Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Macho Man!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macho Man!!

Growing up I was taught that if a job is worth doing . . . it's worth doing RIGHT!!

So . . . my first job at producing kidney stones has engaged BOTH kidneys, which the doctor said was pretty unusual, and 9 stones total!

But back to the macho man stuff. I spent two weeks enduring some really awful back pain, starting on one side, then the other.

Being a macho man, I thought that it would eventually go away and that I could get thru it none-the-worse and NOT have to go see the doctor man, which I usually avoid at ALL costs.

Well, at the end of that excruciating two week period, I wound up heading into the local ER at 3:30AM crying like a baby!! I have never experienced such a sustained & intense pain in all my life!!

My macho man ignorance had allowed the stones to completely block my urethra preventing my kidneys to drain into my bladder. My creatinine levels were above 3.5 putting me as close as you can get to needing to be on the dialysis machine!!

Immediate surgery was required to put two stents in both kidneys and I left the hospital 3 days later. Two weeks later the stents have been removed and I'm passing stones 4 mm in size!! 5 have passed so far. (Dad, are ya proud yet!?)

Moral of this story - Don't be a Macho Man!! It can be REALLY, REALLY painful and quite unnecessary!!

Macho Man - 0, Kidney Stones - 1
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Wow! Glad you are recovering and sorry to hear about the stones.
I have known people who got only one very small stone and thought it was terrible.
As you said, your parents should be proud of you.
Get well soon.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 years ago I had kidney stones right after I started dating my wife (married 10 years today!!). Went out for supper and almost passed out from the pain. Tried to be tough and have a nice evening. I almost threw up it hurt so bad. Went to the doc on Sunday morning, but by then they had passed. Wow, what a terrible experience (kidney stones, not being married for 10 years...).
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Got a good buddy enduring this right now!! Awful, and he's a tough mother so its gotta be bad.

glad you are well!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Got a good buddy enduring this right now!! Awful, and he's a tough mother so its gotta be bad.

glad you are well!
YES! And thank you!

I was told by the docs that summer is the worse time for kidney stones due to dehydration!

I usually drink about about a pot of high-test coffee (caffeine) a day, which coffee is not really the problem but if that's ALL you drink it can be as caffeinated coffee is a diuretic.

Gotta hydrate often with water! I hate plain water!!

My stone composition requires a diet change of less salt (usually don't add any salt but salt is in almost everything today), NO cola drinks (there goes the rum & cokes), less red meat, (OMG do I have to become a vegan now?) No offense to my vegan buddies if I have any! And more potassium.

Hope yer buddy makes out better than I did!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've discovered that Potassium Chloride is a great substitute for table salt, and many low-sodium foods are using it. I'm curious as to why the no cola, especially as Coke Zero is roughly 98% water and zero sugar?

A side benefit of me for more Potassium has been increased fine motor skills, reduced arrhythmia and better focus (with the eyes, not with the mind)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had chronic kidney stone problems for 11 years now. I have found that your kidneys only seem to like water, & lemonade. If I drink a soda or coffee, I make sure I drink a glass of lemonade. The citric acid helps to break down the calcium that is part of the stones. Also, if you get the special little twinge in your back, you'll know what I mean when it happens, chug a bunch of cranberry juice. Breaks them down so they aren't so big when they go thruogh the tube from kidneys to bladder.
I've had surgery to remove them 6 times now. I don't recall how many e.r. trips that all entailed either.
Kidney stones are a huge drag. Only fix is to stay hydrated, and be careful how much salt, caffiene, calcium, and alcohol you drink. And balance it out with lemonade or cranberry juice. I actually take a cranberry vitamin every morning. Haven't had a stone since January of 2011.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Blood Sweat and Tears

Was not just a Rock Band.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear about your illness Scott

Prayers sent from WV for a speedy recovery
Old 08-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GMScott
So . . . my first job at producing kidney stones has engaged BOTH kidneys, which the doctor said was pretty unusual, and 9 stones total!
WOW!!!!

