Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

my bank screwed me!!!

Old 05-29-2004, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down my bank screwed me!!!

I'm extremely hot right now. Went to go shopping tonight and had our checks refused at 2 different places. The 2nd place (wal-mart) says that we owe em $65 for the actual amount and the bad check fee. Well, we get home and my wife double checks the balance in her check register... it all checks out. She calls the 24hr 800 #, and goes through all the transactions, and what d'ya know... it seems the bank cashed our rent check 3 times at $300 a pop! I had lots of projects to do this weekend, and now no $$ to do it. I plan on reaming someone out tuesday morning at the bank... I think I'll stay home tuesday so I can go raise hell.
My question is, what are we supposed to do about the bounced check fees that all these individual stores are gonna charge us? Will our bank take care of it, or are we gonna have to pay them even though it wasn't our fault?
I'm so P'd off right now, I can't see straight... what makes it even better is I'm sick as a dog. The first national bank of Allendale IL is probably gonna lose an account.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:44 PM

Make the bank eat the cost and if they don't go to the better business dept in your area to complain. If that does not give you satisfaction, get a different bank.

I had a department store over charge me like this and they picked up all the bounced check charges.

Good luck, Srigs
Old 05-29-2004, 11:00 PM

yeah you have to keep an eye on the bank, they are a money making business, you should always double check things if even just to rpotect yourself from identity theft, bank should take care of all costs associated with THIER mistake. $300 for rent back when I was paying rent at the ripe age of 17 nearly 15 years ago cheapest rent I could find for livable conditions in midwest madison wisconsin was $425 and that did't last long as after the sublet was up went up to $475 or something and that was the cheapest I ever paid now its more than 3 times that but thats principle interest and taxes and I build equity instead of flushing it
Old 05-29-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My bank also did this many years ago. I went in and we went over the ledger to make sure it was the banks fault. It was their fault, and they covered the costs. I also asked them to write letters to the places the checks were bounced stating that it was their fault and an apology for the inconvenience to them and myself. The letter also stated that I was an outstanding banking customer.
I changed banks after this.

Mike
Old 05-29-2004, 11:48 PM

Re: my bank screwed me!!!

Originally posted by Jeremy Cusick
it seems the bank cashed our rent check 3 times at $300 a pop!
AWESOME, absolutely awesome. At least reality exists somewhere. Be glad you live where you do. 300 per month wouldn't get you a mailbox in Vegas.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Banned

I do believe the bank will pick up any fees. Try to be cool with them. You will get further. I know you are p'o'd right now but try to cool off. And BTW 300 bucks is cheap rent. I pay more than that for storage places. Good luck
Old 05-30-2004, 08:11 AM

Yeah, I live in the buttcrack of Illinois, so rents fairly cheap in these parts. The downside is the county I live in is in the top 8 for unemployment (last time I read up on it anyway). Unemployment jumped when Snap-On shut their plant down in Mt. Carmel.
Lucky for me, I've got an OK job, but the pay's great for my area.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Go to your banks bookkeeping verify it was the banks fault....ask them if they will cover all costs due to the banks error, if they say anything other then we will cover everything and clean your record with all the businesses that got bounced checks

If they hedge on any of these points tell them your taking this issue to your states Banking Commission or the Banking Commissioner.....most banks donot want the banking commisson coming in to audit their books

Sorry to hear this happen to you I know it tuff to get thru a hoilday weekend without money but good luck anyways
Old 05-30-2004, 08:29 AM

I just checked... Wabash Co. is ranked #3 as the highest unemployment rate in IL. Now ya know why rent's cheap.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Lord knows I need it!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I was planning on getting some supplies to touch up the rock chips in my paint, re-paint the rearend, an some charcoal for a cookout on monday.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:25 PM

If you were closer I would help you out hope you have a good weekend anyways
god bless and thank the troops.

by the way shouldn't we have a saluting the flag smiley face??
Old 05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Re: my bank screwed me!!!

Originally posted by Jeremy Cusick
The 2nd place (wal-mart) says that we owe em $65 for the actual amount and the bad check fee.
No one's addressed this point, but if they refused your check on the spot through some type of agency check, you don't owe them a bounced check fee. The check didn't bounce, they didn't deposit it into their account and have it come back through, so you don't owe any fee.

Now, if you took the stuff, they deposited the check, then it's back to getting your bank to pick up the fee and clear your name with a letter saying it was their fault, not yours.

And make sure they submit (or give to you) a letter to whatever agency it is that tracks bounced checks because it affects your credit score and possibly even your ability to open an account at another bank; they do have black lists of bad checking account people.

Finally, mistakes do happen. If this has been the only mistake your bank made, and they make good on it, then there's really no need to change banks. You might also even be able to negotiate something else with them for the loss of 3 days of being able to do projects because you couldn't buy supplies. Refund of ATM fees for the next year. A nominal deposit into your account. an interest credit if you have any loans with them. Whatever. It won't be much because banks are the cheapest, money grubbing organizations out there. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:47 PM

I'll just be glad to have it all fixed. This is the first time they screwed up... last time was the payroll dept where I work. THey messed up some employees direct deposites (way more $$$ dep. than they had coming), so they pulled all direct deposites and cancelled all checks. I had a bunch of overdraft fees that time, too. The bank did cancel all the overdraft fees once they found out what was going on... but that was BS cause my employer was gonna pay them.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:25 PM

For the most part, when we've had mistakes, they've been in our favor. One time, $200 showed up in there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my bank screwed me!!!