Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

In Honor of the Fallen

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
In Honor of the Fallen

To all who have fallen defending the principles of this Great Nation, I hope to shake each and every one of your hands upon my passing, whether I end up in heaven or hell, Thank You for making the ultimate Sacrifice to ensure my Freedom on this upcoming Memorial Day, for without Your sacrifice I may have never known the opportunity available in this Country to every man with a desire to succeed in a Free Nation. Thank You.

Kurt Miller
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great words. We should all reflect on the great cost to keep our freedom this weekend.
Thanks Kurt
Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish a peaceful and solemn Memorial day to all. For all that have gone before us, to all that have served, and to all that continue to serve, THANK YOU.

No one prays for peace more than a soldier whom has borne the burden of battle.

Everyone have a safe Memorial day weekend, Love and cherish your families,

Tim
Old 05-26-2008, 08:08 AM

Funny how a thread like this only gets 55 views and 2 responses in several days, but the breakroom threads go to multiple pages in just a few hours.

I thought we had more patriots here on DTR, with all the prior and current military that frequents this site, and with everything that is going on in this country, one would figure this thread would be 10 pages long by now. I'm off to the Massachusetts Veterans Cemetery to pay my respects.

Truly shameful,

Tim
Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim, I don't think it's a case of not being patriotic, I think many of us reflect on the meaning of this day in our own way. I've got 19 sets of dogtags hanging from my dresser that I look at and think about every morning since that day in April 1972. Sometimes it's easier to just be outside and lift your eyes to the sky and thank "Sky Six" for what ya have.

Shortround out
Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Posting on a BB thread doesn't equate to Patriotism.

If it did, there'd be billions of "Patriots" all over the world, instead of a few folks who realy give a hoot about the land that they call home.

This is the 1st year since 1991 that I have not worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the Rolling Thunder ride to DC and "The Wall" where 58,000 plus REAL patriots gave their lives in service of their country.

Something came up that I HAD to take care of.

The American & POW-MIA flags are currently flying outside my front door.

I won't be absent next year.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 PM

There are many ways each of us reflect on this day. SR I only have 1 set of my dog tags from 1964. You have given much.

Here is something that was in the church bulletin yesterday, it does not have a copy right noted on it, so I assume it is public domain.

HERE IS WHAT I THINK...
We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As TAPS began to play
The Chaplin lead a prayer
We stood with head bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.
They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.
I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But thses men lost their all.
Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say
Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore
C W Johnson
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM

Guy's, I was not knocking anyone, I just expected more posted support for our comrades here. You are all correct and I agree, most observe it in their own way. Sorry to ruffle your feathers Shovelhead, I rode this morning with a bunch of your brothers that did not make the trip to D.C.

Sorry fella's, I just feel this thread did not get the attention it deseves.

No insult meant toward anyone.

respectfully,

Tim
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Copy that Kurt,we did have a nice ceremony at The Presido though for those of long ago and far away.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Nothing seems to stir the pot quicker than someone saying someone else is "Not patriotic enough".
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I think I can... I think...

Today was the first time for me to see this thread. Had I seen it sooner I would have posted my response before today. I think that may have been the case for many others. Don't be too disheartened at the lack of response.
That being said I too wish to give homage to those who have fallen as well as those who have served or are still serving!! These folks are the true heroes of this country and deserve all of the respect we can muster!!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM

For what it's worth, sometimes words aren't enough, and trying express gratitude for what someone you never met gave their all for just seems trite.
On Sunday, one of the ladies I go to church with brought her son, fresh from Iraq (got off the plane Friday @10:30 PM- or 2230). His nickname is Preacher; he's a good kid, and a Marine. He told me that he just volunteered to go back, and I could barely hold it together just to give him a hug. What do you say to a man like that? What possible word can you use to express the depth of gratitude you feel, knowing that this son could die in combat protecting our freedom?
He is a door-kicker; house-to-house stuff looking for weapons caches and bad guys. He won't talk about it, but he's "been there".
Please keep him in your prayers.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM

hey shovelhead, i rode up from jacksonville, nc to quantico and camped out on base by lake lunga with some other brothers. we got there friday afternoon, and got back this mornin. that was my first rolling thunder ralley to go to, and i tell you what, ridin in that parade had me choked up pretty good; seein all the vets cheerin us on, saluting us, with tears in their eyes. it was truly amazing, and one of my greatest experiences ever. we then went down to arlington to visit some of my marines and friends. my first time there, and it was an experience ill never forget. ill be makin this run for years to come.
semper
Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

and i also wanted to thank all vets past and present for their dedicated and tirless service. thank you