Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm an idiot, please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In our area you are not allowed to "bury" a junction box inside of a closed wall. They all have to be accessible somehow. It might not matter to you, but you might want to check your local electrical codes.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

the "accessible junction box" is in the NEC. National code. any connection must be made in a box, all boxes must be accessable..
blind cover or plug, personal choice. I prefer to add another plug
Old 01-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
... any connection must be made in a box, all boxes must be accessable.. blind cover or plug, personal choice. I prefer to add another plug
That's what I will do. I can use wire nuts if I don't add plugs, as long as they're in the box, correct?

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

and the box must be readily accessable (blind cover plate (or screw with the next owners and put a plug, switch, or cable outlet cover on it)
Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cgraham
You run every wire in your house through metal conduit? That's why they make those metal plates that attach to the studs to protect the wires from screws and nails. A lot easier (and cheaper) than running 1000' of Romex through conduit.
The best thing to do is install a junction box and put a cover plate on it. That way you are definitely up to code.
I would say the idiot was the guy that didn't put nailgaurds on, and the inspector. Not the guy that makes the morning coffee

Can't believe no one else brought that up. IRC calls for them.

How long were the screws?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 AM

I think i would of pulled the trim and removed the paneling instead of chopping a hole in the wall. Then replaced the wire that was damaged.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2 busy
I think i would of pulled the trim and removed the paneling instead of chopping a hole in the wall. Then replaced the wire that was damaged.
Hey, I didn't 'CHOP' a hole in the wall... I used a chainsaw! Makes a neater hole that way.

chaikwa.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am an electrician and we don't use Romex around here. All line voltage wiring is pulled thru conduit. I guess that's why they say bending pipe is an artform around here... Yes it's more expensive, more time consuming, but absolutely worth it. Guess I'm old school...
Another thing.... instead of putting up nail guards (whatever they are), the whole thing IS guarded by just about anything being in a metal conduit. AND if you do happen to damage a wire somehow, you don't have to knock a hole in the wall and add a junction box, you just repull the wire from one junction box to another that are ALREADY PIPED from the original install. Much easier and makes modifying and adding circuits easier in the future. Had to vent, I hate Romex... and my house is all 12guage THHN stranded wire (mostly) some 14 and some 10guage....
Old 01-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
I am an electrician and we don't use Romex around here. All line voltage wiring is pulled thru conduit.
Holy cow! That must make house renovations completely unaffordable...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Well, it's all fixed. Did it like most of you suggested and installed two junction boxes with blank access covers. Sorry Trik, I didn't use conduit tho. Didn't need/want to install receptacles either because there are 3 double duplex plugs just below where I made my screw-up on a seperate circuit. Two more duplex plugs no more than 3 inches above them woulda made me look like a REAL redneck!

Thanks for all the useful/helpful replies everyone. They're much appreciated, AS ALWAYS!

chaikwa.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Now that you have admitted to being an idiot, you can begin the 12 step program to cure yourself of idioism (new word).

You will find that it is quite helpful as I am on step 9 myself.......or was it step 7?....No thats not right..I failed step 6 twice and had to redo steps 3-5 before moving back to step 6.

Wait doing step 5 twice should equal a 10 and thus move me right past steps 7,8 and 9. Or is that allowed?.....if that were the case doing step 6 twice should = step 12 and thus I will have graduated...

If I do step 9 twice it will equal 18...Do I get a refund on the overage? Oh shoot now I am REALLY mixed up
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Y'know .... reading this thread may explain why I have two outlets on one wall about 4 feet apart with one about 4 inches lower than the other one .... maybe the previous owner "tapped" a line and had to make an outlet repair. We always thought he was just a Dee Dee Dee ....

A while back, a Seabee buddy of mine (a Chief Builder) drilled into his living room wall to hang a picture. Found the exact location of the 220vac supply for the outlets !! He had just finished having the "yes dear, of course I know what I'm doing ... I do this for a living I'll have you know !!" speech with his fiance.

Then the lights went out ... and stayed out until the german electrician showed up the following morning .

PISTOL
Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jfpointer
Holy cow! That must make house renovations completely unaffordable...
Not really, but I'm sure it's more expensive up here in the big city. Union electricians make around $35 an hour and a contractor would bid a job at close to $100 an hour.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Not really, but I'm sure it's more expensive up here in the big city. Union electricians make around $35 an hour and a contractor would bid a job at close to $100 an hour.
I was thinking collateral damage as well. If a fellow had to rip out a bunch of plaster walls to run conduit in an older house, the restoration in addition to the electrical work would get expensive pretty quickly.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Anything around here that has plaster walls has some pretty old electric that would need total replacement anyway. My original house was built in 1883 and a few after that were late 1890's to early 1900's. When you see the cloth covered wires that crumble as soon as you touch them, you know it's time for a gut-rehab. Most of those old houses had pipe or a combination of pipe and flexible conduit (metallic greenfield or BX) already buried in the walls. We have never had romex here. Honestly I think I touched romex one time in a newer suburban home.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot, please help me.