Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

It's Miller Time.. chaikwa (caution pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
It's about time you showed up..You been out chuckin' wood?
Yep. Apparently that's my life now. I was out talking to landowners today. I guess once word gets out that you have, 1) an outdoor wood boiler, 2) a few chainsaws and 3) logging experience, people think you want to log their property just for the firewood. And I DO, but I'm not going to search for a buyer for the merchantable logs or mitigate the resulting brush beyond piling it and I certainly ain't gonna stump it all for them either!

Originally Posted by Bark
I don't ever want to see you team up with chaikwa. You two would wind up building something that the govt would pay you to not build.
Hmmm... that's not a bad idea actually!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
CRM, that is really a great looking job. Congratulations. You can be very proud. Thanks for sharing that with us. How many configurations did you try on paper before building it?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Can of worms for sure! We had a state inspector throw a fit last summer because our trailer mounted generator wasn't grounded with a 10' grounding rod. I was polite at the time because I didn't know the specifics of the topic, but I asked the TV crew with their live truck what they did. Their generator is 10 times the size of ours, 440 volts and 3 phase. The ops manager who runs everything at the station and in the field explained how the National Electric Code actually prohibits the use of grounding rods on portable generators that are isolated from the ground, and it actually CREATES a hazard to do that. Then the next day he faxed the whole code to me so I'd have it for Mr State Inspector at the next goat rodeo. I'll say 'the issue has been resolved' and leave it at that.

Absolutely fantastic set-up tho. I was going to build a skid before I got the International, and I still may at some point, but I'm glad I didn't because no matter how well mine may have turned out, I'd be unhappy with it now!
There in lies the itch. When he clamps his ground clamp to the work piece, he is no longer isolated from ground IF he is welding on a grounded work piece.
I've also met inspectors that like to see a dedicated ground strap between generators, frames, and other equipment. Bolting is usually a good ground, but if there is paint between the surfaces, your ground may not be the best possible. Think of it along the lines of grounding your trailer to the truck thru the ball. It works kinda, but having a dedicated ground wire is best.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Now that's nice work!!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
That is marvelous!
Good work.
I don't ever want to see you team up with chaikwa.
You two would wind up building something that the govt would pay you to not build.
And if Shorts and Heidi got involved it would result in something that would kill you if you looked at it.

Very nice work
All I can can say to that is game on and we will be seeking input from the forum on it as well

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
There in lies the itch. When he clamps his ground clamp to the work piece, he is no longer isolated from ground IF he is welding on a grounded work piece.
I've also met inspectors that like to see a dedicated ground strap between generators, frames, and other equipment. Bolting is usually a good ground, but if there is paint between the surfaces, your ground may not be the best possible. Think of it along the lines of grounding your trailer to the truck thru the ball. It works kinda, but having a dedicated ground wire is best.
For critical grounds (or bonds) I use the external star type locking washers in conjunction with this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOA...026/202276208#

I also use the NOALOX in the contacts on the welding reels. With the machine maxed out at 250 amps, you can spool out the leads with no arcing and / or heat build up at the contacts. The shop welder reels is 15 yrs + and still work fine.

Here is what Miller put in the manual on grounding:

! Always ground generator frame to
vehicle frame to prevent electric
shock and static electricity hazards.

! Also see AWS Safety & Health Fact
Sheet No. 29, Grounding of Portable
And Vehicle Mounted Welding Generators.

! Bed liners, shipping skids, and
some running gear insulate the
welding generator from the vehicle
frame. Always connect a ground
wire from the generator equipment
grounding terminal to bare metal on
the vehicle frame as shown.

! If unit does not have GFCI receptacles,
use GFCI-protected extension
cord.

1 Equipment Grounding Terminal (On
Front Panel)
2 Grounding Cable (Not Supplied)
3 Metal Vehicle Frame
Connect cable from equipment ground
terminal to metal vehicle frame. Use #8
AWG or larger insulated copper wire.
 Electrically bond generator frame to vehicle
frame by metal-to-metal contact.

The same would apply to the bed to truck frame connection.

Here is the link to AWS Safety & Health Fact
Sheet No. 29:

http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-29.pdf

excerpt from the bottom of the page:

CONDITIONS WHERE GROUNDING THE
GENERATOR FRAME TO A METAL
WATER PIPE OR GROUND ROD IS NOT
REQUIRED BY THE NEC:

1. The welding generator has auxiliary
power output (115 volts AC or 230 volts
AC) and the generator receptacles have a
ground pin outlet available for the
equipment that plugs into the receptacle,
AND

2. The generator is portable or mounted on
a truck or trailer,
AND

3. The auxiliary power is used by cord-and-
plug-connection means through receptacles
mounted on the generator,
AND

4. The generator is mounted on a vehicle
and the generator frame is bonded to the
vehicle frame

Some of the locations I work on randomly driving a ground rod in with buried high voltage electrical lines and hi pressure gas lines poses a significantly greater risk than running the machine without one.

It all boils down the the companies safety policy in conjunction with how the local and or state inspector "interprets" the various laws.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is some darned good work!

the bed was sweet, now the accessories are great.. cant wait to see whats next..
Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang brother, you got your crap together on that one!!!! Great workmanship for sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys & gals..

The next "Major Project" is going to be a 46' - 48' triple axle (Dexter's Airflex system) toy hauler to pull behind that setup. I will probably get started on it this spring when I can open the shop doors to let the smoke out..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I consider myself a backyard fabricator with some decent welding skills but oh man....... That is a well done skid with great ideas and placement!!!!!