Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Horse with watering eye

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Horse with watering eye

Here you go....

Equine Nutrition
Old 10-10-2003, 08:55 AM

F@T,

Thanks for all your info. I am always interseted in learning more about nutrition and medical care for animals, especially horses and cattle. Since I have them around, I like to be able to diagnose, or at least have some idea what needs to be done in most cases. I know there are some things that only a blood test or some other test will show. I was really suprised about how many people didn't know about flushing ducts, including myself. I asked quite a few horse people I knew, and none of them had heard of it. These are people that that had been around horses for years.

I'll look forward to reading your info on feeding. He has almost always been on sweet feed. I've only had him on my place for a year, but before that he belonged to my father-in-law, and he was on sweet feed then. In his earlier years, he was used as a barrel and roping horse, but since I've had him he's just an 'ol ranch horse, used to go check cattle and such out in the pasture.

Hopefully he'll get completely back to normal in a week or so. I am going to keep watching him, and as long as he is eating good, taking in plenty of water, and urinating properly, I'm not going to get too concerned. If he doesn't improve, I'll give the vet a call and see what other tests he can run on him.

I will give the place a once over to see about rye grass. I know there is some Johnson grass, but mostly right across the fence next to the road. I have see him leaning over the fence to get a mouth full, and I remember telling my neighbor that I couldn't understand why he would want to eat that stuff when he has 5 acres of good grass on the other side.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:50 AM

Hey f@t,

Old stock is the best stock. Supposedly he's outta Doc Bar line (isn't everybody's QH? :) got some fancy long Doc Bar name, but I never paid it no mind. Some of the best dogs I ever had didn't have papers, so I never put much stock in 'em. He's a "gray" horse and gelded, so I never put much effort into chasing down papers or bloodlines. My buddy has a mare, Mr. San Peppy on the sire side and Doc Bar line on the dam. She's nowhere near as solid as mine.....kinda reminds me of an arab dressed as a quarter
Old 10-11-2003, 10:20 AM
f@t

bobcat..I thought you were inclined to do so! I like that in a horseowner.Sounds like youve got it al covered.You take care now,and let me know how it all turns out.And get the johnsongrass out of his reach..it will cause either sudden death or accumalitive toxicity. need me,tell jack or come to the board..if I can help..I'll be glad to!

Cowhand..Doc Bar is a darn nice line.My sis had a doc bar filly that I broke and trained.she was really nice and was true to her line.grey? Thats even better still.My 3rd fav colour.I wish I could post a pic of my filly,she was a blue roan.My fav colour??? Grullio! Give me a Grullio QH,and Id be happy.
Keep me posted on how things turn out guys.

Papa...THANX for posting the link..sorry,didnt know we were down..talk to YOU Sun!! fox...
Old 10-13-2003, 08:45 AM

He's actually chesnut with a white blaze, white socks on the hind legs. By gray I mean't no papers......must be a regional thing.

Vet's coming out Wednesday, we'll see what he says......