Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

MERRY CHRISTmas time

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sinton
I get offended when people call it a "Holiday Season." Sorry if it offends you, but if we took Christ out of it all, we would all be saying "Merry Mas."

God Bless and hope you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Well, It doesn't particularly "bother" me. You have to remember, we invited all of these different religions over here to do our hard work during the idustrial revolution. Kinda hard now to get mad a Jew's for celebrating Chanukah(sp?) or African Americans with their Kwanza. Sure we feel like America is a "Christian" country, but we had or borders open to all of these other religions, don't take it personal now that they are business leaders and people that can tell their employees not to mention Christmas.
There are Millions of Jews, Muslins and the like out there in which Jesus plays a different (or no) role in their beliefs. Welcome to the USA.
I'm not directing these thoughts at you sinton, just used your post as an example.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll bet that if everyone who thinks we shouldn't say Merry Christmas had to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas day they would be a little more reluctant to be politically correct!

Funny side note... This occured just last night. I have an employee who is working part time in the afternoons and evenings at the local Sears in the Lawn & Garden department. He's a younger fellow and not even of Catholic denomination. He inquired to his store manager about wearing a Santa Claus hat while out on the floor and was promptly shot down. When the inevitable word "why?" came out of him he was told that it was corporate policy. "That's funny," he says to his manager, "I was just down the road at Sears Hardware picking up a piece of stock and their store manager stated that corporate policy mandated all of the cashiers to wear Santa Claus hats." I'll post any new findings as they come about.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
Well, It doesn't particularly "bother" me. You have to remember, we invited all of these different religions over here to do our hard work during the idustrial revolution. Kinda hard now to get mad a Jew's for celebrating Chanukah(sp?) or African Americans with their Kwanza. Sure we feel like America is a "Christian" country, but we had or borders open to all of these other religions, don't take it personal now that they are business leaders and people that can tell their employees not to mention Christmas.
There are Millions of Jews, Muslins and the like out there in which Jesus plays a different (or no) role in their beliefs. Welcome to the USA.
I'm not directing these thoughts at you sinton, just used your post as an example.
And if we told the Jews they could say "Happy Chanukah" or told the African Americans that they couldn't say "Happy Kwanzaa", we would be accused of discrimination. But telling someone not to say "Merry Christmas" is just respecting everyone else's beliefs. How do you figure?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:06 PM

that's just waaaay overboard if you can't even wear a santa claus hat. people are so uptight lately, why can't they just relax a little?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy Holidays

If someone says "Happy Holidays" to you, just ask them which Holy Day (origin of holiday) they are celebrating. Maybe we can get that one banned too.

Merry CHRISTmas to all.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 PM

I truthfully don't care what others say and do --nor do i care if they agree or disagree with what i do.

Shoot, God even gave me the strength to tolerate right wingers !!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herb
Shoot, God even gave me the strength to tolerate right wingers !!
Please pray for me....God has not yet given me the strength to tolerate LEFT wingers. Sorry Herb, you MADE me do it!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Please pray for me....God has not yet given me the strength to tolerate LEFT wingers. Sorry Herb, you MADE me do it!

not everyone can do the impossible, crob
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
i do agree that people are starting to stand up for their freedoms. the thing that bugs me the most is the stupid minority of people that get all offended at rude things (like 'merry christmas' or praying for safety at a football game) that are getting the press coverage and people like the ACLU that back those idiots in lawsuits. with crap like that it's seriously easier to get sued for saying "merry christmas" than "%*$* you".
my freshman and sophomore years in highschool, before football games we had a prayer. during my junior and senior years it was "a moment of personal reflection"
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derek840378
my freshman and sophomore years in highschool, before football games we had a prayer. during my junior and senior years it was "a moment of personal reflection"
During the "moment of personal reflection" we should pray for those that took the prayer away. (Pick your own prayer.)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM

