Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lookin For A Steel Building

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin For A Steel Building

I know alot of you out there have already been down this or road or maybe even sell them yourself. Where can I find a good deal. It's gonna be a 2 story tack room and office on one end of it with the rest being a single story 4 bay shop.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

I keep hearing Paul Harvey gloating about the General Steel buildings. Might wanna check them out.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I keep hearing Paul Harvey gloating about the General Steel buildings. Might wanna check them out.
A good friend is in the process of putting up a 40X60 unit, and his comment on "The General" was that the quote started out cheap but every little thing was an additional charge, and by the time you were done, it was MUCH higher.
Another friend has been selling and putting up Butler Buildings for decades...don't know any more than that.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

I tried The General, they quoted my plans at $12,000 for the 22' X 25' w/18' Eaves and $13,000 for the 20' X 40' w12' eaves. That souded a little steep for just materials to me. Then tack on another $1200 for delivery and this doesn't even include doors and windows.

I also found out that several other companies on the net are subsidiaries of the General. I couldn't figure out why all the bids were coming in so close to each other, so I had to ask.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're looking for nice and not just cheap, take a look at Morton Buildings.

Rusty
Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 PM

A buddy of mine just put a "Cleary" building up, appears to be a really nice building, has R-19 insulation in the walls and R-30 in the ceiling.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IA_James
A buddy of mine just put a "Cleary" building up, appears to be a really nice building, has R-19 insulation in the walls and R-30 in the ceiling.
We have one of those, 30x40, but I have no idea what it cost since it was on the property when we bought it. It does seem pretty nice, although I don't think our insulation is quite that high an R value.

99 Cummins, if you're interested in detailed pictures of the construction, I can try to take some pictures for you next time I'm up there. This is a not so detailed shot of the exterior:

Old 02-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Just had a friend whom owns a feed store build one himself(he acted as his own contractor and subbed out the work)any way a 50 by a 100 that several STEEL building sites quoted 50k to 70k for.He did it by building walls with a framing crew,ordered trusses,having the crane truck lift them and same framing crew setting them in place and installing the roof tin.Then he hired two guys and rented a sissors truck and did the rest of tin themselves.Took a month.Total cost with footing and slab.A tad less then 18k.Opps that also included TWO big roll up doors he hired out to Overhead doors etc.All trim in brown and tan/creme tin sides etc.Looks pro done and matches his feed store.No insulation and min.lighting.Stores dog food,horse feed,mineral blocks etc in it.Once started HE worked on it 6 days a week,always something going on to get it done.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:17 PM

figure it all up on your own.these buildings are not hard to erect at all...materials are high right now though....mine is 30x30....10ft walls with a 15ft center.roll insulation in roof,not yet insulated the walls.concrete slab.2 10ft wide 8ft tall insulated garage doors(wayne dalton doors).1 regular entry door.all metal is r-rib...i used treated wood as apposed to metal for the framework due to cost...........all total,i had about 4500 bucks in it..........bama
Old 02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Now your talkin my language. Bama, where did you go for materials, I'm assuming the local hardware or steel supplier?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 PM

i got all my stuff local here.30ft chicken house trusses-99 bucks,,,4x6 uprights 14ft-15bucks apiece.all 2x4 framework on 2 ft centers........look in my photos and you can see what kind of building i have.the pics of my boat has some view of the inside of the building...................bama
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suppose, like real estate, location is everything. I'll be building an RV barn/shop/hideout building on our recently purchased retirement property - which is about 45-50 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Therefore, getting a structure that's engineered to withstand 100-125 MPH (or higher ) winds is worth the extra money. I guess it all depends on what one's requirements are.

Rusty
Old 02-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bama
i got all my stuff local here.30ft chicken house trusses-99 bucks,,,4x6 uprights 14ft-15bucks apiece.all 2x4 framework on 2 ft centers........look in my photos and you can see what kind of building i have.the pics of my boat has some view of the inside of the building...................bama
How do you go about attaching the 4x6 uprights to the concrete slab? Did you pour the slab first or put the uprights into the ground? I've been thinking about building a pole barn garage like yours instead of a regular type stick built....just unsure how to go about it.
Those chicken house trusses looklike the way to go....how do those attach?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:52 PM

i put the uprights in the ground about 3 to 4 feet,on footers,,concreted in.formed off those and poured the slab next.the trusses are lagged into the tops of the uprights.once you get it all tied in,you would be surprised at just how strong it is.we had some pretty mean winds come through off of katrina,and i live on the top of york mountain,with nothing to block the winds,and it held up with no problems.i was at work that night,and the wind was measuring gusts at 99 mph at legion field in town...........im sure there are better ways,but not for the money.......................bama
Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Bama, can you snap some pictures and send them to me, the more the better, I aint that smart you know. I'm gonna stick with all steel frame and siding for the office/tackroom portion, but I think I'm gonna go this route with the 20' X 40' garage. Thanks

Quick Reply: Lookin For A Steel Building