Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

HP / Compaq notebook warranty experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP / Compaq notebook warranty experience

I bought a refurbed NC8230 notebook from HP w/ the 3 year accidental damage warranty. It didn't have wireless integrated so I bought a mini PCI from them as well. So, I get the laptop and install the wireless card and it won't boot, it won't even POST. I've had it 1 day and I have to send it back. So I call tech support (it was a friday), they say they'll send me a box to ship it in. Monday the box shows up. Tuesday I ship the laptop back - it comes w/ an overnight label for me to affix. Drop it off @ Fed ex on Tuesday, thought I wouldn't see it till next Tuesday. Sitting here @ work (Thursday), working (ha!), and I hear I have a delivery. My laptop is back, fixed. How nice is that? 2 day turn around for a fixed laptop. I'm so impressed, i had to post about it.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
That's nice!

Wish they were anywhere near like that with theirr DLT drives and changers over here. I usually do sleep very bad if I can't backup...

AlpineRAM
Old 09-29-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HP may have shipped the wrong model wireless card for the nc8200. There's a BIOS lock to prevent the unit from booting up with a unapproved wireless card.

MikeyB
Old 09-29-2005, 06:25 PM

that would be a strong possibility. It was a 'system halt', nothing other than that was said.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a refurbed Compaq laptop, at that time I had dial up internet.
The modem didn't work right out of the box,called tech support after an hour or so of trying different things they said it had to be shipped back. Same as you they sent me a box with pre paid freight, got it back and it wasn't fixed!
Another few calls to tech support, had to send it back again, they actually fixed it that time. I haven't had any more problems with it.
I switched to cable internet and it works great on that.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 PM

That quick then its probably not your laptop. Most places ship you out another refurb when they recieve it and swap harddrives if they are nice. Most dont even do that. This really blows if you bought a NEW machine. Dell is horrible for this. Every warranty item i have gotten from them (computer repair shop) has been in a box thats labeled refurbished.!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
That quick then its probably not your laptop. Most places ship you out another refurb when they recieve it and swap harddrives if they are nice. Most dont even do that. This really blows if you bought a NEW machine. Dell is horrible for this. Every warranty item i have gotten from them (computer repair shop) has been in a box thats labeled refurbished.!
Nope, I deal with HP on a daily basis and they fix YOUR computer in a day, they don't ship back a hot swap, the only deal when EVER shipping a computer back to the company is LEAVE YOUR HARD DRIVE OUT OF THE COMPUTER!!!! The first thing they do is reimage the computer to see if it's a software issue vs hardware. It's standard practice with HP/Compaq Dell, IBM. I support almost 1000 people in our company and have had great luck with HP/Compaq, Dell used to be good but not so much now. I'd hate for anyone to have anything Gateway.