Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Laptop Is In

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally prefer to just FDISK the hard draive and start over fresh! It's the best way. If you don't have an OS then get rid of it without an OS or see if a friend has a copy you can 'borrow'!!

I know it's done, I just couldn't find my $.02 to put it in in time! [blush]

John
Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 AM

i got a dell recently never had the first crash works perfect, replaced hardrive on HP that wife has, destroyed old hardrive as u can see dell aint got spell chker on this site or i aint brite nough to use it
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a Dell before this HP, and the power unit on the motherboard went out. The computer shop didn't even want it or parts.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
If anyone is looking to purchasing any HP laptop or desktop, DON"T DO IT. They rewrite their own software for the drivers that run the components they use. This software doesn't like anything that's not HP. For example, using my HP laptop with a Lexmark printer driver threw alot out of wack. Save yourself the grief.

Well, that certainly is a matter of opinion. I bought a Toshiba this fall and it had a dead pixleright out of the box. Long story short, I ended up opening 4 Toshibas (in a row), and they ALL had at least 1 dead pixle.

While I dont have a LOT of hours on this machine - I have not had ONE issue with my HP....all drivers work fine. I talked to a lot of people and did a fair bit of reseach on the net before switching - believe me, Toshiba has their fair share of issues.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Well, that certainly is a matter of opinion. I bought a Toshiba this fall and it had a dead pixleright out of the box. Long story short, I ended up opening 4 Toshibas (in a row), and they ALL had at least 1 dead pixle.

While I dont have a LOT of hours on this machine - I have not had ONE issue with my HP....all drivers work fine. I talked to a lot of people and did a fair bit of reseach on the net before switching - believe me, Toshiba has their fair share of issues.
Most of the major manufacturers skimp on so many aspects of their machines it's sad really! IF you want piece of mind then take a computer assembly course and do it yourself!

Honestly, unless you custom build a machine (a desktop rather than a laptop) your going to be much better off. At least you can change out the processor if you choose, motherboard or memory if it is a custom built machine. Personally, if I was to go back to the laptop realm I wouldn't buy a Dell, HP or a Toshiba. I would search the local computer shows and get an off brand and put more money into the internal components than into some crappy mass produced POS that is only going to last a year. Anyone who asks me about what to buy I always dis-suade them from any of the big name companies.

It's always better to build than to buy! (Just make sure if you not the one building it the person who is, is known, reputable and can support what they put together! You wouldn't want to end up with a hacked copy of XP PRO and think you paid for a retail version!)

John
Old 10-29-2006, 04:44 PM

Of course - everything is a matter of one's opinion. However, when I watched live at a former HP tech attempt to figure out the issue and couldn't correct it because he couldn't get the upgraded software, it was the nail in the coffin for sure for me and HP.

For now, I'm in possession of one that works - more than I can say about the former.

Time will tell........just like the new Cummins 6.7.......glad my order got in in time for the 5.9.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SOOTER
It's always better to build than to buy! (Just make sure if you not the one building it the person who is, is known, reputable and can support what they put together! You wouldn't want to end up with a hacked copy of XP PRO and think you paid for a retail version!)

John
Ive built and repaird many desktops....but dont want to tackle building a laptop. I will likely fix the laptop if it has problems.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
For now, I'm in possession of one that works - more than I can say about the former.

Time will tell........
I hope it serves you better than your HP...it SUCKS having computer problems. Especially when you are using it for work.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 PM

I hope it serves you better than your HP...it SUCKS having computer problems. Especially when you are using it for work.

That's the thing though. I use my laptop for work because it cuts down on the time factor. Instead of working 16 hours or more on big ERP jobs, I just work my twelve.

I don't need a puter for work, but I built some spreadsheets and it's just easier. Our paperwork (and theirs lots of it) is certainly not up to par with being a multimillion dollar company. In fact, it's still in the boon dock era. I got tired of it and figured a way to actually get done in the shift I'm paid for instead of nothing for the extra time after shift or at the hotel or camp..

I'm also down from three of those big honkin' breifcases to just one on the passenger seat - with a couple loose binders tucked away behind the back seat just in case. Got rid of four SOP manuals and miscelaneous forms that I have to carry because I scanned them all in. If I need them, I now just open the file and look for and/or print the information.