Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

IP Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IP Telephony

OK...I need to vent. I work for a county government and we are looking at a VoIP solution to replace our rock solid Nortel PBX. Currently we are under contract with Verizon for service at the tune of $8000 per month.
The 2 solutions that we have looked at are Shoretel and Cisco. From what I have seen the Shoretel is the best option when it comes to monitoring,configuration,hot swap hardware etc. And the things that we are wanting they come with the Shoretel. Now on to Cisco junk... To get it to do something you buy another box..oh you want it to do this buy another box.
Even after suppling all the information about how bad Cisco is..my director still does not listen..
The last year or so we(family) have kicked around the idea of opening a muscle car restoration and mod shop...maybe things are working around for us to do that...I have been doing things like that for 20 years off and on so maybe its time to put it to use...

Rick
Old 04-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Maybe he owns some Cisco stock.

Good luck on the new venture.

Edwin
Old 04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Every business complains about the price of their phone bill..............
But they never stop to see how much of their business is accomplished and how many dollars of their income is produced across those little copper pairs.

A customer of mine (a LARGE insurance company) many years ago was woofing about the thousands of dollars they pay a year in phone bills.
I suggested they disconnect all their lines and start mailing letters instead.
I told him it should only take 3 or 4 days for that letter to reach the customer, then 3-4 days to get an answer back.
Then asked how that would effect his business VS picking up the phone, punching a few numbers and getting the customer on the line (and the answer) in a matter of seconds.
He never complained about the bill again (to me).

As for VOIP. It might be the wave of the future (this week)
Just wait until the Govt' starts taxing VOIP same way they tax the local phone company.
The difference in price then will be peanuts.

PS: several organizations locally that jumped on the VOIP bandwagon have gone back to CO trunk lines.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VOIP is great for the home, but I'd never use it as a business system. QoS terms are far superior for copper when it comes to business lines.