Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gun control

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gun control

Doctors:

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14% .

Statistics are courtesy of the U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services.

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80
million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875% Statistics
are courtesy of the FBI

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than
gun owners. Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors
before this gets completely out of hand!!! Out of concern for the public at
large, I have withheld statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause
people to panic and seek medical help.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is unfortunate that not all, but most of those on the "left" can't understand common sense. We should have banned cars a long, long time ago if you compare the statistics....

Chris
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparing apples and oranges, but the point is made.

Besides, as the saying goes, gun control means hitting what you aimed for.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Hoss

Besides, as the saying goes, gun control means hitting what you aimed for.
What he said.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 AM

I thought gun control was a dead issue, since it got relabeled gun safety. and the bullits are sooo unsafe that a certain group is trying to make a lot of ammo illeagal, so that makes the gun safe. The next one that concerns me is all the new laws that are being adopted that are felonies and some past missdemeanors crimes are being changed to fellonies. Now a person with a felony can not have or own a fire arm. (I don't know all the guidelines) But what a nice way to dissarm americans in the name of safety. Yes there are certain criminals that should never have a gun, but there are a lot felony crimes that have nothing to do with a gun but they can't have a gun afterwards or go hunting with a firearm. The gov of NM is going crazy with new laws and changing missdemeanors to felonies. He is going overboard on DWI and getting tough on crime. It is still leagal to carry open firearms here and he can't change that, so the felony issue will get a lot of guns taken away in the name of safety and nobody dares to speak out against it, after all they are a felon, right? I think our law makers need to be put in check and the people need to be able to vote on new laws and politician salaries and increases. JMO
Old 08-04-2005, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by Hemi Cat
I thought gun control was a dead issue, since it got relabeled gun safety. and the bullits are sooo unsafe that a certain group is trying to make a lot of ammo illeagal, so that makes the gun safe. The next one that concerns me is all the new laws that are being adopted that are felonies and some past missdemeanors crimes are being changed to fellonies. Now a person with a felony can not have or own a fire arm. (I don't know all the guidelines) But what a nice way to dissarm americans in the name of safety. Yes there are certain criminals that should never have a gun, but there are a lot felony crimes that have nothing to do with a gun but they can't have a gun afterwards or go hunting with a firearm. The gov of NM is going crazy with new laws and changing missdemeanors to felonies. He is going overboard on DWI and getting tough on crime. It is still leagal to carry open firearms here and he can't change that, so the felony issue will get a lot of guns taken away in the name of safety and nobody dares to speak out against it, after all they are a felon, right? I think our law makers need to be put in check and the people need to be able to vote on new laws and politician salaries and increases. JMO
I'm against most government-imposed gun control. I'm a strong believer in responsible, law-abiding people having and exercising their right to own firearms, but I don't believe people who commit felonies should. Even if their crime didn't involve the use of a firearm or other weapon, it's their behavior that does and should disqualify them from possessing firearms. It's all about complying with the rules of society. Are there some convicted felons that would be responsible firearms owners? Sure, but 99% of convicted felons committed their crimes knowing their behavior could have serious consequences - it was their conscious decision to break the law.

Now, as far as DWI, I'm sure first time offenders aren't charged with a felony - that normally comes into play after multiple DWI arrests. In Arizona, the third DUI within 60 months (or the second when on a suspended license for a prior DUI) becomes a felony. With very few exceptions, people who are charged with a felony DUI offense have a serious substance abuse problem...not exactly the kind of person you want possessing a deadly weapon.

If you don't like what your governer or elected officials are doing in regards to changing the laws, contact them to express your displeasure, and start working to get them removed from office, either via recall or when the next election rolls around.

Oh, and one last tidbit: Most states have some provision for people convicted of non-violent felonies to have their rights restored. So, someone with a felony fraud charge, for example, may be permitted to possess firearms once they successfully complete probation or after a certain period of time. In many cases, having a felony conviction doesn't mean giving up the right to possess or own firearms for life.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 AM

Don't pull the hammer back until you've come to a complete safe stop.

Imagine this happening to you.
It's just turning daylight and you wake up to the sound of your dog in the fight of its life with a couple of viscous dogs in the neighborhood. You look out the window and see your dog being mauled in the throat in an obvious fight for its life.
Before you read on, ponder for a minute what you would do...
This happened to my friend Mr. M this past Monday morning. He grabs his shotgun where he keeps it at the ready and slides into his flip-flops and runs outside. He raises his 20ga and pulls the hammer back. Before he can stop his momentum, his feet fly out from under him and he hits the ground hard. The impact with the ground causes him to pull the trigger and he shoots himself in the ankle severing his right foot. The ground was wet and he was wearing flip-flops.
I’m sharing this here because few of us can trust our instincts during the heat of the moment. It pays to practice all the scenarios you can think of with an unloaded weapon no matter how foolish you look running outside in your underwear.
Nat
Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 AM

Historically, every human being that has ever eaten a carrot has eventually died.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Nevada
Historically, every human being that has ever eaten a carrot has eventually died.
And everyone that reads this board will eventually die too.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dan Brooks, well said.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM

well i copied thie DR thig and sent it out to some of my friends, this is the reply i got from my one friend who happens to BE A DOCTOR........

The scary thing is that I beleive the 120,000 number to actually be low. A lot get covered up. In addition, let's not discount the number of "accidents" that may not kill a person, but cause them irreparable harm.

now its even scarier than before huh?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL Check Humor I posted this earlier in the week
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 AM

The people that make this a problem are the ones who dont think before pulling the trigger. Everyone used to know how to shoot, when to shoot and why to shoot.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:25 PM

gun control is using two hands..
Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 PM

there should be a rule against posting email forwards. this is probably the 37th time i've read this. the logic and statistics are a stretch.

Quick Reply: Gun control