Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is this law in effect anywhere else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I've followed 10-15 lengths behind other vehicles and had to slow or swerve to miss the flying sheets of ice.
The ice doesn't always just slide off the back, at highway speeds sometimes it lifts (sometimes several feet in the air) like a frisbee and glides off in any direction.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im actually supporting this one, PA's had many people die from a slab of ice comeing through their windsheild, many severe injurys as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06dually
I can see the law for the windshield/glass.....but for snow buildup on the rest of the vehicle isnt fair. Just this morning we were in a winter storm/blizzard warning and when I left the house my truck was bone dry (heated garage), and after driving around for a few hours the whole rear of the truck had about two inches of snow built up and running boards were overflowing with snow and slush (also wheelwells were overtaken with snow/slush). I could see in the rearview mirror eveytime I hit a bump a chunk of something would fall/bounce off. Now when starting with a dry truck am I supposed to stop 15 times a day and clear my truck off??? In a blizzard?? On the side of the road?
This law came to NH about 8 years ago, a piece of ice fell off of the top of a truck and went through a car windshield, killing the person in the car.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I've followed 10-15 lengths behind other vehicles and had to slow or swerve to miss the flying sheets of ice.
The ice doesn't always just slide off the back, at highway speeds sometimes it lifts (sometimes several feet in the air) like a frisbee and glides off in any direction.
Yeah, that's pretty spectacular at highway speeds.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 AM

The one that really makes me mad is the lack of law that protects my windsheild from gravel trucks. Try to get one to pay for your broken windsield from rocks falling off the litle tray on the back of the Dumptruck.

Hub
That why they have the stickers on them that say stay back 50 feet or whatever and it also say NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question.... You are driving a truck that is 13 or more high. Snow is coming. You pull off and wait out a lot of it, get your sleep, Now you are out in the country, six inches of show and ice on the 53 foot trailer, what do you do? God put it on let God take it off? Sounds like a good business, pickup truck, rigged like a power truck with ice remover in hand, clean off the truck.

Point is, it will generate tickets and fines but it will never happen, the truck is going down the road.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Better have real good company health insurance !

It is a serious issue, but here in Sotuh Florida instead of snow I think it says something about illegal aliens ? Maybe I misread it ?

Down here it isn't only gravel, it is all kinds of road debris, all over the interstate - iron rods shooting through W/S and impaling a passenger, etc.

And what about the "road gators"....big chunks of tire retread just waiting for your new car to be used as a landing strip ?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CummnsPwer
That why they have the stickers on them that say stay back 50 feet or whatever and it also say NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS
So, by that line of reasoning, could I put a sticker on the back of mine that says "Warning! Driver too drunk to stand! Stay back 50'!" and I'd be legal then right? Not to mention the print is too small to read from 50' away usually. Just because they got a sticker that says that don't make it so.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CTDPower11
I once got pulled over for my truck being to muddy. It had just rained several inches and I was out checking oil wells for my father. Got done and was heading into town to have lunch with a friend. Officer pulls me over and TELLS me to go wash my vehicle due to the mud being hazardous to other drivers... Kinda weird...
A guy was out in the Adobes in the mud and got his jacked-up, fat-tired Toy covered to where he could only see out the front and the rear. He made a right turn at a stop light and didn't see the old fella that owned the bookstore crossing the street in the crosswalk. Put the old man out of business so I guess we all got to make choices and live with the consequences ..... Roger?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 PM

with that last storm that came through maryland left sheets of ice on the car and the cops were saying to call them if you saw someones car not completely cleaned off and they would pull them over and make them clean it off. a women in maryland was injuried pretty baddly when a piece of ice flew off another car and hit her window the glass had cut her face up pretty baddly. i had this happen to me as i was driving down I-95. i was so ****** i wanted to just run the guy off the road. i had to slam on my brakes to avoid the 5 foot by 4 foot sheet of ice. a few smaller pieces did hit my truck.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

I'm pretty darned sure that the local police as well as the CHP enforce the anti-ice off of your whatever thingy law.

Just the other day I saw....or I think I saw a few snowbirds getting written up between Desert Center and Whitewater for the illegal dumping of a frozen substance onto the roadway from a moving vehicle....

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM

This is actually a D.O.T. standard. It includes all aspects of vision from windows and all debris from vehicles. All states are required to enforce (address) it in a law one way or another. That's how they get federal highway funds. Some job sites have hose down areas for trucks hauling debris/dirt so they comply.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by IA_James
So, by that line of reasoning, could I put a sticker on the back of mine that says "Warning! Driver too drunk to stand! Stay back 50'!" and I'd be legal then right? Not to mention the print is too small to read from 50' away usually. Just because they got a sticker that says that don't make it so.
Yea but that takes the legal responsibility away from them if your toO stupid to realize you shouldnt be that close to them.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 AM

No it doesn't. All it does is convince idiots that they can't do anything about the damage. The smart ones can and will force the company to pay for damage, and there's nothing they can do about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 AM

This is just a clarification for people is Pennsylvania, thought I would share.
A new state law aimed at making driving in Pennsylvania safer during inclement weather went into effect January 29th. The law is an amendment to an existing state law that requires drivers to remove snow and ice from their vehicles before driving. However, motorists will now suffer severe penalties and fines, ranging from $200 to $1,000 per offense, if snow or ice they failed to clear from their vehicle results in injury or death to someone else. One more thing that came to mind, the best part of any law is it's adaptation to interpretation. Sorry guy's I don't usually use big words like that!.

Last edited by kurt eric; 03-04-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: An after thought,

Quick Reply: Is this law in effect anywhere else?