Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Little Help painting Ranchhand style bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Help painting Ranchhand style bumpers

Well my bumpers on my truck are long story, I worked on a dozer for a man in exchange for the bumpers. The bumpers were bare metal and he said he would paint them black for me. Well he did, but he just sprayed some rustolium ( sp? ) paint from walmart with a paint gun. He did prime them with the same brand paint I believe, after a month or two the black started to rub off and become really dull. I have had the bumpers on the truck for about a year and Im caught up on alot of projects so I want to repaint them. I took a wire wheel grinder to the rear bumper and stripped almost all the paint off. I noticed though when I got past the black, the primer seemed to be on there pretty good. I was wondering since the primer seems good, can I just ruff up the front bumper and paint it? Can I spray primer on the front bumper even though it already has paint on it? Im going to pickup some good primer and polyurithane tomorrow. I painted some before in school and just around the ranch. Since I have the back bumper down to bare metal, Im gonna prime it in the morning, how long should wait before I spray the color? The front bumper is my main problem, if I could just scruff it, prime it, and shoot it with color that would be great. I dont think I could ever take down to bare metal without sandblasting it since its a pretty good sinced bumper. I just bought a gravity feed gun at tractor supply. Im not going for a showroom finish I just really would like them to have a nice gloss finish. I know for what Im going to pay for paint and the money I spent on the gun I could have paid a small shop around here to do it but I really would like to learn how to do this. So far on this truck the only thing I have ever paid anyone to do was the bedliner. I really like the idea that I have done all the work I could do on this truck myself. If anyone has any advise I would be thankful. I guess I could say that I have the painting itself down, I just dont have alot of knowledge on the prep work.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I say rough up the paint with sandpaper or a scotch pad. Use MEK to remove any residue and use a good tractor paint like from TSC if on the cheap.

Best thing to do is a find a local powder coater.

MikeyB