Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

It's winter - everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
It's winter - everywhere

Just found this. Never seen a winter like this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-snow-ice.html
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so much for global warming.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
so much for global warming.
Your sarcasm is wasted. Don't you believe Al Gore who now says that global warming is the cause of all this mess? Maybe you understand his reasoning, but I sure don't!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Would someone post the text? Can't read it at work.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Would someone post the text? Can't read it at work.
At first glance it looks like a graphic from a Discovery Channel programme about a distant ice age. But this astonishing picture shows the world as it is today - with half the Northern Hemisphere covered with snow and ice.
The image was released by the National Oceanic And Atmospheric Association (NOAA) on the day half of North America was in the grip of a severe winter storm.
The map was created using multiple satellites from government agencies and the US Air Force.
That Antarctica, the Arctic, Greenland and the frozen wastes of Siberia are covered in white comes as no surprise. But it is the extent to which the line dips down over the Northern Hemisphere that is so remarkable about the image.

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  50.6 KB

The shroud of white stretches down from Alaska and sweeps through the Midwest and along to the Eastern seaboard. The bitter cold has reached as far as Texas and northern Mexico where in Ciudad Juarez temperatures today were expected to dip to minus 15C.
In the U.S. tens of millions of people chose to stay at home rather than venture out. In Chicago, 20in of snow fell leading to authorities closing schools for the first time in 12 years. The newspaper for Tulsa, Okalahoma, was unable to publish its print edition for the first time in more than a century.

More...
'It's too early to say we dodged any bullets': Queensland premier reveals no fatalities so far as Cyclone Yasi weakens
Groundhog Phil predicts an early spring... but try telling that to Chicago, Texas and all the states hit by terrifying snow storms
'Like a bomb scene': Buildings crushed by ice and snow as half of America is blanketed by killer storm... and now comes the cold
This particular storm is the result from two clashing air masses which, if not unprecedented, is extraordinarily rare for its size and ferocious strength.
'A storm that produces a swath of 20in snow is really something we'd see once every 50 years - maybe,' said a U.S. National Weather Service meteorologist.
Louis Uccellini, director of the government's National Centers for Environmental Prediction, said the U.S. storm also drew strength from the La Nina condition currently affecting the tropical Pacific Ocean.
La Nina is a periodic cooling of the surface temperatures of the tropical Pacific Ocean, the opposite of the better-known El Nino warming. Both can have significant impacts on weather around the world by changing the movement of winds and high and low pressure systems.

The NOAA image shows how the weather is affecting Scotland and begins in earnest from southern Germany, through Italy and down into Greece, Turkey and Iran. Northern areas of India and China are also affected.
The startling image was released on the same day Al Gore stepped up to defend his claim that global warming causes the bitterly cold weather. Thirty states in America are affected by a two-day blizzard.
Writing in his blog Al's Journal, he said: 'As it turns out, the scientific community has been addressing this particular question for some time now and they say that increased heavy snowfalls are completely consistent with what they have been predicting as a consequence of man-made global warming.'
His response came after Fox News pundit Bill O'Reilly challenged the former Vice President to give his thoughts on 'why southern New York has turned into the tundra'. Generally, the view put forward on global warming is that it would lead to expanding deserts and rising temperatures.
Mother Nature's wrath is not confined to the top half of the world, of course.
Cyclone Yasi, with a destructive core of more than 20 miles wide, smashed into Queensland in north east Australian overnight with 186mph winds. Authorities are calling it the worst storm to hit the country for generations.

There were a couple of other pictures but I didnt want to kill the server.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Thanks, buddy. I can't see the pics anyhow.

I think it's just the natural cycle of the earth. Or, God is mad.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Here is a pdf...

Send me a text or PM if you still have probs... I can email it to you.

Woops, Eric beat me to it. Delete the PDF if you like Mark... My bad.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

No sweat, buddy. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Actually, I'm glad you did it, because the pictures are awesome.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Your sarcasm is wasted. Don't you believe Al Gore who now says that global warming is the cause of all this mess? Maybe you understand his reasoning, but I sure don't!

My sarcasm was directed at Gore, and I understand as much as you do.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM
DTR Mom

does this mean that polar bears can now come and give hugs to people that buy hybrids cars?

hey i saw it on tv, it must be true. Hope the bears start with Al Gore...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of you older ones will remember this….. Back in the 70s I was on the back of truck spreading sand on the roads because of all the snow and ice, and all of the leading scientists (most likely the same ones as now) were saying that the earth was entering a weather pattern that would bring about the next ice age and that we would have to adapt the way we grow food and would have to resort to living in underground houses

The next thing I know all these same brilliant minds are screaming about global warming.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I love winter. That means I can't do anything until spring, then it's too muddy. Summer is too short to start anything and fall the weather is too unpredictable. Then it's winter again.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow....

I am totally blown away. Ice and snow in the winter season, real mind-bender.

We haven't had a real winter here since the 80's for sure. Back in the 70's, it got cold. I'm sure the alaskan folks will agree on that. It just plain got ugly cold right around the beginning of january, and stayed there til early - mid march. No breaks, no "chinooks" non of that modern day pansy stuff. It got cold enough that when it warmed up to -30, it felt like t-shirt weather.

Now we whine about a week or two of -40.

Yeah, that line is pretty low, be interesting to see how things progress.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
It was -36° in Anchorage back in 1948. Hasn't been that cold sense. I guess it is getting warmer.

Quick Reply: It's winter - everywhere