Talk about odd and horrible at the same time, but I think your math is off a bit .....

Originally Posted by GMScott
Macho Man - 0, Kidney Stones - 1

Shouldn't this be "Macho Man - 0, Kidney Stones - 9" instead?

Get well soon man, I just had one of the guys I work with go through this (he passed 3 stones) and it's not pleasant to watch, and I know it's worse to experience it.

-Kris
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
I've discovered that Potassium Chloride is a great substitute for table salt, and many low-sodium foods are using it. I'm curious as to why the no cola, especially as Coke Zero is roughly 98% water and zero sugar?

A side benefit of me for more Potassium has been increased fine motor skills, reduced arrhythmia and better focus (with the eyes, not with the mind)
Funny aside to this, funny now that is, my doc prescribed potassium citrate after I got out of the hospital, 2 pills 3 times a day.

However, when the local CVS filled the script, they misread the dose and labeled the bottle with 3 pills 3 times a day, essentially overdosing me by one course per day!! After 3 days of this I began experiencing heart palpitations, muscle cramps and a general overall weakness.

I contacted my doc who told me to get to the ER immediately!! ER visit found my potassium a bit elevated but EKG revealed no immediate danger.

The doc contacted the drugstore and they contacted me profusely appologizing, admitting their mistake!! They now call me everyday to see how I am and wanted to even waive the $5.00 co-pay for the potassium!!

Needless to say the doc took me off the potassium and I have advised CVS that they can not only waive the $5.00 co-pay for the potassium but they can also pay the bills for the extra ER visit!!

In researching potassium, yes it can be of great benefit, HOWEVER it can also be DEADLY when overdosed!!

As far as the cola, doc says its the caramel coloring that makes colas not a very good drink.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Sorry to hear about your illness Scott

Prayers sent from WV for a speedy recovery
Thank you sir, prayers from God's country are MUCH appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by HMX-1
WOW!!!!

Talk about odd and horrible at the same time, but I think your math is off a bit .....

Shouldn't this be "Macho Man - 0, Kidney Stones - 9" instead?

Get well soon man, I just had one of the guys I work with go through this (he passed 3 stones) and it's not pleasant to watch, and I know it's worse to experience it.

-Kris
Thank you Kris and thanks for the correction. The stones are more agreeable with YOUR math!!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by kerry.king
I've had chronic kidney stone problems for 11 years now. I have found that your kidneys only seem to like water, & lemonade. If I drink a soda or coffee, I make sure I drink a glass of lemonade. The citric acid helps to break down the calcium that is part of the stones. Also, if you get the special little twinge in your back, you'll know what I mean when it happens, chug a bunch of cranberry juice. Breaks them down so they aren't so big when they go thruogh the tube from kidneys to bladder.
I've had surgery to remove them 6 times now. I don't recall how many e.r. trips that all entailed either.
Kidney stones are a huge drag. Only fix is to stay hydrated, and be careful how much salt, caffiene, calcium, and alcohol you drink. And balance it out with lemonade or cranberry juice. I actually take a cranberry vitamin every morning. Haven't had a stone since January of 2011.
Doc agrees with your prescription of water & lemonade, for sure!!

Whew, chronic kidney stones for 11 YEARS!! Perish the thought!! Though doc says once you get em' you're prone to getting more!! YIKES!!

Been there, done that and DON'T want NO MO' of THAT!!

I'm going to be the most compliant patient this doc has ever seen, cause I DON'T EVER want to go thru that pain again. At least next time I might know what's going on and will head to the doc's office before I wind up in the ER crying & screaming like a 2 year old!!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

I had two ( small 1 & 2 mm) stones.......loads of fun though. I took apple cider vinegar ( friends cure).....and the Doc told me no more tea ( told me it was the # 1 cause). Fortunately, mine passed before my surgical date.

Quick Reply: Macho Man!!