Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Military vehicles message board

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military vehicles message board

Hey guys,<br>Hope I don't step on any toes here &gt;, but I just wanted to let y'all know about the Military Vehicles Message Board that I have on my site, Steel Soldiers. It's small potatoes :-[ compared to the DTR as we only have 63 members, but it's kinda cool if you are curious about MVs or if you have one lurking around your homestead. Thanks.<br>Chris<br>
Old 01-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Military vehicles message board

Nice looking board. I don't mind. I encourage those interested to go and check it out. Good luck with it!
Old 01-03-2003, 08:02 AM

Thanks Jack,<br>I wanted to share, but I didn't want to PO anybody on the DTR board. You guys have been invaluable in making an informed CTD decision. You already saved me from buying two bombs, and not the good kind of bombs either. <br>Sincerely,<br>Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Military vehicles? whats that? ;D I always thought I looked good in olive drab <br><br>Chris great site! I have a couple of Military vehicles gathering dust in my closet. Size 13 Corcoran Jump boots ;D<br><br> Somehow I don't think they quite fit in with the rest of your site, but amazingly many soldiers have traveled a LOOOOONGGGG way in them!.<br><br> I had a chance to get a hold of an old Sherman Tank when I was the commander of a local VFW post. I wish I had taken them up on it. <br><br> My neighbors are probaly glad I didn't, I most likely would have gotten that turret to rotate again and would have made them nervous playing &quot;pick a target&quot; ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 08:22 AM

[quote author=SFtopSGT link=board=10;threadid=9135;start=0#87757 date=1041602739]<br> I had a chance to get a hold of an old Sherman Tank when I was the commander of a local VFW post. I wish I had taken them up on it. <br><br> My neighbors are probaly glad I didn't, I most likely would have gotten that turret to rotate again and would have made them nervous playing &quot;pick a target&quot; ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have some neighbors who would benefit from an experience like that. And a few run-down houses that could use the tender ministrations of a Sherman, or perhaps a D9 Cat. ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 08:32 AM

They'd probably ask to borrow the old Sherman for a little deer hunting . Some of the guns I have heard going off in the WV hills over the years have sounded like artillery, or at least a .50 cal BMG. Give me a yell sometime and we'll take the ol' deuce for a ride. Me, my Dad, and brother fired up that old multi-fuel engine over x-mas and took the M35A2 for a trip across the strip mine . That sucker was belching the smoke when it fired up. The sun was behind the clouds, but my neck was a nice shade of RED. Here's a pic of it from back in the summer: Still painted up from Desert Storm. The collection keeps growing much to the wife's dismay. Wait 'til I start building my CTD. <br>Sincerely,<br>Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 08:47 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas

I can see it right now!!!!!<br><br>&quot;You young whippersnapper!!!!! Our stuff was painted OD fourty years before you kids came up with the bright idea to put such a high tech paint on these vehicles that you have to repaint them every time you go in the woods. ENAMEL RULES!!!!&quot; <br><br>shortround out
Old 01-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Admin Team Leader

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=9135;start=0#87790 date=1041605260]<br>I can see it right now!!!!!<br><br>&quot;You young whippersnapper!!!!! Our stuff was painted OD fourty years before you kids came up with the bright idea to put such a high tech paint on these vehicles that you have to repaint them every time you go in the woods. ENAMEL RULES!!!!&quot; <br><br>shortround out<br>[/quote]
Old 01-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Admin Team Leader

Chris I keep a boat on Stonewall Jackson Lake. We will have to get together especially since that just about makes us neighbors
Old 01-03-2003, 09:18 AM

Sounds good Lary. Once I get my truck we'll have a KDP &gt; killing party. Are there any other Hillbilly Mountaineers on the DTR?<br>Chris, registered hillbilly ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Admin Team Leader

Their is 1 other I am sure of, but he devides his time with the west coast as well. Maybe we will end up with enough guys here to start up a WVDTR Chapter we can always use one more excuse to get together and drink a few beers while swapping lies ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 AM

WVDTR, that has a nice ring to it. There have to be some more CTD guys around in WV, it's just a matter of going up the right holler and finding them . Seriously though, I see quite a few of them on the road around here. Maybe once I get my truck, a big ol' DTR window sticker would attract some attention. A sticker and a plume of smoke rolling off while blasting up Sandstone Mtn at 75 towing 10k. Hee-hee, I can see it now ;D.<br>Sincerely,<br>Chris, grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars <br><br>Here's my '84 CUCV as it looked about 4 years ago before being repainted solid CARC sand camo.<br>
Old 01-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded in my previous truck that had 405,000 mile on it.... and every mile was obvious by the look of the truck!<br><br>I traded that in and the dealer probably sold it to the military as a bombing range target! Does that count? <br><br>Rich
Old 01-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Holy smokes that's a lot of miles! They may have tried to use it as a target, but it probably disintegrated before they could tow it into position . Actually, the US Military is currently developing a program called Commercially Based Tactical Truck (COMBATT) program) where it uses civilian trucks, slighlty modified, in a tactical manner, kinda like the CUCV (commercial utility cargo vehicles) series from GM. The vehicle developed for the Army will be based on the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup equipped with a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain. The vehicle can be operated in either diesel-electric hybrid or electric-only mode. When parked, the vehicle's hybrid powertrain components can be used to provide up to 20 kW of continuous electrical power to operate electrical equipment at remote sites. Sounds like an interesting system, if not kinda wacky. I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere.<br>Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a pic of the Dodge COMBATT truck.

Quick Reply: Military vehicles message board