound Seppela in the back of my truck for 10 years. I 've had dogs for 40 years and I'm not going to stop now.

Why don't the "do gooders" just take care of themselves?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by peteygirl
If you could see all the dogs that come in to the vet's office my wife works at that are injured or dying because some knucklehead left them in the back of a pickup, you would agree there should be a law requiring them to be restrained in the back of a truck. Its hard to believe some people are that dumb. Oh well, I guess people voted for Hillary and her devoted husband, Bill, too. I guess there are a lot of dumb people around!
"There otta be a law." (See my pictures.) That is the liberal mentality that has gotten us into the situation we are in now, laws for everything. We must train our dogs better in Nebraska as we don't have a problem with them jumping from moving vehicles. I've had dogs for 40 year, and they have all ridden in the back of my truck, on trailers, tractors, and ATV's. I have never seen a dog jump out of a moving truck. I'm sure it has happened, but just as people are injured or killed everyday in accidents, but that doesn't mean we need a law. We have enough laws, thank you very little.

There should be a law against people wanting make "feel good laws" !
Old 03-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Banned

Wow from 8.26 to 9.27 you gained 10 years in your dog ownership. Pretty good!!!
Never thought we were talkin dog years...

Yep I've seen it. Lady doing 45 and the dog saw something, jumped out of the bed, flopping on the road with a busted back. Lady stopped, kids and all, and I had to hit it with a hammer to kill it in front of her to put it out of its misery. I'll take a tether, thanks.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:37 PM

REDICULUS
Old 03-26-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Alrighty then. Guess I'll have to develop a mini-harness for my per hampster Fluffy too.

Splattttt.....................
nah, just put him in your shirt pocket.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Glad I don't haul mules or horses, bet they would be a test to strap in!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Muted User

Originally posted by Geico266
I've never seen a dog jump out of a moving truck, but if the dog is that stupid to jump out...well then.. we don't have to worry about that gene pool making it into the next generation. If the owner is that stupid not to train the dog to stay on command... well then.. they should not have a dog.

I've been carrying my 110 pound Seppela in the back of my truck for 10 years. I 've had dogs for 30 years and I'm not going to stop now.

Why don't the "do gooders" just take care of them selves?
Edited by Admin
Old 03-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow I guess opinions vary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

However,,,,,,,, I've rode my big dogs in the back of the open truck and in the CJ-5 without a top or doors,,,,,,,,,,, but it was always at the slower speeds on the back country roads. I think you can train a dog NOT to jump from a moving vehicle, but that may not help them in a minor collision or if you have to make a defensive move quickly. Paws don't do much for grabbing onto something in order to keep from being thrown out. Years ago,,,,,, I did have a black Lab that jumped out the window of the car after being stopped by the local law officer and into his car when he opened his door to get out! ,,,,,,,,,,Yeah,,,,,,,,,,, THAT went over real well!

As far as taking the time and money involved in order to make it a law,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think there are other things more imortant. However, I do feel that if an animal is killed or an accident caused, the driver/pet owner should be held liable.

As far as our Yard-rat and Micro-Mutts,,,,,,,,, lets just say they are restrained,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb PLEASE,,,,,,,,, Don't make me ride with the kid too,,,,

Cockroach would rather not share the seat with our grandbaby girl.

OK,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOW,,,,, LETS TRY TO KEEP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS RESTRAINED! Please,,,,,,,,
Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I had a black lab leave my Jeep one time just as I rounded a curve and came with in sight of the river we were going to .

Luckily I was only going about 15mph on a dirt trail, and I had him tied in, but there was just enough slack that I heard him grunt when the rope stopped him about 3 inches from the ground

Seems real funny to me now, but I thought he hung himself when he did it. That durn fool just loved water so much, the site of it would turn his legs into springs

This same dog would sit in my open Jeep for an hour in a parking lot, and never budge if I gave him the stay command. He just turned into a puppy around water

I never saw him exit a vehicle like that again....thankfully
Old 03-26-2004, 11:11 PM

i don't know wether i should respond to this in a serious way or not . I do agree with alpine but the reason that so many people don't think for themselves is that there is so many politicians and do gooder liberals wantin to do their thinking for them.Every time somebody comes up with another idea to save us from ourselves we give up a little more of our freedom. How much freedom do you want to give up for the amount of security that all these good idea's provide. IMHO

Quick Reply: Now Big Brother Wants Seat Belts for Dogs