Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Horse with watering eye

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Horse with watering eye

[quote author=JKE link=board=10;threadid=19949;start=15#msg187761 date=1064259676]
Java - I respect your ability to help this gentlemen and it is obvious that you know WAY more than I do. However, if you find his problem, won't he still have to call the vet.

PLEASE, call a vet.........
[/quote]

Calling a vet would be the first thing I'd do, and I did state to him that he should call a vet in another post on another horse-related board, and yes, he did read it--there's nothing you or I can say to MAKE him call a vet, so I'm offering what I know based on my own experiences. It is, in NO WAY, meant to serve as a substitute for professional veterinary care. You're right, he does need to call a vet....but if he doesn't and has no clue as to what he's doing and tries some sort of treatment that yields bad results, perhaps a tad bit of information from someone else in regard to what he's doing may help eliminate that chance. Not only that, but I'm trying to help him recognize potential symptoms, which would be invaluable to the vet when and IF he calls one.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:50 PM
JKE

correct, did not think of it in that capacity...I will shut up now :-X
Old 09-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Administrator

[quote author=JKE link=board=10;threadid=19949;start=15#msg187777 date=1064260259]
correct, did not think of it in that capacity...I will shut up now :-X
[/quote]
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM

Update:

Monday evening after I got home, I caught the horse and haltered him. I inlisted my wife's help (she's a nurse) and we proceeded to flush the horse's left nasolacrimal duct. I used a 20cc syringe, filled with saline solution, with a small tube attached to the end. I held the horse's nostril open while she inserted the tube into the duct and gently injected some of the solution. We got about 4cc in before he pulled back. We set-up again, and were able to inject about 8-10cc more before the fluid started flowing from the tear duct in his eye.
I didn't notice any particles coming out, may have just been plugged up with dust and dirt.

This morning he appeared to be on the mend. Thanks again Jack and Mandy for all your suggestions and help. ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 08:55 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Hows your hay? Is it very dusty? any mold or dry mold? Hasn't had any coughing lately has he? Might make sure there isn't a feeding issue. Just a couple more ideas.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:35 AM

[quote author=Redleg link=board=10;threadid=19949;start=15#msg189092 date=1064498155]
Hows your hay? Is it very dusty? any mold or dry mold? Hasn't had any coughing lately has he? Might make sure there isn't a feeding issue. Just a couple more ideas.
[/quote]

He hasn't had any hay at all for several months. I put out 1 bale a couple of months ago, but he didn't seem too interseted. He stays on 5 acres of grass, mix of coastal and native grasses, and gets about 3-4 lbs sweet feed a day. My grass has really greened up and started to come back the last few weeks. I have gotten two good rains this month, 3" one time and 3.8" another time. ;D

I do have some hay from last year that is not all that good, so I may just throw it out to the cows and start feeding the new stuff in about a month or so.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear he's on the mend!! Just keep an eye out for any changes (obviously), but it sounds like you're in good shape.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Just to add to everyone elses posts....

I have a 25 year old Appy and 2 younger TB's.

My appy has one eye at this time due to the procedure you described above. I WILL CAUTION YOU TO BE VERY CAREFUL when doing the flush procedure. I always had my vet take care of it for me - about 7 years ago, he came out - inserted the tube into her nose, and encountered a blockage. He forced the solution on. Fancy's tearducts ruptured and started to bleed rather than clear.

You may have heard of this condition as Glockcoma (sp?). Over a period of 2 years her eye was supposed to shrivil up and dye - however it did not. The eye grew larger and swelled to almost 3 times the regular size. So finally after consulting in 3 different vets, found one that would remove the eye. After the surgery - WOW what a totally different horse... She is so comfortable now, and has adjusted to only being able to see left quite well. She has had it out for coming up on 4 years now.

The one thing that I don't think was mentioned in the previous posts is that horses (believe it or not) have allergies. I think one of the posts said that your grass is starting to come back... It's very possible that the horse could suddenly have an allergy to something that is growing. The only reason I say this, is because my Fancy is a horse, and is allergic to dust... So it really sucks to be her...

anyhooo... that's it! Good luck!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:08 PM

I have the same problem with my gelding, his off eye starts watering about the same time of year that mine do. He doesn't appear to be light sensitive, isn't head shy when I get near that eye, and it doesn't happen all the time. See it when the dust gets bad and he's had a fly mask on all day. One of my dogs has the same thing goin on, but without the fly mask.

