Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Job interview tomorrow......advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Job interview tomorrow......advice please!

O.k.,
I have a good job. A union job. Have paid insurance, company paid pension, and 401k with .83 on the dollar up to 6% match, but not mine until after 5 yrs. with the company. Sounds great and all, but our contract runs out in 2010. Probably will get renewed, but sure we will lose some benefits. Talk of the company selling since I have been there. Very free to do my own thing with very little, to no supervision. Schedule my own work, take care of the inventory ect. one man shop does it all for a fleet of about 80 degrading vehicles . High mileage one ton vans, 20 yr old IH semis and straight trucks, and a few late model vans and pickups. Sounds great right?

The bad. I have almost no challenges daily other than keeping this junk on the road and the company will not spend much, if any on repairs. We are on a 6 month maintenance schedule for oil changes. Some end up being 12k miles. No wonder they break down huh? Changing oil and replacing brakes and tires gets old. I worked at a dealer for 6 yrs and was up on the latest. I am now falling behind , but can't make this kind of money at a dealer or independant repair shop. I could take a cut in pay, but hate to. When I took my current job, my wife and I made a vow to not raise any of our bills, and we haven't. I have an interview tomorrow with an environmental company for a position that, from what it sounds like to me, is a brand new position with the company. Light and Heavy Vehicle emission testing for fleets and municipalities. Will have company vehicle and work is on site ( mobile). Pay should be comparable, with a chance for overtime. The benefits are not paid in full, but are very reasonable. The company match is not as high on the 401k, but I don't have to be vested. I know I am going to the interview, but what else should I be asking them, and myself? Thanks for listening and any replies are appreciated. It helps just typing all of this down for myself!

Andy
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not for like green peace or PETA is it?

brett
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

No way! This company that does emissions testing and safety inspections . They also manufacture emission testing equipment. The actually are global, and have run many state emission testing sites. This position is not related to state stuff though.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Sounds like the new job might be a little better as far as making you happy.
Just make sure to weigh what you have now.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My wife and I always make a pros and cons list. I feel your pain I'm going to an interview on the 2nd, less money but I will be home Instead of traveling with my family. I took a Job interview class in High School one of the main things they stressed to us was to ask the possible employer as many questions as they ask you. Being unsure about the circumstances I dont have many suggestions for questions that should be asked. How strict will they be with the Company ride??? How much independance will you have??? Will the new salary be enough to make up for the extra you will have to pay for your benifits??? I know what its like to feel like your stuck in a dead end job. Especially when you have more potential than you are being given credit for. How old are you.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

32 yrs old, and absolutely no room to advance in my current job without changing career paths. I have an associates degree in automotive service, and have thought about going back to school. That is a possibilty, but I'm a car (truck) nut thru and thru! The job posting also states that this position could be promoted to Safety and Training Instructor. Don't know any timeframes though. Thinking that this could help me stay current with technology as well.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GO for it I'm 30 and still have no idea what I will be doing when I retire. If theres no room for advancement where you are you have to ask your self do I want to be doing this in 20 years? Sounds like probably not!! It sounds like if you dont go now you will begin to resent the job you have now and the missed opportunity. What have you got to loose if it doesnt work out you are young enough to find something else that you can enjoy. If you stay you will only get older and become less marketable.

Get a job you love to do and you will never work another day!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbarbee1

Get a job you love to do and you will never work another day!!!!!!!!!

AHMEN GREAT ADVICE
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Well, I am defiantely looking forward to the interview now. Any other questions you would ask besides the obvious room for advancement, pay, bennies, ect.?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 PM

How much longer do you have to go before you can collect on the company matching part of your 401K...

If it is not to long I would consider staying if it is a substantial amount .. no sense throwing away money...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Almost 3 more years. I have built up a sizeable amount too. Almost 5K. But it's money I never see, and won't look to use for over 30 yrs. I hate to loose it, but also hate to think about being without a job if the company sells. None of the competing companies and companies that have inquired about purchasing our company have their own fleet service so they would only honor my position till the end of our contract, which is about 5 months shy of me being vested!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Bear in mind I will still be able to keep MY portion of the 401K, just lose their money. I also don't plan on having any sort of a company pension when I retire either. The company has already taken it away from every other employee that they can - (non-exempt and management), and I foresee it happening to the union employees as well in the next 30 yrs. Quite frankly, sooner probably more than later!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 PM

Going to work for a company that does emissions testing ???
You're gonna have to hide that "smoke switch".
Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Do google and web research on the company, then make a list of interesting things about the company, and ask questions about that. Don't point all your questions on "how well are you going to take care of me". It shows selfishness. Ask why the new position? What was done in the past? What do they expect out of you? What, in the interviewers mind makes a person a succesful candidate and successful in this position? Not only does it make them feel you have an interest in the job, an interest in the company, but the answers can be your very high level guidelines at being succesful should you be selected for the position.

BTW - you currently aren't happy, try your hardest for this position if you feel it will make you happy. Money isn't everything, happiness is more important, and looking forward to getting up and going to work is worth more than money.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM

You obviously don't like your present job. Change jobs before it bleeds into your family and personal life. We spend too much time at work to dread going there and generally not liking it. Go for it, look forward to it, be positive and good luck.

Quick Reply: Job interview tomorrow......advice please!