Its so annoying, people cant just leave well enough alone, it is just like the person trying to take "under god" out from the pledge. People need more stuff to do OBVIOUSLY! If they have the time to be so petty and get offended by the littlest things, they need to get a LIFE. At work, we are going to have a " CHRISTMAS PARTY" and then after some person said that they wouldnt go until it was changed, it is now called a " WINTER PARTY" because of one person that could not just take one for the team, since he says that " God is irrelevant and made up for little kids amusement" of course he was greeted with me no longer scheduling under him, but still people need to get a life...
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by chaos24valve
Its so annoying, people cant just leave well enough alone, it is just like the person trying to take "under god" out from the pledge. People need more stuff to do OBVIOUSLY! If they have the time to be so petty and get offended by the littlest things, they need to get a LIFE. At work, we are going to have a " CHRISTMAS PARTY" and then after some person said that they wouldnt go until it was changed, it is now called a " WINTER PARTY" because of one person that could not just take one for the team, since he says that " God is irrelevant and made up for little kids amusement" of course he was greeted with me no longer scheduling under him, but still people need to get a life...

people like that need a near death experience or two. that will really change their perspective on being that stuck on petty things...it did for me! it's amazing how differently i view life and take into consideration the people around me after being in a major trauma/near death experience. would it be bad if we introduced them to one??
Old 12-09-2005, 09:31 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Geico266
What I find amazing is people that don't believe in Jesus Christ get all worked up about celibrating his birthday
I don’t.

Even if all of the customs that surround Christmas pre-date the birth of Jesus Christ, I could care less if you tell me Merry Christmas. In fact, I much prefer it over "Happy Holidays" or "Season’s Greetings". Maybe it was because I was brought up in a Christian family and just like the tradition, or maybe it’s just because I'm used to it, I don’t know. Though I don’t celebrate Christmas for the same reasons most of you do, I can’t imagine it being called something else. When I was a child it was Christmas time. We sang Christmas Carols. We opened Christmas Presents under the Christmas Tree. And we said Merry Christmas.

Are we now going to change the name of the classic Dickens novel “A Christmas Carol” to "A Holiday Carol"? Can we no longer read "The Night Before Christmas"? Will you no longer be able to sing “Oh Holy Night” because it might offend someone? I guess this will be the last year to sell “Christmas Trees”? "Holiday Trees" for everyone next year.

Though I personally don’t believe in religion, this political correctness is going to far. People get offended over the smallest things (on all sides). The way I see it, a small number of people are getting offended over what the majority wants to say at a certain time of year. Screw’em! Say what you want and be proud of it.

I truly hope every one of you have a Merry Christmas!

Britt

Old 12-09-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
not everyone can do the impossible, crob
Kneel at your CHRISTmas tree and ask for help
Old 12-09-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by t-7 firefighter
I don’t.

Even if all of the customs that surround Christmas pre-date the birth of Jesus Christ, I could care less if you tell me Merry Christmas. In fact, I much prefer it over "Happy Holidays" or "Season’s Greetings". Maybe it was because I was brought up in a Christian family and just like the tradition, or maybe it’s just because I'm used to it, I don’t know. Though I don’t celebrate Christmas for the same reasons most of you do, I can’t imagine it being called something else. When I was a child it was Christmas time. We sang Christmas Carols. We opened Christmas Presents under the Christmas Tree. And we said Merry Christmas.

Are we now going to change the name of the classic Dickens novel “A Christmas Carol” to "A Holiday Carol"? Can we no longer read "The Night Before Christmas"? Will you no longer be able to sing “Oh Holy Night” because it might offend someone? I guess this will be the last year to sell “Christmas Trees”? "Holiday Trees" for everyone next year.

Though I personally don’t believe in religion, this political correctness is going to far. People get offended over the smallest things (on all sides). The way I see it, a small number of people are getting offended over what the majority wants to say at a certain time of year. Screw’em! Say what you want and be proud of it.

I truly hope every one of you have a Merry Christmas!

Britt

And a Merry Christmas to you Britt.
Not trying to be nosey, just curious. do you not beleive in God or do you not beleive in religion ?
Big difference i think.

Quick Reply: MERRY CHRISTmas time