Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need Advice (Career Opportunity)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need Advice (Career Opportunity)

Okay...I'm in a situation where I need some advice and I thought who better to ask than my friends on DTR.

As some of you may know, I'm looking to change companies. My wife and I would like to move to either College Station, Texas or Austin, Texas.

This afternoon I had a first interview with a company that would put me to work in Austin. We'll call this one "Company A". It's a great company, the interview went very well and I expect to have a second interview next week or possibly the following week. Assuming that interview goes well then they will most likely make me an offer. This company would offer good opportunities for advancement, and above all, I would most likely be able to continue living in Austin for as long as I want to. Even if I were to leave Austin, I would definitely be able to stay in Texas (I have no desire to leave Texas).

Later in the day I had a first interview with a second company. We'll call this one "Company B". This company is a much larger nationwide company. I met with the interviewer at an IHOP while we discussed the position over cold drinks. As we were wrapping up the interview, he asked me if I was interested in the position. Of course I'm interested or I wouldn't be there...so I answered, "Yes, I'm definitely interested." He then shocked the heck out of me by saying, "Okay, when can you start?" The official offer won't be made until Tuesday after he has talked to my references, but basically the job is mine if I want it.

My situation is this: My preference would be Company A for a long term and rewarding position in Austin, Texas. However, even though the interview with them this afternoon went very well, there is no guarantee that they will make me an offer. Company B, on the other hand, would be a rewarding career but would probably require me to relocate quite frequently (which I don't really want to do). Their mentality is "we are a builder and we go where our clients want to build".

Honestly, I'm not THAT interested in Company B, but I think they probably have more to offer than the company I currently work for. That being said, Company B pretty much wants me to give them a definite yes or no on Tuesday when they call me with an offer.

So, I'm in a situation where I can take the offer from Company B which is a sure thing, OR I can turn them down and hope that Company A makes an offer. I guess the question is, if you were in this situation (which I admit is a good situation to be in), would you "settle" and take the sure thing or would you hold out and hope that Company A makes you an offer??

Thoughts?? Advice??
Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your heart is set with company A, I say wait and see if they make you an offer. Nothing to loose by being patient.

MikeyB
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Definately Go with option C
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you put off Company "B" you may wind up getting a better offer from Company "B" if they are really interested in you..

You could also BS them a little and tell them you would not be able to start for 30 days due to a pending project that needs to be finished.. that will give you more time to work on Company "A"
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 PM

A bird in hand is priceless compared with two in the bush!!! Or however that goes. Pray about it and I hope all goes well. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Turn it over to the Lord Hoss. He'll let you know which is right.

Rich.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDaze
Turn it over to the Lord Hoss. He'll let you know which is right.

Rich.
Already done that. I just thought I'd ask you guys too.

Truthfully, my gut feeling is that I need to tell Company B that I want to hear what Company A has to offer before I commit to anything. If they're willing to give me some time, which they should be, then that will tell me something about them. If they try to pressure me into telling them something right away then I think I'll probably pass on the offer.

Pros and Cons:

Company A

Pros:
  • Ability to settle down in the most beautiful part of Texas
  • Good opportunities for career advancements in position and salary
  • Seems to be a company that shares my work philosophy
  • Better benefits

Cons:
  • No guarantee that they'll make an offer

Company B

Pros:
  • Good opportunities for growth and advancement
  • Offer is pretty much a sure thing
  • Large, well-respected nationwide company

Cons:
  • Never know where the next project is going to be (no settling down)
  • Probably a little more hardnosed than I care for
  • Not really a company that I would have ever been interested in if they weren't doing work in College Station

I guess that last con pretty much answers the question I'm asking. It's a bit flattering that they would make me an offer at the first interview, but really the ONLY reason I'm even talking to them is for the opportunity to move to College Station, which as it turns out would be a temporary move.

Writing it all out has really helped. I guess I didn't need you guys after all.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 PM

and the big one from Company "A" BETTER BENIFITS...

I could make more money for another compnay but the public utility job I have makes up fot it in benifits... Pension/health/dental/vision/vacation (5 weeks a year)/ and an additional 401K with matching funds/ +more those are just the main ones...

Gerry
Old 01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that Austin was full of hippies and College Station is full of, well, Big Blue...

Are you sure you want to move?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Hoss,
There is something to be said for stability. Being able to keep your kids in one school system is less stress on them (although they can / do adapt pretty quickly).

I'd probably go for option A as well. If your heart isn't in it at the beginning, it will only get worse every time that you have to pick up the family and move.

Good luck to ya ... I am sure that you will hear something positive from company A soon.

PISTOL
Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 PM

been there , take the first offer with a two week before you can start date and by then you should know if the other job will offer you the job and if they do, just tell the first company the truth about the better offer and they will understand
Old 01-21-2006, 12:37 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hoss, its amazing how writing out or talking about a situation can clear it up isnt it?
From the tone of your posts, I ge tthe impression that you realy want to stay put, so A would be the better choice.
Unless your miserable where you are at( which is where you are if you get neither one) why take a position that you know your not going to be happy with????

If you want ot keep both options open then I agree that you should tell Company B that you have another possibility to explore, or just put them off 30-40 days and see what happens
Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 AM

Ok, I havent been around very long yet but what I have found is it doesnt matter the benifits or how much you get paid (to a point), what matters is that you are happy with what you are doing. If you are not, its not worth it. I would rather take a pay cut doing something I enjoy then make twice as much doing something that I dislike.

Edited to add: though if you have to move, think of all the towing you get to do with the truck!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:48 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a big fan of relocation. It can be tough on kids and marriages.

It's one thing to move for a job once, but to move from where you moved to for the same job, that would stink.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
I thought that Austin was full of hippies and College Station is full of, well, Big Blue...

Are you sure you want to move?
Yeah, Austin is too liberal for me, that's why I'm still in Houston.
CS is a nice place to live.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Need Advice (Career Opportunity)