Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

No job after 34 years...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No job after 34 years...

Well after being bought by Rockwell Collins 9 years ago, RC will be closing the doors on 600+ employees in San Jose, CA to better align the corporation during these economic times. I have been with Kaiser Electronics and then Rockwell Collins for over 34 years. We designed and manufactured Head Up, Head Down and Helmet Mounted Display systems for Tactical Military Aircraft. So, with that being said, they will be offering some relocation packages to key individuals. I will have to wait and see how that comes out for me, sorry need to be selfish on this part....

The good news is that I will get my pension and have been "stretched" into the medical and life insurance plans for retiree's.

If anyone has any contacts for someone looking for a Mechanical Opto/Mechanical Design Engineer, please send me a personal message, if it doesn't fit for me, I will pass the information onto the other Mechanical Design Engineers that are also out of a job.

I was Lead Design for JHMCS...
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...KJz2tAPTwaCJDg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...KJz2tAPTwaCJDg

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

MikeyB
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Sorry to hear it.

I have no ties to these guys, just thinking with the current politics, wars and weapons buy-up, maybe they'd be interested in your skills?
http://trijicon.com/Trijicon.cfm?CFI...TOKEN=65446163
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Jim.

Since I'm in this field, I'll look around and see who deals with this on our end. I'm sure you would not want to relocate across the country, but I'll still ask if you want me to.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry Jim, your one of the good guys and you don't deserve something like this... Good luck, I am certain you will land on your feet with something soon
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Thank you for helping our boys keep the upper hand.

There is a plan, and I am sure you will be part of it. Keep your head up.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All I can offer is Prayers.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Jim,

Sorry to hear about that, its saddening that this is happening to so many. Good luck on finding a new job, I hope its a swift change over.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg

I have no ties to these guys, just thinking with the current politics, wars and weapons buy-up, maybe they'd be interested in your skills?
http://trijicon.com/Trijicon.cfm?CFI...TOKEN=65446163
Never thought of this field, but my skill set applies to this field! thanks for the input, I can also look into the other mfgs of scopes too...
Originally Posted by madhat

Since I'm in this field, I'll look around and see who deals with this on our end. I'm sure you would not want to relocate across the country, but I'll still ask if you want me to.
I may be willing to move to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They are now posting Sr. Mechanical Designer positions with the skill set they are losing in San Jose. With the way the Bay Area is going with Layoffs and California in general, it is probably time to get out of here. So, yes MadHat, I will take anything into consideration...

Thank you all for your sincere words and feelings! Well off to start my resume...take care guys!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

With Trijicon, aimpoint and eotech doing so good with the military/law enforcement/political scare market with their electronic optics, maybe you can convince Burris, Leupold, or some others that your the guy to help them get a better foot in that market?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Jim,
Try Raytheon: www.rayjobs.com
Most of our stuff in Cali. is around LA though.

~Rob
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I now how it feels I'm in the same boat 32 years laid off last November just working part time the wife found full time work so I thought I let her carry the ball !
Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM

I went through that in the 80's when aerospace went down the tube in California. I was with Lockheed at the time and we all hit the street. Seems like this time is worse for everybody though as it is hitting all industries. My wishes to you for a good job find, I hope they are still out there!!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Carl,
I remember what you're talking about. Had friends working in the aerospace industry. Their words were, "You're an optimist if you carry your lunch to work."

Some of those guys were the ones hired by Ford to do aerodynamic testing on their vehicles. They documented the idea of leaving your tailgate down DID NOT improve fuel mileage.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey, Jim.

I talked to one of our tech reps here, and he works for RC also... imagine that.

He said he is going to put out some feelers and try to get you some information.

Quick Reply: No job after 34 years...