Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to get rid of pop-ups??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get rid of pop-ups??

Pop-ups and auto start alien programs are taking over my CPU. I have 44 proccess going on all the time.

Ive got Spy bot and Adware 6.0. They dont seem to be helping much. I also have the Google tool bar that blocks, worked great when i first got it but now it lets some through. Any help is appreciated. TIA -Jake
Old 07-21-2004, 08:47 PM

I have this one-

http://www.panicware.com/product_psp...=PSFREEEDITION It works OK, but doesn't get them all.

I pretty much quit using Internet Explorer. I am using the (FREE) Mozilla Firefox browser now. Virtually NO pop-ups at all. http://www.texturizer.net/firefox/download.html
Old 07-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My home PC has 32 process running all the time and I can't figure out what they are or what they're supposed to be doing. That computer is getting slower and slower every day. Don't know what to do about it.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Google has a pop-up blocker that has worked very well for me.
http://toolbar.google.com/

Rich
Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 AM

There's a few malware and spyware programs that are VERY hard to stop.

The google toolbar's pop-up stopper works pretty well... toolbar.google.com

if there's one that spybot finds repeatedly, search google on its name, and you'll find fixes.

having many processes running isn't necessarily a bad thing... Windows is very complex.. I've got 52 processes running right now with around 11 programs open.

My fiancee's laptop has pop-ups bad.. I'm gonna start over and install XP from scratch.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are some pop-ups that will install spy-ware on your machine. This spy-ware will continuosly pop up ads on your PC.
Once infected by these kinds of spy ware, Google may not stop them becauase the pop-ups are running as a service on your PC. Google may not recognize them as a true pop-up and do nothing to stop them.
You will need to download either SpyBot or AdaWare.
Update them frequently and run them frequently.

Rich
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM

spybot and the google toolbar have virtulally stopped all pop-ups for me
Old 07-22-2004, 11:14 AM

I was having a big problem with crap getting on my computer until I dumped Norton and went with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. It's a much better program, IMHO, and the support is ten times better than Norton.

I'm also running Firefox and like it. The only problem I've been having is it will randomly not load sites, but will normally work if I go back to it a few minutes later.

Go to http://www.pestscan.com and use their free scan tool. It will tell you what kind of spyware, adware, viruses, etc. are on your computer and give instructions to manually delete them. I did this before switching to ZA and Firefox and it got rid of a lot of the problems, but it took a long time.

To find out what the processes running on your computer are, and whether they're necessary or not, go to http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm . I only have 14 processes running, and all are necessary.

Good luck - this stuff is really frustrating....
Old 07-22-2004, 12:01 PM

http://www2.b3ta.com/realistic-internet-simulator/

Go here and play.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Update

If you are using Adaware or spyware make sure that you regularly update the definition files. This will help in catching the new stuff. Kinda like Norton or Mcafee.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 PM

I use ad-aware and the free zone alarm firewall, pretty much stopped all my pop-ups.... spy bot sucks, they never have any updates available. This weekend I am going to set up my system to a dual boot and use linux and mozilla for all my net surfing,
Old 07-22-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run Netscape and IE both and at the same time. A very few sites won't run well with Netscape and Netscape is much faster. You can block pop ups in Netscape itself and I have never gotten one when using this browser. As for IE, Netscape has a tool bar for IE that has a pop up blocker that works great. You can find it here.

Netscape tool bar for IE

If you're using Netscape here are the instructions for blocking popups.

Netscape pop up blocker
Old 07-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Norton Intenet Security Pro with an ad-aware scan every so often will make internet surfing enjoyable. I wouldn't be with out them.

Kyle
Old 07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Banned

I use ad-aware, zone alarm and a little program called proxomitron. By itself, proxomitron virtually eliminates pop-ups, banner ads, web pages with annoying sound files, top of page frames from referring pages etc. AND, it's fully customizable. And free, though it's no longer being maintained by its creator. I believe you can still find it on the web, or you can PM me and I'll send you the install file.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by snowman
Norton Intenet Security Pro with an ad-aware scan every so often will make internet surfing enjoyable. I wouldn't be with out them.

Kyle
I'm not a big fan of Norton. I recently removed it from my computer completely because it just seems to cause problems. Right now I am using Zone Alarm for both my antivirus and firewall. Zone Alarm Antivirus picked up three possible threats when I first installed it that Norton never said a word about.

I also have AdAware and Spybot installed, but I'm thinking of removing Spybot because they are no longer providing updates.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of pop-ups??