Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

John Deere 1600 Mower/Conditioner

Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Deere 1600 Mower/Conditioner

I'm hoping someone here can either answer a question for me, or point me to some good John Deere forums that may have some answers.

My neighbor and I both own John Deere 1600 Conditioners, and in both cases, the rear auxiliary pump has had a vibration problem. On his mower, it vibrated the pump completely off the mower, of course smashing the pump on the conditioner rollers.

On mine this evening, the vibration was apparently bad enough to break the mounting tabs off the pump, where it fell into the conditioning rolls, smashing the pump, twisting that 6 foot driveshaft into a pretzel and destroying most of the hydraulic hoses.

When I bought the haybine (110 acres is all its done since I've owned it. Bought it three days ago), I noticed the pump was new, but thought that was a good thing, versus a bad. The driveshaft appeared to be steady as the mower turned over, so I didn't worry much about it.

So anyway, I'm definitely not the only person to have had this problem. Anyone out there had the same thing happen to them? Or know of any Deere forums where I may be able to find out what the fix is for this blasted green machine?

Rod
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably not the only place out there, but I kept running across this forum on Google when I was researching a little lawn-mowing tractor. They seem to have forum areas for just about any brand and type you can think of.

http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
Old 08-04-2004, 03:00 PM

That sucks!

Sorry don't have an answer for you but I know there is nothing worse than dealing with busted hay equipment allready this late in the season!

We were having alot of haybine issues so finally replaced our old Owatonna unit with a rebuilt New Holland.

Beautiful machine. Love it!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:39 PM

This haying season has not exactly been stellar for us up here. A cool, dry spring set the hay back a few weeks, followed by 8 weeks of rain every blasted day. We're only through 1/2 of first cut, when we'd normally be thinking about second cut by now.

What we are left with is 3 and 4 ton an acre hay crops that no-one can cut, and refuse to dry down. We usually cut with old death trap 400 Versatiles, but swathes were taking 9 days to dry, so the haybine was purchased. Awful nice to be baling heavy stuff only 3 days after cutting, but not if the pumps gonna fall off every 100 acres.

I think we're gonna fab up a bracket and steady bearing on that shaft and see what that gets us. Probably a broken back window when the pump breaks again and the shaft spits the bearing at the tractor...

I really hate green paint. While I'm waiting for the repairs, I'm sandblast it, and paint it a pretty red. Maybe it won't break down as often then.

Rod
Old 08-04-2004, 11:01 PM

Maybe a few IH decals might help?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 AM

Well, it is a haybine, so maybe some New Holland decals would be better...

Rod
Old 08-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Compromise, IH paint, New Holland Decals
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Dang. good idea. Who says us cattlemen are dumb? I'll even slap the decals on with duct tape and baling wire. That'll keep things glued together

Rod
Old 08-05-2004, 04:36 PM

We have a 60 acre hay meadow, Gardo-Bluestem. We usually make our fist cut on July 4th weekend, but it was so wet we didnt get to cut until 2 weeks after that. We ended up making 165 round bales, and about 100 square bales for the horses. The second cut will probly be later this month, and should net 2000 square bales. That should fill the barn up.

We have a red New Holland hay bine. It does a fantastic job, and dries in 2.5 days with the help of a teather. The teather is probly our best investment next to the new Case MXM120.

So I know how you feel. If ya'll need to buy hay, there is a freakin surplus down here. My friend has a trucking company, and can arrange a few loads if need be.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
So I know how you feel. If ya'll need to buy hay, there is a freakin surplus down here. My friend has a trucking company, and can arrange a few loads if need be.
Ack, I don't even wanna think about buying hay right now. I've got scrungy old Shorthorns and Angus cows, so if I need to I'll slap a fence around it all and they can root through the snow all winter.

The yields are great this year, and with only 70 acres actually baled, I've got enough for 3 months of feeding. I've got another 70 acres laying down that will be enough for 8 full months, just waiting for it to dry now.

With any luck, I'll be the guy looking for someone to buy this year

Rod
Old 08-05-2004, 07:26 PM

HEY! BE NICE TO THOSE SHORTHORNS ROD!!!!!!!

Hang those black devils but make sure you look after those roans
Old 08-05-2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by tool
HEY! BE NICE TO THOSE SHORTHORNS ROD!!!!!!!
I love those roan devils. Everyone one of 'em are completely insane at calving season, but their calves are real crackerjacks at the end of the season. And they are no-maintenance critters. Make sure they got a little feed kicking around and leave 'em alone.

As for the Blacks, most of 'em are spoiled rotten baldies that raise hellish good calves, but I'm getting away from them. Too high maintenance for this cowboy, and our family has historically preferred Shorthorns anyway (70 yrs of Shorthorns around this place).

Well, as for the 1600, the culprit has been discovered. The neighbor threw a comealong on the frame and cranked it down. Vibration completely disappeared, so the problem is that they are both worn out pieces of green junk whose frames have spread from too many acres.

I got ahold of the place that sold me the haybine, and they're taking it back, lock, stock and barrel, no arguements. To apologize, they've offered me great deals on either a 94 MacDon or a brand spanky new one. I'm not sure how I'll deal with the new one though. There isn't even a leak on it or anything, and if I get mad at it and hit it with a wrench, the dent will prolly kill me

Rod
Old 08-06-2004, 01:01 PM

Quit the the trash talk fellas. RED means stop. GREEN means go. I had to pipe in here since everyone always makes fun of deeresBut as for the haybines, we've always had New Hollands and love em. Had a deere once but never liked it. I bought our first swingbine last winter and its great.
Hey Rod, the Macdon's aren't too bad of a machine either.

Hope it works out fer ya.
carty
Old 08-06-2004, 01:51 PM

Hey Rod! If you do get that new machine, jsut watch out for the paint. I think they add magnets in the paint on the new ones. They seem attracted to anything that can scratch/dent 'em. Dad bought a brand new New Holland 16' in 1999 -- THAT DAY in the driveway the hired hand scraped the entire side of the '95 1 ton Dodge with it.

*cheap shot* I bet this is why that special order 100psi ISSPRO hasn't made it yet.

brandon.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
*cheap shot* I bet this is why that special order 100psi ISSPRO hasn't made it yet.
That was a cheap shot, you rat. IssPro didn't have any, but I got a phone call yesterday telling me that it was on its way to you Now you didn't get a call from me because I was busily beatin' on that green stuff

Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: John Deere 1600 Mower/Conditioner