Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Handguns for home defense

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorkweed
Don't forget one thing......Empty the magazine on him! Dead men tell no tales. You may even want to shoot one into the floor or ceiling also to make it look like you're not a marksman.
Should one find themselves in an encounter that warrants the use of deadly force, one should shoot to stop the threat. When the threat is stopped then it is also time for you to stop. Anything more and you are asking for more trouble than you could ever imagine.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starvin
Should one find themselves in an encounter that warrants the use of deadly force, one should shoot to stop the threat. When the threat is stopped then it is also time for you to stop. Anything more and you are asking for more trouble than you could ever imagine.
Right.
If the first two self defense "taps" stop the intruder, the 3rd "tap" is murder, or at least attempted.

Especially if they find the slug from the 3rd tap in the floor under the perps head.

phox
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 PM

Talking If they get by my 120# German Shep....

If they get by my 120# German Shep or my 15# Min pin ....then they are in for trouble around here. I keep a Rem 870 ready. I carry a Glock 38 .45GAP. Ankle carry a Taurus .38 special with Glaser saftey slugs. Now if they come in with something good I reach for the AK-47. Then I call the sheriffs dept and wait 20 min for them to respond. I like the idea of the glaser saftey slugs. I don't think they would penetrate drywall...even if they did I don't believe it would kill you.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 PM

Springfield 1911 mil-spec that has been decked out to the hilt in the nightstand cocked and locked. Cheap ball ammo in it. Other nightstand has a single action Ruger super blackhawk loaded with six re-loads. 44 MAG 320GR jacketed hollow points. One shot with either one of those guns and youre going down. And if the intruder is wearing armor, he will still go down and if for some reason the round doesnt penetrate the armor, he will be wishing it had. Could you imagine getting hit that close with a vest on by a 320GR 44MAG? That would hurt like a SOB. You would be wishing you were dead. Oh yea, neighbors arent close enough and the house is all brick except for the roof.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:32 AM

Hovisimo, thanks for the info!

P.S. right hand is gloved for practice with cheap grip now!

Rick
Old 11-24-2005, 02:56 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Iker, this would be an example of a "Triple Tap".
The Academy used to call that "Tap, Tap, Splat" before they realized they might have to go to court withit someday.....
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense too anyone intended.
When treads like this come up I get the feeling that the ones that are doing the most talking have never had to look over the sites at a man with the intent to take his life. I pray to God that yon never have to know what it feels like. Talk is OK but when it comes to the act itself the only thing that is going to help is practice practice practice because your mind will turn to mush and your body had better know what has to be done or you’re a dead man.

Also if you ever have to fire in self defense keep a trash can handy because chances are after the fact you will yak you guts up .
Old 11-24-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What about firing a warning shot? I realize in a house thats not smart, but what about if you are outside and you percieve a threat?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER fire a "Warning Shot"
Squeezing the trigger is an action to STOP A THREAT to your life or the life of a loved one ONLY.
A warning shot will get you in very deep kimche, and one of the rules of firearm handling is
"Never point the muzzle at anything that you do not want to destroy."
Where will that warning shot go?

As for firing only until the threat is stoppped, that may be tough to do, many times the post-event investigations show that in the heat of the moment, the person (even cops) will fire to "slide-lock" without realizing it.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 AM

Shovel is 100% right.

I agree with shovel. I've only had to pull out a gun one time and I WAS going to use it. Finger on the trigger ready to go. The other individual dropped his gun and I held him there until a LEO arrived. I would have no trouble protecting the life of myself or my family. No trashcan needed here.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bigfoot
When treads like this come up I get the feeling that the ones that are doing the most talking have never had to look over the sites at a man with the intent to take his life. I pray to God that yon never have to know what it feels like. Talk is OK but when it comes to the act itself the only thing that is going to help is practice practice practice because your mind will turn to mush and your body had better know what has to be done or you’re a dead man.

Also if you ever have to fire in self defense keep a trash can handy because chances are after the fact you will yak you guts up .
Amen! Let us hope that folks take this lesson to heart. There is much wisdom in these few words.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Hate to tell most of you, but in the real life, you dont get a chance to lock the doors and sit waiting with a gun.

By the time you know whats happening they have either left due to too risky of an environment, or are on top of you stabbing or shooting you as you reach for your gun.

Theres many more news stories about people trying to defend themselves and being killed, than some good home owner fending off a robber.

The thought is nice, but for every ounce of defense you put in, theyll be even more ready with 20 times offence, and not a single care about their own or anyone elses life.

THINK before wanting to be a "hero".
Old 11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Chapter President

P12 with ball ammo as primary....
P14 "nearby"...

Both cocked n' locked.

Just in case.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Banned

I usually stay out of these threads...

But I gotta agree with bigfoot and shovel. It can't posibly be easy to to, but if you choose to pull a gun, you had better be prepared to use it, and destroy whatever you point it at. There is no warning or bluffing once things esclate to the point of deadly force. Thus the name "deadly force" and not warning force.

And thanks Shovel for reminding people. Never shoot unless you are shooting at something. And never shoot at something you don't intend to kill.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
What about firing a warning shot? I realize in a house thats not smart, but what about if you are outside and you percieve a threat?
if they intruder has 1/4 of a brain in their head, the noise of a 12ga being racked should serve as sufficient warning.

Originally Posted by bigfoot

i agree and also hope none of us ever have to use our weapons in self-defense. i think it'd be hard for any of us not to panic in such a situation.

Quick Reply: Handguns for home defense