Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need help: Suit colors....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help: Suit colors....

I'm going for an interview in about 5 days and dont have a suit to wear. I've been at my current job for a tad over 5 yrs so I paid no attention to my old suit, meaning they dont fit! I'm working on that part.. However, they are packe away, and I'm not sure on what colors to get. Thinking Navy pinstripped, but not sure on the shirt color. I just need overall advice on suits again. So my plan toady is to go suit shopping....
Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Most men's suit shops will set you up with a matching shirt - tie - socks - belt - and even shoes for the QEFTSG challenged.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM

blue, black or grey have always been the conservative colors to wear in an interview. white shirt, dark, simple tie.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Most men's suit shops will set you up with a matching shirt - tie - socks - belt - and even shoes for the QEFTSG challenged.

QEFTSG! LOL I was hoping cheapish. Hmmm Mens wearhouse is near me. Any other good shops around? I'm still searching online as well. Man Now I know why I stayed at this job so long.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I would think something left over from a 70's wedding would be ideal

Maybe a bright orange Tux with a Neru collar would be certain to make you stand out in a crowd

What ever you choose, GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I would think something left over from a 70's wedding would be ideal

Maybe a bright orange Tux with a Neru collar would be certain to make you stand out in a crowd

What ever you choose, GOOD LUCK!!!!
Big pimping purple?? Man I'm gonna show up and get fired before I get the job!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Chapter President

white shirt and a dark tie...Dark grey suit will work well. pin stripes although look good are typically not a great choice for the first interview. this was the advise I rec`d a year ago when I went through the same thing are doing.
tom
Old 11-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 2500CTD
Big pimping purple?? Man I'm gonna show up and get fired before I get the job!!
Never take fashion advice from a man that wore camouflage clothing for over 20 years
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM

I got a couple ideas, but if I take the jacket off, I dont think the shirt/pants will look right. Anything over 75 degress and I'm buring up, so suits are like a oven for me. I usually take the jacket off. I'm thinking Navy but wouldnt a white shirt be a little bright? Looked at a grey shirt but that was when I thought about the suit loosing its appeal if I take the jacket off.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd wager that Men's Warehouse has someone to set you up.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 AM

A charcoal color wool year-round suit is the best when it is your only suit. You can wear it to job interviews, weddings, funerals, Sunday church, etc. A white shirt is fine, but you can also go with off-white, grey, beige, blue, or olive green when wearing charcoal.

If you have a larger JCPenney nearby they have a nice selection of wool suits that are a fantastic deal when on sale.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM

If you buy an inexpensive suit make sure to not put the pants or jacket on until you get to the interview.. If you sit in your car with the pants the backs of the legs will become wrinkled and bunched up and look really bad..

just find a restroom near by and change just before you get there and try not to sit to long before the interview..

Remember first impressions...

Gerry
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I'd wager that Men's Warehouse has someone to set you up.
I agree with ED, tell them you need something simple, fairlt conservative, semi stylish, and how much you have to spend, They will hook you up. The basic suits never really go out of style, and can be had for reasonable prices.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I HATE suits! The last time I was in a suit was in 1991 when my dad died, and that was only because my mother made a big stink about going to the service in my logger jeans. (I figured it would be ok, they were clean and almost new) I don't think that suit would fit anymore even if I could find it!

Doesn't Wal-Mart sell suits? I don't think I'd spend much money on one. What if you don't get the job? Then all that money was for nothing.

chaikwa.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Don't laugh, but I saw some suits at Super Target that weren't bad looking and were very decently priced. I haven't worn a suit in a long time and none of mine fit me now. I was recently thinking of switching employers and was looking at the Target suits.

Good luck,
~Rob

Quick Reply: Need help: Suit colors....