Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gun Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gun Rack

I just bought a new gun rack over the weekend, one of the only kind that you can find these days. Its the cheap slide in the window kind. After failing several times and the items in the rack smacking my friends in the head I have decided I need a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better solution?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 05:32 AM

No clue ... I liked the old rubber coated metal ones (still got whacked in the head after a rear-end accident). Maybe you could still find one on ebay or out of a junkyard truck.

PISTOL
Old 07-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I prefer a gun case slipped behind or under the seat (depending on your cab configuration) to having a gun displayed in the back window.
No use advertising to those "Sticky Fingered" folks
or the Million? Missguided Mothers types that I have a gun in the truck.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, what Ed says.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:55 AM

San Angelo used to make the good vinyl-coated spring steel ones. I put one in the side window of my Scout many years ago and it will be used again once the truck goes back on the road.

There used to be/is? a good overhead version that kinda hides the contents up against the cab roof but I haven't seen one advertised in quite some time and have no clue how you would go about attaching one to the overhead in our trucks.

Not sure if I would want the worry of carrying a long gun in a rack these days, at least not in my yuppified area. Out in the country or up in the mountains where it is still farm/ranch land you can probably get away with it.

Like the line at the end from the recent Trace Adkins song "Rough and Ready"- "is that a real gun in that gun rack?"
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM

Overhead gun rack/storage compartment, saw them on the www.sportsmansguide.com site.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Rifle-It overhead rack is the one I had seen but I don't know how well it works. I have a Shelf-It in my truck and really like it. You can also find them on ebay and JCWhitney.

I prefer a gun case slipped behind or under the seat (depending on your cab configuration) to having a gun displayed in the back window.
Somehow, it's jut not as Redneck to have it concealed or out of site. The Redneck way is to put it in the back window. I have to agree though, I try to keep mine out of site when I have it in the truck.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:58 PM

I think the site is Goebell's or something like that. Anyway it is one of several police supply places. I used to get the catalog's. One of the supply places sold all kind of gun storage units. One's to hold the gun vertical, tucked up into the ceiling, fastened to the perp barrier, etc. All kinds of innovative place's. When I get home next week I will try to dig up an old catalog and give you some addresses. Otherwise, maybe there is a current Enforcer of The Law out there who can help quicker. I didn't catch where you lived before I replied, there used to be real good cop shop in Lafayette,LA that had lot's of stuff and catalog's from all the manufacturers.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. For the record when I travel my long guns are in thier cases and hidden, I would like to use the rack mostly for quick runs inbetween hunting spots. The overhead rack sounds like the best option for me. thanks guys
Old 07-09-2005, 09:11 AM

Cabellas has some stuff like that too.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Does the truck with a gun rack have the right of way over the truck with the biggest tires
Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Mike
I think the site is Goebell'sl:
Bet you are thinking of GALL's. Check at www.galls.com or 1-888-831-9824.

HTH

Ed
Old 07-09-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by sherod
Bet you are thinking of GALL's. Check at www.galls.com or 1-888-831-9824.

HTH

Ed
Yeah, That's it. Hey cut me some slack. I'm 8,000mi from home and I haven't looked at it in a while. It did start with a G and have ll's at the end. I just screwed up the middle.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:43 PM

I don't have a preferance, they all aeem to work well..............for my toques.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dssimecek
Does the truck with a gun rack have the right of way over the truck with the biggest tires
Someone else can help me out here but I think that only gun racks in the window count for right-of-way. Inconspicuous ones like roof mount aren't visible and thus don't count. I believe that the rule is that an empty gun rack does not trump tire size but a gun rack with a gun or guns in it does trump tire size (bull whips and electric cattle prods don't count). Then it comes down to which truck has the most guns in its rack or if they both have the same number of guns, then it's back to tire size.

Clear enough?

Quick Reply: Gun Rack