Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My truck sold!!! I think...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck sold!!! I think...

If any of you have seen the classifieds and my sig, my ol Ford is for sale. Well, I got a hit on craigslist from a guy who seemed interested. He hasn't called, only email but seems pretty legit. He wants to send me an "echeck" (????????????? I'm from the country). Ok. I do everything he says to do to get it set up, but I have to print my own check and cash it at the bank. Ok...Well he sent me $2,000 extra and asked if I could western union it to the shipper, gave an address (Its in Nigeria) and number to a person I should call to get the shipment set up. WHAT? he goes on to tell me that my truck I'm selling will no longer be in the US, and that the shipper won't get the truck until i verify the check clears.(all of this conversation is by email) Seems legit, but I can't help but worry that I'm missing something that can kick me in the a$$ later. I have never done anything like this before, and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I emailed him and told him that I want to talk to the person who will be the new owner and am waiting on a response. Am I being scammed? Please help!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Am I being scammed? Please help!!!
Yep. RUN Forrest, RUN!!!!!

Don't sell unless they bring you cash.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also a country boy and never heard of an "echeck" but if i would have to guess, i would say this is where he is going to scam you. Anytime Nigeria is mentioned I usally just chalk it up as a scam.
I would see if this "echeck " thing goes through and into your personal account ( A.K.A. your wallet) and then, and only then would i be sending the truck.

Maybe this is the same guy i am related to over there. He is sending me a 2 million dollar check anyday now because he is the son of my rich uncle and I was in his will.. All I have to do is send him 3 grand once I get the check. How could this ever go wrong.. ( yeah right)
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rip 112
Am I being scammed?
YES
,,,, Oldest SCAM on the internet.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
I am also a country boy and never heard of an "echeck" but if i would have to guess, i would say this is where he is going to scam you. Anytime Nigeria is mentioned I usally just chalk it up as a scam.
I would see if this "echeck " thing goes through and into your personal account ( A.K.A. your wallet) and then, and only then would i be sending the truck.

Maybe this is the same guy i am related to over there. He is sending me a 2 million dollar check anyday now because he is the son of my rich uncle and I was in his will.. All I have to do is send him 3 grand once I get the check. How could this ever go wrong.. ( yeah right)
In many cases, the check will clear into your account and it will be 2-3 weeks before the bank finds out that it's bogus. By then, your truck is gone and you've wired that $2000 to Nigeria and the bank is holding you responsible for the amount of the bad check. If they want to overpay and have you wire the money - consider it a scam. Tell them to send the check to the shipper and have the shipper bring you cash.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Email back and ask if the numbers 4-1-9 mean anything to him.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
In many cases, the check will clear into your account and it will be 2-3 weeks before the bank finds out that it's bogus. By then, your truck is gone and you've wired that $2000 to Nigeria and the bank is holding you responsible for the amount of the bad check. If they want to overpay and have you wire the money - consider it a scam. Tell them to send the check to the shipper and have the shipper bring you cash.

You are exactly right.. That is why I said to wait and see the money in his personal account AKA his wallet.

Does any ever actually fall for this???
Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 PM

i just assumed that this was a joke. a bit of the ol DTR sarcasim, perhaps?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:44 PM

Wow, this guy just won't give up!!! I emailed him back and stated that I needed a more suitable source of funds and that I WAS NOT responsible for shipping. Guess what happens...11:15pm tonight I get a call from an email relay service. he relayed that he wasn't scamming, that the "new owner" will call me on Monday and how I was needed to wire the money to the shippers. i continued stating that I WILL NOT be responsible and if he wants to do business it needed to be diverted to a better, safer, non-scamming method. as I'm waiting for a response, the manager of the relay service came on the line and stated that he was detected as fraudulent by his statements and advised me not to deal with him. I told her i was well aware of the situation and was trying to correct it. i went ahead and terminated the conversation...Wow that really makes me mad!!! thanks for all the replies, and Ol Blue has resumed sale... I don't know whether to be happy or sad...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Be happy you didn't get scammed, and mildly sad you didn't sell the truck yet...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:09 AM

yep, they can be quite persistent. Like him telling you he wasn't scamming was going to change your mind....
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by s cesnick

Does any ever actually fall for this???
yes the poster of this thread "almost did"

like was said earlier this is the oldest scam on the Internet....glad they did not get you!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:21 AM

I truly had a bad feeling from the first time he sent an email. Alot of this :" so I would like to buy from you..so can you send pics.."to "ok I would like to set up funds..so you can get your money". I wasn't sure on the validity of his statement on the check that i called my bank and talked to them about this echeck. They told me immediately to watch out. I just couldn't place it because I've never made an Internet transaction this big and I was still researching it. It now all makes sense and every detail counted. They're doing it for a reason, they're obviously pretty good at cheating...
Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM

So glad to hear you didn't get taken by this scam, it's sad how many folks do fall for this

I accept cash, cash or cash*

*then I use one of those counterfeit checking pens
Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM

rip 112 "I don't know whether to be happy or sad..."

Well, if you want to GIVE your truck away and send $2000 cash with it, you ought to be sad.

If you want fair market value for your truck, and would like to keep the $2000 in your account for future needs....be happy!

It's really that simple