Did notice the other day that his urine was kinda milky looking. Threw another salt lick out hoping maybe he just hasn't been drinking enough water (It's still getting up and over 100* out here). That sound about right to y'all?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Cowhand link=board=10;threadid=19949;start=15#msg189359 date=1064531327]
I have the same problem with my gelding, his off eye starts watering about the same time of year that mine do. He doesn't appear to be light sensitive, isn't head shy when I get near that eye, and it doesn't happen all the time. See it when the dust gets bad and he's had a fly mask on all day. One of my dogs has the same thing goin on, but without the fly mask.

Did notice the other day that his urine was kinda milky looking. Threw another salt lick out hoping maybe he just hasn't been drinking enough water (It's still getting up and over 100* out here). That sound about right to y'all?
[/quote]

Some other things you can do to increase water consumption as well are to actually add a salt supplement to his feed and/or soak his hay in salt water, that way you can monitor how much salt he's really getting (hard telling when you've got multiple horses pastured together and only a block or two of salt, who knows who's lickin' the darn thing?? Not sure what your situation is though).

Just some ideas...
Old 09-25-2003, 10:14 PM

Call a good vet to check on him.

I have two horses and my 14 year old quarter had a kick near his right eye and causes his eye to water from the duct. No problem but I had it checked out to be sure at the time.

Note: Quarters make the best horses for kids! ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 11:26 PM

Wholie Cow-Patty!!!

Srigs - there is more silver on that saddle than there is in my whole silverware drawer...
Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 AM

[quote author=MYTRNx3 link=board=10;threadid=19949;start=15#msg189344 date=1064528755]
Just to add to everyone elses posts....

I have a 25 year old Appy and 2 younger TB's.

My appy has one eye at this time due to the procedure you described above. I WILL CAUTION YOU TO BE VERY CAREFUL when doing the flush procedure.
[/quote]

How long after the vet flushed the duct did it take to notice major problems? Was it immediate, or did it take a while?

My wife actually injected the saline, and I told her to be very careful, take it slow. It only took about 10 -12cc before it started coming out the tear duct. There didn't appear to be any obstruction in the duct.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 AM

It was immediately the duct started to bleed. YOu can get the same effect of flushing... just use a horse rated eye drop... they make that kind.

but it was instantly, there was a blockage, and it started to bleed.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:58 AM
f@t

hehe sounds like you got some ok advice.BUT..Im glad you referred it to our site Jack.Eyes are nothing to take casually.I understand Mandy helped with this,sorry I didnt see Jacks request untill today.there are a few things I want to further caution you about..One,I read where your ponie pulled back.Not a good sign.Unless he was simply being a butt,This normally means that you have encountered a blockage and forced it into the tear duct itself,lodged itself and might not necessarily come out through the duct even tho you get a flush.If this is the case,you will have problems in the near future.,OR, pushed your saline too hard or ruptured the duct itself with your catheter.also, duct blockage can become chronic,but is not normally bilateral unless disease is present.This has more than likely happened before only not to the extent you saw it this time and remydied itself.But it seems to me as though you were successful this time.However,I would keep an eye out and follow up with a good non-steroidal broad spectrum antibacterial opthelmic such as Neosporin..If you get drops,give 2drps4xa day to the eyeball itself.Ointment4xs a day applied to the inside of the upper eyelid....to prevent any secondary infection in the duct called Dacryocystitis.From what you have described,it doesnt sound as though your ponie has an corneal ulcer because it is distingushed by absence of pain and redness,but you can further investigate that by appling drops that will illuminate the ulcer.I dont think however this is the case,as your ponies eye is clearing up.Plus,you said there was no swelling or blepharospasm(squinting),which is normally the first sign of forgin object,abrasion or ulcer on the cornea.If you need any further assistance with the procedure or other information,please go to fasthorses and look under my posts.Along with many other procedures,I have done this many times and I believe I have described it in detail there.Best of luck! f@t oh and one last note..if the eye does not improve within a 24 hour period,then you need to either consider that you,ve damaged it or something else is goin on.

Quick Reply: Horse with watering eye