Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Issues Charging AC system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues Charging AC system

I replaced the compressor, accumulator/drier, and expansion valve as well as flushing the evaporator and condenser cores.
The problem is it will not take a charge. at least not through the low pressure side. Yes I did open the high pressure side but only after i saw it wasn't accepting refrigerant through the low side and only with the engine off. High side was still under a vacuum when I opened the valve. Anyway after pressuring up the high side I closed the valve, fired the car back up and it still would not take any more refrigerant. Acts like it's not even getting past the schrader valve. Any ideas?
Edit:
ok there is some pressure past the schrader. I depressed the schrader on the low pressure side and it bled pressure for quit a while.

Last edited by capt.Ron; 07-13-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Correction on schrader
Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
I replaced the compressor, accumulator/drier, and expansion valve as well as flushing the evaporator and condenser cores.
The problem is it will not take a charge. at least not through the low pressure side. Yes I did open the high pressure side but only after i saw it wasn't accepting refrigerant through the low side and only with the engine off. High side was still under a vacuum when I opened the valve. Anyway after pressuring up the high side I closed the valve, fired the car back up and it still would not take any more refrigerant. Acts like it's not even getting past the schrader valve. Any ideas?
Edit:
ok there is some pressure past the schrader. I depressed the schrader on the low pressure side and it bled pressure for quit a while.
Refrigerant hose not depressing the schrader valve. Some hose ends don't have the valve actuator in them.

Also, if the system you're charging is as warm or warmer than the container of refrigerant you're charging from, it won't take any (or much) except in the low side with the compressor running.

Did you evacuate the system before you tried to charge it?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Refrigerant hose not depressing the schrader valve. Some hose ends don't have the valve actuator in them.

Also, if the system you're charging is as warm or warmer than the container of refrigerant you're charging from, it won't take any (or much) except in the low side with the compressor running.

Did you evacuate the system before you tried to charge it?
Yep, Vacuumed it down to -3 let it set overnight. next day was still -3.
Then tried to charge. My hoses do have actuators. I know the high side is doing it's job cause it let refrigerant go in that side and pulled down the system from that side. The low side went to a full -3 when I turned on the pump. It has a twist **** that turns in the actuator. I turned it back and forth several times. Could still be the culprit I guess.
Also set the 134 can in a pitcher of hot water to help push it into the systems.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Refrigerant hose not depressing the schrader valve.
That was it!!!
Changed out the valve/connector and it pumped right in!!
Getting 37 degrees coming out of the vent now!!!