Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Nerve Damage or Carpal Tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nerve Damage or Carpal Tunnel?

Took a few weeks off from the gym because work was hectic. Went back last week and expected to be able to do about 80-90% of my previous maximums. Right arm is there, the left one is totally shot. I mean, I have less than 50% of the strength I had in it (usually do 85-90lb dumbells, have a hard time with 40lbs on the left arm). Something isn't right, it's not like it gives out over a few reps, it can't even get the dumbell in the air. My left chest has had an occasional "twitch" to it for the last few weeks and my arm (ulna) has been feeling weird, maybe its Carpal Tunnel syndrome. No pain, just no strength on the one side.
Anyone experience similar symptoms? Was thinking I would just "work it out", but I think I need to see the Doc about this one.

~Rob
Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Better have it checked out. Could be something serious. MS, Parkinsons, Mini stroke, Lou Gerigs, comes to mind, but I'm not a DR. A 50% loss is a serious warning sign. I'm only trying to scare you enough to get to a DR.
You can call Ask A Nurse also. They have a pretty good data bank of info on symptoms.

Keep us informed. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Left arm loss of strength means go see a doc
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266
Better have it checked out. Could be something serious. MS, Parkinsons, Mini stroke, comes to mind, but I'm not a DR. A 50% loss is a serious warning sign. I'm only trying to scare you enough to get to a DR.

You can call Ask A Nurse also. They have a pretty good data bank of info on symptoms.

Keep us informed. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Left arm loss of strength means go see a doc

And Quickly at that!

Rick
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start switching hands when lifting the Crown bottle.

Just kidding.........GO GET IT CHECKED.......SOON! It's may be nothing, but it's not worth ignoring.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 PM

hotdram, How old are you? Any family history? Tingling? What kind of work do you do?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 PM

As they all said before me, get 'er checked out. Carpal Tunnel and nerve damage usually have pain with them I believe. A loss of 50% strength should be worry enough. If your truck was down 50% power, it would have the hood up in minutes I'm sure. Gotta take care of yourself too! Good luck
Old 11-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
hotdram, How old are you? Any family history? Tingling? What kind of work do you do?
37 y/o electrical engineer (sit in front of a computer at work and at home alot), old man just had quintuple bypass surgery and is diabetic.

Ya'll have urged me to call the Doc on Friday

~Rob
Old 11-23-2006, 01:07 AM

I had a similar problem but I lost my arm and both hands. I was so bad for about 4 months that I had to wear slippers because I couldn't tie my shoes. I couldn't even make a sandwich because I couldn't open the ziplock packages. They did extensive testing on me for about 8 months. I have what they call RSD or CRPS reflex sympathetic dystrophy aka complex regional pain syndrome. Basically the nerves misfire sending constant pain signals to the brain. On top of that when they did my nerve conduction tests with the needles and electrodes they found out that I also have carpal tunnel. It's a long rough road my friend. I've been living on pain pills and nerve drugs. Then I have to get spinal injections and injections in my wrist and thumbs just to keep me moving. I hope that you don't have what I have but it's nothing to mess with. Go to the doc.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
I've been living on pain pills and nerve drugs.
This explains alot SB!

What is the prognosis? Does it get better or worse?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:36 AM

haha I knew that someone would say that. Well basically all they can do is try to control the pain. Theres really no cure. It starts out with an injury. I see a chiropractor and a accupressure guy too. I still have pain but I'm down to only one vicodin in the morning to get my achy body moving then I'm usually ok for the rest of the day. I also have to take Lyrica which is a nerve drug similar to Neurontin. It slows the nerve impulses. The spinal injections help the most. ( cervical sympathetic block) It got my hand to close all the way with most of my strength back. They want to jab my neck every 2 weeks though. Not fun. At least they got my hands back so I can work. It's a dark day for a guy when he makes his living with his hands and loses the use of them. It's a fight for sure. Good luck Hotdram. Hopefully you just strained something and it will heal up. You could have torn a muscle attachment too. Definately go to the doc. I ignored my problem until I had nothing left.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

I had a wierd deal going on for a while some time back...

I was losing feeling in my pinkies and sometimes ring fingers... tingling in my ulnar nurves, etc.

turns out I was leaning on my elbows way too much and causing swelling around the nurve