Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lawn tractor shopping... Husqv. vs. Cub

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lawn tractor shopping... Husqv. vs. Cub

Hey all, I figured this would be a great place to get some oppinions. The wife and I went to Lowes today and as we were walking in a friendly store rep asked me if I wanted to take a spin on their tractors. I said "HECK YEAH'. It was great. I felt like a kid that was testing out new bicycles. I love these things and now I finally need one for our bigger lawn.

I "test drove" a Husqvarna 21hp,a Cub Cadet 17hp and Troybuilt with I think a 14hp. The Cub was a 1000 series but with a hydro static transmission. ( I know about the MDT thing) The Husq. had it the same way. Now they both were belt driven but both can be ordered with the opp. driveshaft. The Husq. to me seemed very heavy duty. It had a thicker cutting deck and just bigger all around in its construction. But the Cub drove terrific. The Husq has an odd way of driving. The brake was the only thing done by foot. You had a lever next to you on the right to go from R N F and to go fast you had to keep the lever all the way forward. With the cub you just selected R N F and gave it gas like a car.

The prices were as follows Cub LT1018 $1599 (with drive shaft $2000)
Th Husq YTH2148 was $1799 (with driveshaft about $2300)

I am on a budget and I do not think I could afford a "real" Cub at a Lawn equipment store.

The prices of these are around my price range and are of a decent quality. Question is do you think the belts would hold up for many years?? Has anyone ever had a problem with them?? It will be pretty much for mowing and leaf clean up. Won't do much plowing or "racing" although that thought did cross my mind

P.S. I noticed all the husbands that were with their wives while walking in all had the same look on their face while I was riding the tractors around the lot
Kinda like the gasser guys looking at a Cummins guys
Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to your local Cub Cadet, Husqvarna dealer.
I have found that if you buy one of these brand name items at your local Lowe's, Depot, Wal-Mart, they are not the same quality of what you would be getting at the dealer.
Case in point, my wife's uncle bought a Husqvarna snow thrower from Depot.
Took it home, worked great for the first season.
The first storm of the second season it started giving him trouble with the drive unit.
Took it to the local Husq. dealer, it was under warranty.
Dealer fixed it, uncle went to pick it up.
Uncle asked what happened to it, Dealer says the problem was due to the drive unit being for an 8hp unit when the thrower was a 12hp.
Dealer says the manufacturer cheapens them up a little so they can sell them to the big chain stores.
Dealer showed Uncle the differences between the two, put them side by side.
First warranty fix is replace existing drive with same.
Second fix is upgrade to the right unit for the hp.

The difference in price between the thrower, tractor at the big chain may be a couple hundred bucks.
But you get what you pay for.

Just my .02
Rich
Old 03-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Chapter President

Buy A Deere.....even a used John Deere is better then most new tractors.....I have a Deere with a 48" deck and have taken down small trees (1 1/2" Dia) with it and plowed snow....yes everything for a John Deere costs more but I've found they last longer even the blades

Just my .02 cents
Old 03-21-2004, 06:32 AM

a long with the deere you can look at Simplicity. I have a Landlord model with a 50" deck and it has a great cut and a great reputation. The Kabota's are also nice tractors. As mentioned here go to an independent dealer near you to buy one. You will get much better help and service. There is a good forum on the Garden Web about lawn and garden tractors at gardenwebs.com
Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about the little B series Kubota diesel riding mower?

MikeyB
Old 03-21-2004, 06:43 AM

If that is your price range I would go with the Husqy (as we call 'em around here)! Get it from a dealer, not Lowes as mentioned above.

Currently using a 27hp 60" Dixie Chopper here. I'll race your Deere!

Matt
Old 03-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seven years ago, I bought a 46" cut Yard Machine from Lowes. It has a 20.5 HP Brigges and Stratton. I've used it to mow 10 ac., spread dirt and gravel, haul horse poop and let the little kids "drive". Other then wearing out two starter gears (plastic ), replacing the blades and one spindle on the mower, I've had real good luck with it. Good maintenance will make any of them last a lot longer.

CR
Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by pappyman
Buy A Deere.....even a used John Deere is better then most new tractors
I'll have to second this. We've got a Deere mower that's a late 70s early 80s model. Runs like new and never had any problems with it.

Also, if you have a Tractor Supply Company in your area, check them out. They carry Huskie, MTD, and Cub tractors. They have decent prices and a nice extended warranty.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:35 AM

Tom, the Cub Cadet 1000 series is a basic MTD machine and shares many of the parts with other MTD brands, White, Yardman, Yard Machine, and store brands like K-Mart. It's not until you move into the 2000 series that you find the old fashion Cub quality, with drive-shaft drivetrains, and machines that are built in the Cub Cadet factory. Look for things like deck thickness, grease zerks, rear axle diameter. Also examine front axle design; is it cast iron or stamped and formed steel. Look at the engines in the various brands. I would look to see if any in your price range have pressurized oil systems with oil filtration. A twin is so smooth when compared to a single cylinder. Don't make too big a deal on horsepower. For mowing your lawn, a 12 or 14hp machine is more than adequate. Make a rough spread sheet with feature comparisons and don't be too quick to decide. Make sure it can tow things, and one of our trips down there, I'll bring the sweeper for you; it yours. -The 'Ol Man-

I also recommend checking out www.gardenweb.com/forums You can get a wealth of info there.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 AM

If you're not too proud to own used, look for an older IH made cub cadet. They're darn near bullet proof, and those K series kohlers will run 30 years before they need a rebuild. I own 4 (1 finished, 3 waiting in line for refurbish), and love them dearly.

If you want do some research, try here: http://www.ihregistry.com/
Old 03-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Jeremy Cusick
If you're not too proud to own used, look for an older IH made cub cadet. They're darn near bullet proof................
Yep!
Old 03-21-2004, 11:29 AM

I was looking for a mower tractor mid last summer as the Cub AGS1623 decided to be a mosquito repeller rather than a mower. (I have never seen as much blue smoke) I ended up with a slightly used Cub Super Garden tractor with a 60 in deck. the deck is made of tread plate. The tractor is powered by a 3 cyl Kubota gasser and has power steering with independant rear brakes. All for 2500.00. Before I bought I checked all around to see what was available. and would suggest that a fun test drive did not lock you in to a mower when you shudda wodda coudda had something more durable.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:30 PM

I gotta agree with the IH Cub. I have one, and that thing is bulletproof.

I also have an older JD, and either one is good for me. I am not much into this new thing...my brother in law had a newer Cub, and it was junk. Mowed circles around it with my "old" JD.

Just another .02
Old 03-21-2004, 10:24 PM

Thanks all

Well I gotten some good info so far,I appreciate it. I am not buying anything yet just window shopping and I will most certainly check out factory dealerships. I checked out the gardenweb as well. Seems to be a lot of JD and Cub guys. Many topics on the 1000 series of the Cub.

Now too companies that myself and Commotoze had good luck with were a Lawnboy mower and a Toro snowthrower (little beast). The Lawnboy as far as I know is still running strong after 17 years and many lawns. Does anyone have any oppinions or experience about these 2 for tractors??

I am as firm beleiver in "you get what you pay for' and I like buying the best or at least near the top of the line.

Thanks again all!!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:05 AM

This should do everything you require.....

Quick Reply: Lawn tractor shopping... Husqv. vs. Cub