Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Last Day Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Last Day Hunting

Well this season anyway, I've got to admit I am not the best shot with a shotgun. I would rather have a high powered rifle or handgun instead of a twelve gauge with buckshot. But leave that one for later. I have shoulderd the Remington 1100 three times and shot eight rounds and brought home nothing but empty hulls and a desire to improve. It patterns well and it shoots point of aim. I just missed.
I had a great time in the fields and woods and made a pile of new friends. Tomorrow is the last day of Whitetail season in Virginia. In the end the dogs will be fed and treated for their cuts and scratches. The shotguns cleaned and cased. The trucks will be bathed and lubed and a whole new pack of lies will probably spawn. I will most likely, and deservingly, be the brunt of some light hearted humor to which I have no come back. Looking forward towards next year. I just hope VA Games and Inland Fisheries doesn't restrict hunting with hounds any more than they already have. Wish me luck. Only one day left.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping you get one.

Yall run dogs on deer? What kind?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM

Good luck to ya. A day of hunting; is a good day. Hopefully I'll be breakin' some clay birds.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bulabula
Good luck to ya. A day of hunting; is a good day. Hopefully I'll be breakin' some clay birds.
That is what I need to get back into. There is a Sporting Clay field on 460 near Zuni and Ivor in not far from Windsor, VA. I think I am going to check out joining them. Of course I will be needing new reloading gear and some more choke tubes.

It is time to shove off and chase Bambi.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

dang that is depressing, but why not come on up here to NJ, season goes till the middle of February, dam near no limit on does depending on where in the state you go, sry but the dogs stay home on this one, and no high pwr riffles
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
dang that is depressing, but why not come on up here to NJ, season goes till the middle of February, dam near no limit on does depending on where in the state you go, sry but the dogs stay home on this one, and no high pwr riffles
No high power guns east of the Blue Ridge Mts. here either.
I have hunted in NJ. back in 1969. I was between Millville and Hammonton. Thickest darn briars I have ever seen. I appreciate the invite but my significant other probably would not like being a Whitetail widow for another month. I quit hunting in 1986 after the loss of my best friend and brother-in-law. I got a small taste of it again last year and have been away too long. Now that I am retired, I plan on enjoying this again year after year. Now all I need to do is sharpen my shooting skills. Buckshot seems to have a mind of it's own after sixty yards. Maybe I just need to sharpwen up my range finding kills.