Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

"Improper Exhaust"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry "Improper Exhaust"

Get this, tonight I was comming home and I turned the corner into the neighborhood and a man is in the street pointing and yellin at me telling me to stop. Once I saw the house, I knew who it was. This guy is a well know jerk. Everyone says that he would have no trouble arresting his mom if she did something wrong. Anyways, I was about 8 inches from putting diamond plate ranchhand on his hip, so I swerve and turn around to see who it was. I roll my window down and he says he is tired of hearin my d**n diesel truck with that d**n pipe (stack) flyin through here at 10 o'clock at night, wasking everyone up and if he catches me again he's going to write me up for improper exhaust . Then he takes off and goes inside his house. This is in Kentucky. I dont know about Kentucky, but in Illinois (correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't a turbocharger considered a type of muffler? What should I do about this whole thing (besides the obvious)? Im still madder than heck! I say I get my buddies who all run straight piped Cummins to sit in front of his house at midnight and put em to the floor for a while, then take off . But that means I'd end up getting a ticket.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My advice....slow down and be easy on the throttle when you drive through someone's neighborhood at night. It's the polite thing to do.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i concur
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 PM

Ya got to give the old fart credit for tellin it to your face instead of just callin the cops. I am not siding with him or you here, just trying to see both sides. Who knows what problems this guy is facing and you put him over the edge. Maybe if you could give him a ride in your rig he would want one too.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DustyRock
Ya got to give the old fart credit for tellin it to your face instead of just callin the cops.
From what I gather, he IS the cops.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by DustyRock
Ya got to give the old fart credit for tellin it to your face instead of just callin the cops. I am not siding with him or you here, just trying to see both sides. Who knows what problems this guy is facing and you put him over the edge. Maybe if you could give him a ride in your rig he would want one too.
Much as I hate bitchy people, I agree with DustyRock. Maybe he just had a bad day.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:10 AM

Tempting as it is to screw with a cop that needs an attitude adjustment, short of actually giving him one, or actively screwing with him, (and these are both no win situations if he knows you or your truck) the best thing to do here is to tone it down some. Especially in a small town, the cop's word is what passes for law there. I know it's no fun, but I think you're just going to have to suck it up and go on. Although, if you were to PM me, I've got a few things that work and are REALLY tough to prove.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they pull the DB meter or say it is too loud, you will fix it. I didn't get pulled for noise, I got pulled for illegal exhaust. Went to court, the judge just said you will get stopped again and gave me a $30 fine. My son got the same ticket from the same cop in the same week in a different town.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...php/photo/3800
Old 04-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I have run aftermarket exhausts on both my Harleys for quite a while.
I live in a neighborhood of mostly older folks, and leave for work at 0600.
The trick to it is light application of throttle until out on the main road.

You won't impress the neighbors by ticking them off with a Full-Boogie straight pipe revelry each morning.

You have two choices, keep up what you're doing now, or try to appease the masses.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around here, the noise ordinances aren't in effect until 11:00. Not that that does any good if he writes you for an exhaust-related offense. There's a car (Eagle Summit) across the street from us with an exhaust leak so bad that it's basically equivalent to "no muffler" that's louder than my truck that takes off every night at 10:30. Louder than heck, but nothing I can really do about it.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Banned

Same here. I've talked to several cops about this (my old neighbors complained to cause my truck was louder than their mercedes ) and they all said they don't start enforcing noise violations until at least 10. If you don't want to deal with him, just idle by his house when you come in.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

I live in a neighborhood full of retired people and people w/ younger kids...

I coast/idle down the street to my house...

in TX a turbo is considered a muffler and stacks are perfectly legal...

BUT, that doesn't mean you're not breaking a noise ordinance... and on my 12v, my lack of a cat converter ain't exactly legal
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats what Ive been trying to do is come through quiet. His house is on the corner and there is a hill when you turn, so its hard to idle through the area, but I can take it a little more easy on it. He is a cop here in town. Everyone knows him as being quite the no-mercy jerk to EVERYONE, not just to some. They say he would arrest his parents if he had to without an sympathy... I get frustrated with the situation because I know mine is loud, and I should take it easy on it, but if they are going to enforce a rule such as that for me in my neigherborhood, then they need to enfore all the rules in the neighborhood. Everyday there are countless kids riding 4 wheelers, motor scooters, go carts, everything in the neighborhood, on the streets. It is a large subdivision thousand+ homes. Mr. Pro Cop needs to sit in his cruiser and bust them for that hazard. Its not that I hate seeing them drive them, its that it is dangerous because people fly through there and scooters and things cant go as fast as cars, and none get over to let you pass in a vehicle. Another thing is people walking on the street NEXT TO THE SIDEWALK! What the heck is the deal there? The sidewalk is there for people just like YOU to WALK on! Not to look at, its to make you safer and to NOT BE IN THE STREET. I can go on and on with ignorant things people do around here....
Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 AM

im glad I live in the country...

only problems I have is stray cats digging inthe wifes flower bed, and leaving footprints on my hood....but I have something for them.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

you can try to be more quiet... if that fails, start calling him at all hours with complaints about the rest of the neighborhood

Quick Reply: "Improper Exhaust"