Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Honda develops motorcycle airbag

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Honda develops motorcycle airbag

Saw this on Cnn.com
Honda develops motorcycle airbag

Thought it was cool.

~Rob
Old 09-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. It probably only works correctly if you're wearing your 3-point seatbelt at the time of the accident though.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, is dual zone air conditioning next? If it is, my wife will probably want me to trade my BMW K1200GT in for a Wing.

Rusty
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Honda said the airbag, which inflates after sensors detect an oncoming crash, is aimed at reducing injuries in a head-on collision."

That kind of scares me. What exactly is an "oncoming crash" and at what point does the airbag inflate?? Does it inflate AFTER impact or BEFORE? Sounds interesting. I'm not sure how an airbag is going to help someone on a motorcycle though.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 AM

No big deal.... Harley riders have had rear air bags for years......no wait... that is the wife.....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by widelod
No big deal.... Harley riders have had rear air bags for years......no wait... that is the wife.....

Ohhhhhh,....Wifey's gonna kick your keester........
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by widelod
OOPS..................
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
"Honda said the airbag, which inflates after sensors detect an oncoming crash, is aimed at reducing injuries in a head-on collision."

That kind of scares me. What exactly is an "oncoming crash" and at what point does the airbag inflate?? Does it inflate AFTER impact or BEFORE? Sounds interesting. I'm not sure how an airbag is going to help someone on a motorcycle though.

Thats what i was thinking, what would happen if you came close to a crash is the bag going to go off even if you dont have a crash. Its going to blow you off the back of the bike.

Coop
Old 09-08-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mainer
Thats what i was thinking, what would happen if you came close to a crash is the bag going to go off even if you dont have a crash. Its going to blow you off the back of the bike.

Coop
i just got a mental image of what that would look like sorry to laugh but i can just think of someone riding and a big *** bag blowing off and the guy gettin tossed right off the back

i would think a better airbag for a bike is one that would hold the bike up and form like pillows on either side that woudl keep the bike up and protect you when you fall
Old 09-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that Pappyman should try one out,,,,,,,,,,,,, he's already tested the one in his truck without crashing!
In every one of the arguments that I've had with my scooters,,,,, I've always stayed on till the skin started coming off at the same rate as the chrome and paint,,,,,, never did have the heart to "jump ship" before they stopped moving. The last time,,,, I did manage to get thrown far enough ahead to cushion the impact of my full dress Electra Glide and she thanked me by only breaking my jaw in three places and re-arranging a few joints here and there. Just two more inches of ground clearance and I would have made that corner,,,
Old 09-08-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
I think that Pappyman should try one out,,,,,,,,,,,,, he's already tested the one in his truck without crashing!
In every one of the arguments that I've had with my scooters,,,,, I've always stayed on till the skin started coming off at the same rate as the chrome and paint,,,,,, never did have the heart to "jump ship" before they stopped moving. The last time,,,, I did manage to get thrown far enough ahead to cushion the impact of my full dress Electra Glide and she thanked me by only breaking my jaw in three places and re-arranging a few joints here and there. Just two more inches of ground clearance and I would have made that corner,,,
LOL AHHH the memories you bring back! Jumping off is a big myth, I stay with the bike.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

whos gunna test crash it??
Old 09-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
whos gunna test crash it??
Not me.
I've already crash tested one too many bikes this year.

phox
Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 PM

I think what you need is that setup NASA had for the Mars rover or something like that. It had ballons pop out all over it when it landed and just bounced along on the ground until it stopped rolling.

In every one of the arguments that I've had with my scooters,,,,, I've always stayed on till the skin started coming off at the same rate as the chrome and paint,,,,,, never did have the heart to "jump ship" before they stopped moving.

I thought that you were supposed to climb on top and ride it like a surfboard.

The last time,,,, I did manage to get thrown far enough ahead to cushion the impact of my full dress Electra Glide and she thanked me by only breaking my jaw in three places and re-arranging a few joints here and there. Just two more inches of ground clearance and I would have made that corner,,,
That explains the sign I saw coming down Trout Creek Pass today
cautioning motorcycles that there was a curve ahead. I'd never seen a sign like that before. Was quite a drop off on the outside of that curve.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 AM

Picture

I've just posted a picture of the airbag to my members gallery. It isn't approved yet. It looks like part of a blow up doll

~Rob

Admin edit to add approved picture
Ed

Quick Reply: Honda develops motorcycle airbag